Rachuig

CHIN

What do we have to do to get our best bowlers interested in Rachuig again.

Obviously we need some changes to get some of these guys interested again because over the last 2-3 years without them we have'nt been getting the results in October & November.

Over the last 2-3 years we have been able to field better teams that didnt try out for Rachuig.

Rob we asked ourselves the same question here in S.Qld. How do we get the best to turn out for Rachuig?

In the end we put it in the too hard basket, and changed our thinking to how can we simply get more bowlers to try out for Rachuig?

We achieved that, we got the numbers up to a respectable level, and some of the scores coming out of our first round are very respectable indeed.

How the eventual team will finish up in Tasmania remains to be seen, but I am now starting to think that if we can continue to attract more bowlers to our State roll-off we just may discover a whole new bunch of top guns.

Hey Chinner, people are not trying out for rachuig because our board and management keep treating them like children. They forget that people have to work on weekends to pay to go away, they have families to think of and they are over the age of 18.

If they want people to come back to Rachuig they have to forget that this sport is not professional sport in this country. Realise that people can't train every weekend and accept that we don't live in a perfect world and people need to have their families with them and can't just push them aside to bowl.

They also needs to remember that kids are the future of this game, and if they keep treating the adults the way they are now, these parents won't encourage their kids to tryout to be a state rep.

Hey Revs,

You seem to have a lot to say,but why dont you stop hiding behind your anonymity and tell us who you are so that you might get some sought of response or answer to your statements......just a thought

Cheers for now

Paul Kanafa

Well Paul

If you have been around bowling as long as I have you should know who I am, as I got my name from another state bowler one year at rachuig

Mizz Revs,

I do know who you are,i was just hoping you could enlighten all of the members and guests on Totalbowling,TBASA board members and Rachuig management that might not be aware of your name.

As i said before,dont be shy,tell everyone who you are.......

Cheers for now

Paul Kanafa

Revs,
Fantastic comments, couldn't agree with you more re treatment of rachuig bowlers.

And yes my name is Tony Stoppel................

In reply to you Paul yes it is me Lorna, and if you want me to say more I will. By saying that some of the stipulations the board and management have put into place over the last couple of years have only been done since I've had my little one and if push comes to a shove I'll spell it out that it seems very personal to me.

And in my opinion is since they've tried to make this a professional sport, SA have never sent their best team away because people have had to withdraw because of all their rules and regulations.

To try Out or Not to Try Out that is the question ?

Why does one want to represent the state you bowl in?
I can tell you that it is not that the money - because you mainly pay
out money & get nothing back (money that is).
So all you really have left is the want/prestige of representing your
State in the sport you love to do.

As someone who has been bowling for about 20 years (I cant believe I have been bowling for so long) it has never really been promoted to me or fellow
bowlers that I have bowled with over the years.
Actually some asked me the other day what is Rachuig. To be honest I knew of it but not what is really means or where it comes from. I have scince found out more about it.

I think it needs to be promoted in new ways - not just leaving some
forms on the bench - may be sending letters to high average bowlers.
I dont have all the answers. But perhaps to the powers that be - we need
to sit down with bowlers & some industry people who know how to promote
events like these to inject some life into State representive bowling.

This will be the first year (not the last) I will be trying to represent.
but for the sake of our sport - lets get everyone involved.

Dave Kuhn

P.S Paul do you have an actual opinion ?

Hey Guys,

I can tell you it’s just not you guys down here with Rachuig problems. South Qld has had very similar arguments up there. We don’t know what all the answers are but this year we did promote it a hell of alot better and have already seen an improvement in numbers.

As for the in house bitching, rules and regs well we have tried to fix that by being a self managed team and let the TEAM make most of the decisions.
Yes this helped in some ways but not all but we will learn from that and make more changes.

Perhaps with most states having issues maybe it should be looked upon on a National level not each state has different rules and regs.
What we made the State body see this year is that they are sending away adults and not children and you can’t take someone out of there comfort zone and expect them to perform. This year was the first year we could have couples stay together and this has been an issue in the past.

Good luck with your roll offs and interested to see your comments about it.

Before I cast any opinions, I first have to say, that with regret, I am unable to participate in Rachuig this year due to family commitments around the time of the nationals that I am unable to avoid. I wish everyone the best of bowling in the trials and the tournament.

NOW........

I am of the opinion that the direction the Rachuig team has taken the last 12 months is the correct one that, in the long term, will reap benefits for SA in this competition. I know that many of the established players in SA will heartily disagree with me, but that is my opinion. Sure our results the last couple of years haven't been the best (far from it in fact), however, given the relative lack of depth, I think they are results that were bound to happen sooner or later.

Are we trying to be "too professional"? No I don't think so. For so many years we took away teams that were capable of winning that fell over at the last hurdle when the pressure was on. Would they have performed better with a good preparation? I believe so. I am a great believer in the 6 P's - Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. I just feel there has been too much of a "It'll be alright on the night" attitude to previous Rachuigs and honorable 2nds have been accepted too easily.

Revs.... We have discussed this many times and you know my feelings on the subject of having the little one with you at Rachuig. I just feel that when we make commitments to family, that family must come first and the associated sacrifices that go with it. I also feel that it is for the good of the team that there ar eno more distractions than absolutely necessary while the team is away. I know you disagree with this, but there we must agree to disagree. The decisions we make in relation to our families have consequences that reach far into the future and we have to sometimes sacrifice our personal wants and ambitions to fulfil our commitments to those decisions. As a result, I won't be going this year as I have to look after the family while my wife studies for her Honours exams and completes her thesis. It hurts me greatly not to be able to represent SA this year, but "thems the breaks".

If we go back to the old ways, I feel the last 12 months will have been totally wasted.

Brenton,
Somethings I agree with you and some I don't.
1. If I were to try out for rachuig, if I were to make it or not while the pre training i agree with up to a point but where it moves out of my comfort range I totaly disagree with. Swimming (which I cant) etc...I dont do now so why do it leading up to rachuig !!! As goes with many other aspects of the Laws you must do and abide by.
2. Same with what you eat or drink over at rachuig. If I drink say coke while I bowl here I would expect the same over there during the nationals.

Too much petty crap to deal with and thats why I'm going to enjoy Seniors hopefuly this year because they don't have that problem.
You have to keep the bowlers happy up to a point considering the amount of expense it takes for you to go.
And trust me those seconds we had while some were close, I don't think some of the things they want you to do would have made any difference.
We are not professionals, it just a group of 7 individuals coming together for a week out of one year to try and win what was once a premier and enjoyable event.

cheers
tony

Thank you very much for your opinions Brenton and as the Mens Captain last year you saw first hand what the Coaches and Management were trying to achieve.

Moving right along.......I believe that this year we will have a large injection of Youth Bowlers trying out for the team.The likes of Alex,(300 at his first Rachuig) Dion, Matt, Ashley, Streaty, Tavis, the two Scotties....(4 of these bowlers were in the team that won the Presidents Shield Boys Trophy back to back).These same bowlers travel to Tournies Australia wide on a regular basis and are match toughened.

As well as the above Youth bowlers there are the Bowlers that made the Team last year as well as those that just missed out,and i am led to believe that some of the bowlers that made the team and some that missed the team have taken it upon themselves to find coaches and try to improve there games so as to improve there chances of making the 2006 team.........all very positive!!

So in closing i am very cofident that the 2006 Rachuig Team will be building on last years strenghts and bowl and represent South Australia with PRIDE and FIERCE determination in Hobart.

Cheers for now

Paul Kanafa.

p.s. It is with regret to here that you will not be rolling off this year Brenton. A more LOYAL, PASSIONATE, FIERCE competitor i have yet to meet,good luck and hope to see you roll off in 2007.

Brenton,

I know we have discussed about having families around many a time, but what really gets to me is for 2 years our state association were very happy to take my nomination money and then turn around and put conditions down on my son. This is what bloody sucks, and thats why I said that families going along with rachuig team became very personal.

Revs,

One thing i have learnt from all the crap in this state over the past 3 years,

THERE IS WAAAY MORE TO LIFE THAN BOWLING! Especially in South Australia.

Good luck to all those that are rolling off in a couple weeks, hope its what you think it all is...

Later
Martina

I know many of you have been to a great deal more Rachuigs than I have and probably wont really think much of what I have to say. However I'm going to put my opinion forward anyway.
I came straight out of Sheild into Rachuig and found a huge difference. I read alot about people saying you were being treated like children from the rules and regulations. Yet if you thought back to Sheild you would see the freedom of being in Rachuig. Yes families weren't allowed in the cabins but its not like they were banned intirely. An idea for this problem would be to do as the Youth did. Incorperate the families allow them to eat tea with the team, travel with the team etc etc. But when it came to sleeping and bowling they were seperate. This worked extremely well as you can see through the results we obtained.
Also on the rules and regulations as far as I knew, all of these rules were known before we started but that may have been just something I heard rather than read.
Alot of what was done last year was to prove that SA is a state not to be messed with and to be respected. The biggest thing you look for in representing your state. So all the preparations of eating properly and our hot and cold showers, were there to improve our image and as I saw it, it worked. SA was seen as a team of bowlers that were there to bowl. Not 7 people brought together for a week to try and bowl and have fun. Don't get me wrong we had a great time last year even when we were bowling and definately afterwards.
So before you try putting down what was put out there to help, go out and try it. You never know you just might like it.

All the best Louie

P.S. Sorry to hear your not trying out this year Brenton but I'm sure we'll see you next year.

Louie, I am not putting people dow, I am trying to make a point people shouldn't keep changing the starting point.

It is great to hear that youth incorporated families in your travelling but this is where the board/management changed the starting post with rachuig, for me anyway.

I wish everyone who is trying out heaps of luck bowling and hope those who make the team have a great time while. But alas I been bitten once too often by our state association/board/management so I'll will never be there again.

Louie hon, your oppinion and thoughts do count irrespective of how many rachuigs you have been too , we are all allowed to express our oppinion regardless of how many years you have bowled Rachuig:cool:

While not everyone will agree with everything that is done in the lead up to rachuig and while the team is away some things are beneficial and some things may not be . Last year our 14 bowlers and 3 management team had an absolute ball , we bowled fantastic and while we did not get silverware we damn well tried 110% to get it and we bonded as a team we had fun as a team and I will always have many fond memories of 2005!:D

I have my oppions on what i liked and disliked , while I am not a huge fan of recovery sessions, I did it and had fun - apart when our dear coach and chinner desided that seaweed was my new best friend!;)

Yes I am a mother too and while I believe in a lot of things and disagree with others does not make me a bad person for having my oppinion , and with 2 bowlers at state level in my clan can be difficult too but we have alot of support from our family .
Some are not as lucky as us to have the support we do. While we may or may not agree with some decisions made we all have to understand that unless we are in that position do we have a right to judge things without knowing the full facts ? on the other hand we have to understand that we are all entitled to our oppinion, at the end of the day it is us that make the decisions on what we do in our lives and noone has the right to tell us what we should and should not do in it.
I believe south Australia is moving forward from the past and thats not a bad thing is it ? GO SA
thats just my thoughts
I look forward to seeing you at trials in 2 weeks , and Brenton sorry to hear you wont be at rachuig this year I am sure we will see you back in 2007 .

It's good to see the "young ones" having their opinion on a event which has changed so much over over the years. With the downfall in numbers over the years in tournaments and the lack of depth in this state it's unfortunate to see the way things have turned out for bowling in general. I can't comment on president sheild because I didn't ever bowl in comp. as a junior. What I have seen in later years as an observer was most of the politics was in the back rows with committees and parents who "knew best". In adults, politics reigned with committees, and bowlers were treated like children. Most of the committee members never bowled rachuig or at that level in their life.
We had the ATBA back then (80s & 90s) which gave a lot of recognised bowlers match play experience plus we had many bowlers that just had what it takes.
It's good to see now there are girls showing a lot of promise and already have acheived good wins, guys really need to work on it a bit harder.
Lorna..what can I say. Simple, as much as you would like to take bubs with ya and stay with the team. Not really a good idea. Too much distraction for you and the rest of the team.
Louie..It is just 7 bowlers trying to come together and bond and do the job in hand.
We are not professionals and never will be, but it doesn't hurt to pretend!
Its been a long time since rachuig wins, even though we have been close many times.
This approach "they" are trying to do with the lead up to rachuig, training, eating , exercises, all great (more for the young) and only if it's going to be 24/7. I, and many other bowlers have bowled successfully for many years in the body they are in. Who says doing all this extra stuff is going to be beneficial? To my overall health maybe but my bowling? It may even have the opposite effect. If it aint broke......
Lets get back to what Robbie originally stated. How can you get bowlers back that will make a difference to the game. But then again do you really want that??!!!!
My bowling ability is limited probably because I spent most of my early years trying to make tournaments better for others (I was Tournament Director for ATBA(SA) and did their scoring and computer work for over 10 years). I do know that in some tournaments I can make a difference and finished higher up than most, which says a lot for the rest of you.............
Certainly I don't have the answers here for you. I'm out with the old and not in with the new!!!!
On another note I would like to congratulate Jo Babic on her role. Lets hope you will make the difference needed in this state.
cheers
Tony Stoppel.

First let me say that Brenton it is a great shame to hear you wont be trying out this year, you give so much to the SA team and your passion I am yet to see matched by a bowler. Your passion and commitment to the SA team has provided me with something to strive for in my captaincy of the shield team these past three years and I dearly hope you will be back in 2007.

Secondly I was shocked at the Rachiug team in my Mum's first year of management. I couldn't believe that the Shield kids were having physical conditioning, psychology lectures and were interested in nutrition while the Rachiug bowlers, who are our States elite and should be looked up to by the Shield kids, were doing nothing of the sort. People wonder why Bowling is not considered a sport and the answer is right here at the highest level of national competition in our sport we have unfit people who are not eating properly and not conducting themselves as the 'elite athletes' they are. Yes Tony I understand you guys have got results in the past from the old ways, but with the young competition like Belmo, Jarrod and Glen to name a few who are doing all these things the old ways wont cut it anymore. More is known and available now to us about recovery, about nutrition so why don't we use it for the better. The Shield team has used this information and I think they have two gold medals for it, do they not? I think they way to win Rachiug will be to go down the 'professional' path because the proof is there, I know the Shield team wouldn't have been as successful if we hadn't had done the fitness! Why? Because recovery times would have been longer and we would have still been tired the third day from the first day let alone the second. We couldn't have done it without the Psychology or the Nutrition as well, these aids are there to help us so why don't we use them?

Finally at the Barossa Cup I made an interesting observation, Colin Hunt was eating fruit nearing the final stepladder, and who won the 2005 Barossa Cup? I believe the direction of the Rachuig team in the last twelve months is a step in the right direction and people need to move outside their comfort zones to get the best out of themselves. If we stick within our comfort zones we will never progress because we fail to try new things and sometimes its that person that can move outside their comfort zone and do something totally different that wins tournaments. And if the Rachuig team is to win Rachuig I think some moving outside of comfort zones like recovery sessions and eating heatlhy will make the difference in the end, it may take a few years to get the wins but in the end we will have a team that will go away and ALWAYS be competitive even if they don't bowl to their full potential, we will not finish last like in Forest Hill.

Just my view and I know many wont agree,
Dion

Back
Top Bottom