Rachuig

Brenton_Davy said:
How many times did we falter at the last hurdle with silly basic mistakes like missed single pins. Would not some improved preparation have possibly - just possibly - avoided some of those mistakes?

I also remember all the training sessions we did last year starting sparing endles amout of 7 & 10 pins. I still remember everybody missing plenty of easy spares in Novemeber.

Brenton_Davy said:
you remember 1987? Weekly super circuit sessions and training regularly. Didn't we win that year? With what had been touted as the worst side to leave SA in decades? Came from behind the all powerful Vics after lunch the last day and brimming with confidence?

Jesus Brenton, 1987 you have to be kidding, the only thing about that year I remember was throwing up in your suitcase & thats a little vague.

Brenton_Davy said:
I have also been involved in a lot of those 2nd placings. Many of those were so close, I have always believed that with the right preparation, we might have got over the line a few of those times. I know Tony and guys like yurac and Dolly won't agree with me, but just think about it.

It's easy to look back over the last 20 years & go what if, what if, what if (sorry i'm stuttering). This unfortunately is NOT a professional sport in Australia. Does'nt matter how much everybody would like it to be & how much people say they want it to be. "IT AINT, BUILD A BRIDGE". Other nations like Malaysia do this sort of thing week in week out. Thats what they are paid to do when they are selected in the National Team. (notice the 5th word of the last sentence PAID) We are a group of people coming together for a 3 day event. National teams such as Malaysia do it week in week out because they are travelling all over the world bowling. It's there job.
State teams in the past did the best they did with what they knew. And yes, in those days we were getting the best 7 trying out every year.

Lets go the whole way & drag 7 kids of the street. Get them training 7 days a week, nutrition programs, gym programs, phycology session 2-3 times a week for 5 months. You've got the perfect winning team. DOES'NT SEEM TO MATTER THAT THEY DONT HAVE ANY BOWLING ABILITY IN THERE ENTIRE BLOODY BODY.
But hell they looked good. And when you get back from Rachuig you can just turn them off & stuff em in the closest for 7 months, then drag them out, re-activate them & train the living S.H.I.T. out them again for the same result the next year.

Brenton,
I don't want to start with you as your ability in bowling far excedes many people, you can be the worlds best motivator, but remember at the other end of the scale you exceed in that area as well, but I'm not going there.

Most of us handle our emotions quite well when not performing up to our expectations, unlike some!!!! Which can put pressure on the rest of the team.
Cheers
Tony Stoppel

Brenton_Davy said:
Rob, its about getting the best 7 to go about it the right way..

The right way for who. Every bowler is differnet & as I said before ramming the same thing down everyones throat might be benificial for some & detrimental to others.

Who's to say who's right. Maybe somewhere in the middle. The only people that can put us in that middle area is the the people who run the show. The bowlers are only the sheep that turn up & do what there told.

There has been numerous replies saying there needs to be flexibility.

Could'nt agree more.

Lets see if anyone else except the Bowler can show a little bit of flexibility. Enough of this BULLS.H.I.T. attitude "if you dont like it dont bowl" that went out with the ark as some other States have shown. Seems like S.A. is one of the last ones to come out of the dark ages where this is concerned.

Brenton_Davy said:
I have also been involved in a lot of those 2nd placings. Many of those were so close, I have always believed that with the right preparation, we might have got over the line a few of those times. I know Tony and guys like yurac and Dolly won't agree with me, but just think about it. How many times did we falter at the last hurdle with silly basic mistakes like missed single pins. Would not some improved preparation have possibly - just possibly - avoided some of those mistakes?.

Why is it we always look back at previous years when the team has'nt won and blame preperation.

Maybe the guys that won bowled a little better on the day.

Hell the teams we were finished behind (NSW & VIC) had great teams and with the population base in those 2 states they are going to obviously have a better % of high quality bowlers to choose from

After reading this thread for the last couple of weeks, I feel it is time to offer my thoughts. My comments may upset a few people, that is not my intention, therefore I apologise in advance if I do.

Bear in mind, I will never be of the class to even think about rolling off for Rachuig, but what standard I bowl has nothing to do with my train of thought. It was suggested that I use my huge handicap and roll off for DeVeer this year, but the same standards are enforced there as are being suggested by some on this forum for Rachuig. And that is EXACTLY the reason I am not rolling off - too much say by the powers that be, ie team meetings, team dinners, HAVING to stay in the same motel and etc etc etc. I go to Nationals to bowl restricted events, do some business, support our sponsored bowlers and see some friends - nobody is going to take my choice of doing those things away from me with the restrictions that are set.

I agree 100% with Lorna, Chin and Tony - every person is an individual case with individual desires and needs. I know how I felt being away at Nationals for two weeks last year, missed my kids hugely (and the wife for that matter too;) ). I can fully understand Lorna not wanting to be away from her gorgeous little one for even a week, let alone whether she is actually ABLE to. We all know Tony is never going to win either an Olympic 100 metre sprint or run a marathon, but can the boy bowl !!!!!!! and that is what this discussion is all about.

Contrary to the thoughts of many, tenpin bowling is alongside golf as the two most individual and NON-TEAM sports in the world. Once that ball has left your hand, there is nobody halfway down the lane who can change it's course and THAT makes it an individual sport. Therefore, we have to look at how the best results can be attained by individual bowlers for a "group score". In some cases all the rah rah crap may be the way to go, team bonding (a phrase I loathe), living in each others pockets for 5 days (you spend enough time with the same people in the marathon bowling sessions during Rachuig without having to eat, sleep and shower with each other), team meetings and etc. For others, spending spare time with young ones, doing what you would normally do with your family, having a quiet beer with your mates and etc will get a far better INDIVIDUAL performance to go into the "group's score".

I have coached successfully in amateur and country football for many years. Even the most senior coach at AFL level takes into account every player's individual needs and no two players train exactly the same, and yet that is a TEAM sport where if someone screws up in the process of getting the ball through the goals, there is someone there to fix it in that particular passage of play. As I said before, in our game, there is nobody who can change anything in our passage of play (throwing a ball down the lane once it has left one's hand).

Perhaps qualification for Rachuig should be based on results of several tournaments.

• Minimum requirement of say 5 tournaments out of a selection of 8 (therefore giving the individual the opportunity to do other things with his/her life), best performances (placings) and then highest averages if need be (this can be tricky as different conditions relate to different scoring levels), determines who makes the group.
  • Have the opportunity offered to stay in the same place for the sake of discount bookings, but if an individual or family, including a single Mum and child want to stay with friends or in different accomodation, let them.
  • Have the opportunity for people to go to fitness classes etc if they WANT TO
  • Forget the "training sessions", instead have discount bookings at centres for sessions where the group can go to practice exclusively and get some advice etc if they WANT IT
  • When away, have a team meeting ONLY if it is necessary rather than go through the same rah rah motivational crap (for some it is anti-motivational, believe me) every day for no reason

Obviously there have to be some rules, in my opinion they should be limited as all representatives are mature adults.

• Check in times must be adhered to
  • If a NECESSARY "team" meeting is called for a specific reason, attendance is compulsory
  • Every player is to present themselves in a fit condition to play
  • Any issues, concerns or disputes are to be addressed to the group manager
  • Performance dictates selection

In summary, regardless of a person's training methods, selection should be performance driven. Consideration must be taken into account for individuals' differing lifestyles, work schedules, family commitments and personal needs. If such due considerations are made, you will find a happier group who will perform better when it counts. Who would we rather have representing our state, a whippet like Tony Stoppel who is pissed off with having to attend irrelevant training sessions or the Tony we all know and love who does it his way and bowls the house down with a 220 average when it counts? The answer is simple surely!

Max

Max,

And you tell me your busy doing stock orders at 3 am :D
Just where do you find the time.;)

Btw good readimg that

Max,
You have my vote to run this state any time.
Everything you have said makes 100% sense.

Well except the quote " Tony we all know and love "

I am sure many will disagree on that point..................

I'm not the best bowler and never will be......all I ever wanted to do is be as competitive as I can and make a difference..!!!!

You have such valid points I only wish the committee would adopt this approach.

cheers

Tony Stoppel

Bowling Balls Australia said:
Perhaps qualification for Rachuig should be based on results of several tournaments.

• Minimum requirement of say 5 tournaments out of a selection of 8 (therefore giving the individual the opportunity to do other things with his/her life), best performances (placings) and then highest averages if need be (this can be tricky as different conditions relate to different scoring levels), determines who makes the group.
  • Have the opportunity offered to stay in the same place for the sake of discount bookings, but if an individual or family, including a single Mum and child want to stay with friends or in different accomodation, let them.
  • Have the opportunity for people to go to fitness classes etc if they WANT TO
  • Forget the "training sessions", instead have discount bookings at centres for sessions where the group can go to practice exclusively and get some advice etc if they WANT IT
  • When away, have a team meeting ONLY if it is necessary rather than go through the same rah rah motivational crap (for some it is anti-motivational, believe me) every day for no reason

Obviously there have to be some rules, in my opinion they should be limited as all representatives are mature adults.

• Check in times must be adhered to
  • If a NECESSARY "team" meeting is called for a specific reason, attendance is compulsory
  • Every player is to present themselves in a fit condition to play
  • Any issues, concerns or disputes are to be addressed to the group manager
  • Performance dictates selection

Max

Nice read Max ! You have some good points , but I still believe the teams should stay together. By all means get extra rooms for family if need be. Last year was priceless with the amount fun we had staying together and travelling together as stated before comprimise with individual needs , but I believe that team should always stay together and travel together(whilst away).

I also believe that we need team meetings too , we only really have team meetings during the 3 days of rachuig , which I think is good. and training sessions , by all means we need them but also cater for the individuals who may or may not be able to swim or do gym etc or that are doing it already, I feel it did help my preparation but maybe not be so full on 5 months b4 we leave---- increase the moth or 6 weeks prior to departure.

I woul also like some feedback as to the tournament selection similar to what SQ are doing , may be a different way to get bowlers back .It seems like a great idea from what I have read on the forum.

There is no right or wrong --- these are people who have oppinions and no one will have the exact same oppinion/suggestion all the time.

anyway thats just my thoughts and on that note I wish all bowlers male and female the very best of luck next weekend See you all at Norwood on Saturday!

There's one point I still want to make is that even as the bowlers bowl as a team over in Rachuig , You are still bowling against your opponent individually to get that point. and if your team is good enough they get that valuable team point.

Tash as far the team staying together, well I cant see the difference except the social side of things, if it helps you bowl and mental state , I cant say ya or nay if staying in the same room helps you.

cheers tony

Hi All, just thought l would put my 2 cents worth in and some would say thats probably too much...however based on the ATBSO (Seniors Competition) would it be possible for a few of you people to get together and start a comp that meets approx every month and plays 6 games (scratch and or handicap) as do the Seniors and throughout the year each member would have to play X amount of Tournaments (Seniors its 7 out of 12) to qualify for the rolloff for Rachuig... Also by having such a comp you would be able to hold various fund raising events throughout the year so as to ease the burden on bowlers that make the team... Spence could be the man to start such an organisation???
Anyway just my thought whether its good or bad...Tony Long

Anthony L said:
Hi All, just thought l would put my 2 cents worth in and some would say thats probably too much...however based on the ATBSO (Seniors Competition) would it be possible for a few of you people to get together and start a comp that meets approx every month and plays 6 games (scratch and or handicap) as do the Seniors and throughout the year each member would have to play X amount of Tournaments (Seniors its 7 out of 12) to qualify for the rolloff for Rachuig... Also by having such a comp you would be able to hold various fund raising events throughout the year so as to ease the burden on bowlers that make the team... Spence could be the man to start such an organisation???
Anyway just my thought whether its good or bad...Tony Long

Tony Long ..... thankyou for your input I think it is something that should be looked at by all means.:D and yep Spence may just be the man to start it!;)

Tony .. you do make good points thankyou .... I have always known a team to stay together I was used to that in shield and just assumed it was like that in Rachuig ...... and so far the teams have always stayed together it's all I have known I believe in it too but times change and everything else seems to change over a period of time too .

Tash said:
Tony .. you do make good points thankyou .... I have always known a team to stay together I was used to that in shield and just assumed it was like that in Rachuig ...... and so far the teams have always stayed together it's all I have known I believe in it too but times change and everything else seems to change over a period of time too .

I also ment to say that I think the teams should continue to stay and travel together while away too........ but as I said earlier times change and most things do too but not everything has to change!

CHIN said:
Hell, in the 80's & 90's the teams we finished 2nd behind (NSW & VIC) had great teams and with the population base in those 2 states they are going to obviously have a better % of high quality bowlers to choose from

That is exactly why we need all our top bowlers available. The smaller States in population like SA, TAS, ACT, WA, NT & QLD are behind the 8 ball before we start.

States like NSW & VIC are going to produce a far bigger % of top line bowlers in the country to select there teams from because of there greater population base.

Does'nt matter if the likes of Belmo, Walsh, Lean & Little dont bowl for NSW one year, there 2nd string team has been in the past been more than capable to win it for them.

What I want to know is, how are we supposed to enter when we never see an entry form anywhere? I'm at my centre every week and the only one I saw was for the Restricted. Was that the entry form??

Seems to me advising TBA members of the availability to enter would be a good start!

King

That is something to take up with your centre. Entry forms were emailed to ALL associations and centre management as well as forms posted and emailed to some bowlers who entered last year.

do any of you ever watch the tv show called grumpy old men , then go back and look at all the postings,
may be most of you should give up bowling and retire to a rocking chair. just my opion

Zulu,
Yeah, that'll solve the problem all the oldies will quit......lets send the experienced shield team away instead. I'm sure that's the answer.

Tell me Adrian, without any help from KK what's the answer you propose.

Cheers

Tony

my daughter has nothing to do with anything i post been reading these post for a long time.

king keroppi said:
What I want to know is, how are we supposed to enter when we never see an entry form anywhere? I'm at my centre every week and the only one I saw was for the Restricted. Was that the entry form??
Seems to me advising TBA members of the availability to enter would be a good start!

Which centre do you bowl at? Speak to your centre manager or your Centre Association Secretary. We certainly received entry forms which were put on the front counter for everyone as well advertising in our Centre Newsletter and on the walls around the Centre. Consequently I know of quite a few of our Centre members who are trying out for both Rachuig and DeVeer teams this weekend.

To all Salisbury members, I hope you all bowl extremely well over the 3 days of trials and it would be great to be able to write in the Newsletter an impressive list of Salisbury bowlers who make the Teams. Good luck to all who are trying out.

Back
Top Bottom