Rachuig

I remember back in 1984 when we had the special meeting to change the rules to first 7 past the post................Do we have to go thru that all again or haven't they learnt anything from the past...............

Tony

I for one dont agree with all the (in my view over training). It might be a case of you cant teach an dog new tricks. But like Adam said earlier "you do what it takes". If that's what you have to do you bite your lip and do it whether you like it or not. I dont care how much it costs, I want to bowl Rachuig for as long as possible. I'll be limping into Norwood on Saturday and trying 100% to make the team. If I dont make the 7 tuff. Good luck to the 7 that do make the team.

What works for one person might not work for somebody else and should not be rammed wholesale down everybodys throat. And the people in charge should respect that.

The bowlers who made the team in the 80's & early 90"s when everything was paid for by the State Association were treated with more respect than what they are now when its the bowler that pays 100% of the cost.

I remember in the 80's & 90's when other teams feared playing S.A. Now its a case of "Oh S.A. good we should get at least 5 or 6 points out of 7 here". S.A. is looked as 1 of the easy beats in the competition now & that REALLY PISSES ME OFF. Its about time it started pissing off a few more people & a few more people started taking a bit more pride in S.A.

Agreed you do what it takes robby, but it would be nice to know what you have to do.
The entry form doesn't state all the so called stuff required. Why not advertise what required !!!
I have yet seen any info anywhere that lays out what's required !!!
And the how much is it going to cost and is it compulsory!!!

Good luck to the team this year, I'm sure there going to need it!

ALL I SEE IS WHOLE LOT OF RESPONSES FROM A LOT OF NEGATIVE & PISSED OF BOWLERS. I HAVE YET TO SEE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE FROM ANYBODY IN AUTHORITY WITH ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THE SITUATION.

THERE LIES THE PROBLEM I SUPPOSE. THE PEOPLE IN AUTHORITY HAVE THERE HEAD STUCK SO FAR INTO THE SAND THEY CANT SEE THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM.

strop said:
Agreed you do what it takes robby, but it would be nice to know what you have to do.
The entry form doesn't state all the so called stuff required. Why not advertise what required !!!
I have yet seen any info anywhere that lays out what's required !!!
And the how much is it going to cost and is it compulsory!!!
Good luck to the team this year, I'm sure there going to need it!

Tony a rough estimation for the cost just to go away not including training or state champs or bob elliott ( or taking our installments off) is roughly about $1250 i guess ( im using last year as guide for my budget) then we take off our 2 $300 installments leaves about $650 b4 any fundraising is done.

Having said that the first fundraising done is to cover the team lineage as we all want to bowl the games! which i understand.

while continuing fundraising we also must do state champs which an all events is roughly $80 , masters is now included in state champs , then Bob elliott is roughly $80 for both days , Des mander is roughly $30 i think.
Training sessions roughly cost around $20 to $30.

I know a rough cost as I have been there previously but for new ones trying out so they can work a rough cost into a weekly budget an estimate would probably would help them out.

Good luck to all next weekend See you at Norwood!

thanks tash adds up to alot of money.

How many $30 training sessions will there be.??
And better still who is doing the teaching or training or is it just a get together?

Please tell me it's someone with bowling experience!!!

Adam,

Who are you talking about when you mention people changing their ways and becoming more flexible.

Rob, i'm not out for a personal attack on anyone in particular, i'm sure most people out there know who does and who doesnt need to change and given time they will have no choice if they want to remian involved at this level.

ALL I SEE IS WHOLE LOT OF RESPONSES FROM A LOT OF NEGATIVE & PISSED OF BOWLERS. I HAVE YET TO SEE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE FROM ANYBODY IN AUTHORITY WITH ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THE SITUATION.

this is my point exactly..

the people in authority are only doing what they think is right, which by what has been said in here is obviously wrong..

so i think the best bet from now on is to post what you think is the problem. and also post a constructive solution..

here goes.
Problem - Bowlers Negative Attitudes
Solution - For those who can see there is light at the end of the tunnel with Jo's appointment, become positive, forget about the past focus on the future. If you cant see it, this is a fresh start, If Jo cant do anything then the negativity will come back in time regardless, but i think you will find things are going to change. Get involved even if it is only on here making positive suggestions. (keep the negativity to yourself) almost everyone reads this site and those who dont find out from others anyway..

Problem - Cost of Bowling
Solution - Sponsorship, I know there is restrictions on sizes etc and clashing sponsors but if things are planned alot better and way ahead of time, these hurdles can be over come and worked around. fundraising is also something that needs to be done whole heartedly. Tap into the local bowlers, alot of them have businesses etc and would be more than happy to help. some people will be against going all commercial but lets get with the times.. lets "do what it takes"

Problem - Lack of Structure/Information (amount of training sessions etc)
Solution - Unfortunately this is something we will have to wait until next year to see if it changes. If suggestions keep getting put up then you just may see the info you want on next years entry form, eg what is expected - compulsory tournaments, training sessions etc..

Problem - Adults being treated like children.
Solution - find ways to communicate as adult would. talk about it as a group and loose the "oh, i cant be bothered , nothing gets done anyway" attitude, and stop throwing tantrums when you dont get what you want, It doesnt work. trust me i know :p if we keep thinking like that then we can only expect to get treated like children. there has to be a way of negotiating around this problem. if it means that the final team pulls out all together because they and the selected management cant come to an agreement then so be it (only in a worst case scenario of course)

That should do it for starters.. you people have a go, i would be interested to hear from all of those that i mentioned in an earlier post.. remember take a deep breath and keep it positive and constructive.. :D

strop said:
thanks tash adds up to alot of money.
How many $30 training sessions will there be.??
And better still who is doing the teaching or training or is it just a get together?
Please tell me it's someone with bowling experience!!!

yes it does Tony , i never really thought about till i was posting lol

The team roughly has betwen 7 and 10 sessions b4 we leave ( going on last year) so if sessione were say $20 multily that by 10 theres $200 for training in my case last year everyting was double as we had myself and Ben bowling!

Having said that yes it is alot of mony but we pay it out because we choose to sometimes it does get frustrating with added costs, but as I have been there b4 I am full aware of the costs and start planning early just encase both of us make it! but for others that are new , it can be overwhelming to spend that much money to go away but I will tell you all now , it is fantastic at Rachuig and the memories are priceless! ( they are aren't they chinner - I have now conquered my fear of seaweed !)

If you have the money and want to pay it out then do it but if not don't simple. and alas yes Tony the days of having most or all of the time away paid are gone , I remember in shield my first year I paid $350 to go away , those days are gone and we now self fund our own state teams!----- maybe if sponsors like they do at the tennis tourneys came along we would not need to pay a cent - now I certainly like that idea:shock: but i will keep paying out as long as I can afford to because I love to bowl for my state.:D

spence said:
Solution - find ways to communicate as adult would. talk about it as a group and loose the "oh, i cant be bothered , nothing gets done anyway" attitude, and stop throwing tantrums when you dont get what you want, It doesnt work. trust me i know :p if we keep thinking like that then we can only expect to get treated like children. there has to be a way of negotiating around this problem. if it means that the final team pulls out all together because they and the selected management cant come to an agreement then so be it (only in a worst case scenario of course)
That should do it for starters.. you people have a go, i would be interested to hear from all of those that i mentioned in an earlier post.. remember take a deep breath and keep it positive and constructive.. :D

Sorry to stick my nose in here being from South Qld and i have been keeping a keen eye on this topic, but Spence i think the both sides need to have this attitude not just the bowlers.

I mean it has taken a hell of allot of years for the board in South Qld to allow couples to share a room together for a week at Rachuig. SQ Rachuig in the past, has had a no couples sleeping together policy and the sharing a room has been forbidden. I agree with everyone that thinks that the board need to look at it as though we are all Adults, and yes there should be some rules as we had a couple of issues last year where they were exploited a little, and perhaps a couple of these rules should have been reinforced. The board also have to adapt the attitude of they are dealing with Adults and not children and most of the time its Mature Adults and some of these Adults have been at Rachuig for quiet some time now and know what to expect. The issue we have in SQ is that alot of the board members have never bowled Rachuig and don’t understand the pressures that people have. They don’t realize that you can have work, family or business issues already on your mind while you are away and by adding more pressure to you by taking you out of you natural environment or comfort zones then this can only add to the pressure and stress levels.

In saying that I don’t agree with everyone needing to be out on the turps every night nor up having a road run at 5 am. I just think that each person prepare them selves in different ways for different events. Maybe some present or past Rachuig bowlers need to try and set up a separate Rachuig committee and run the event on there own. Something we are trying to do up here, and yes it will take a few years but in the end I hope the results shine through.

But in finishing if the best bowlers don’t want to bowl they wont, as SQ have worked that out recently no matter what formats we try. But at least the people that you have rolling off and making the team want to, and they want to represent there state and you can’t ask for more than that. Those people will give you 110% when they are on the lanes.

spence...would be so simple if we took your approach, but not having me head in the clouds with this and knowing it will fall on deaf ears as it has in the past, I dont after over 34 years in this game don't have the patience.

Jase totally agree with you. We use to have a seperate committe called the state committe which only ran the rachuig and state titles and masters. I don't think it exists anymore, come to think of it I'm not sure what they have.

thanks tash...does add up to alot of money.

cheers tony

Jase said:
But in finishing if the best bowlers don’t want to bowl they wont, as SQ have worked that out recently no matter what formats we try. But at least the people that you have rolling off and making the team want to, and they want to represent there state and you can’t ask for more than that. Those people will give you 110% when they are on the lanes.

Spot on , thankyou for your input Jase !

I have only one comment to make in relation to the debate about training and it takes the form of a question:

Do you honestly believe that you have a BETTER chance of beating NSW with a line up consisting of Jason Belmonte, Jason Walsh, Michael Little and Jarrod Lean (just to name the first 4) with

a) - no preparation?
b) - a couple of ad hoc practice sessions and a couple of get togethers?
c) - a structured, professional training regime, designed to bring out the best both physically and mentally in the team and team get togethers?

If you answer a) or b), then I truly believe you do not fully appreciate the current environment in which we play

spence said:
Problem - Bowlers Negative Attitudes
Solution - For those who can see there is light at the end of the tunnel with Jo's appointment, become positive, forget about the past focus on the future. If you cant see it, this is a fresh start, If Jo cant do anything then the negativity will come back in time regardless, but i think you will find things are going to change. Get involved even if it is only on here making positive suggestions. (keep the negativity to yourself) almost everyone reads this site and those who dont find out from others anyway..

As far as everybody reads this site or finds out about it. God I hope so, it seems like the only way to get people fired up & get something done.

Adam, You say the team should pull out as a whole if they are unhappy. I think that would look like they ARE acting like children. I would not give them the satisfaction.

spence said:
If suggestions keep getting put up then you just may see the info you want on next years entry form, eg what is expected - compulsory tournaments, training sessions etc.. :D

Like re-oiling after 4 games Saturday, Sunday & Monday. Nothing on the entry form, good to see we are going to bowl 8 games straight every day.

All I keep seeing is where the bowlers have to keep being positive and come to the peace talks with there tails between there legs.

As far as Jo's appointment goes, I think there needs to be a total cleanout of the board. I have no idea who is on the board at the moment but the only way anything is going to work is to have people there that will work with Jo & not angainst her. I did hear Alex Popov was possibly heading this way to pull S.A.'s licence & get a new board re-appointed. If thats what it takes, do it.

Tash (seaweed) glad I could help.

And Jase, you stick ya nose any damn time you want. Your last comment on if the bowlers dont want to bowl they wont. Well, we did have 3 that were very interested this year, all they wanted was a few questions answered.

Realistically Brenton if your playing a team with those 4 guys in it all the training under the sun is not going to help unless you have South Australia's best 7 bowlers in the team. As much as people dont like to admit it there is a difference most years between the best 7 bowlers in the State & the 7 bowlers that make the team. Call it a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE. I dont give a toss anymore.
I'd rather see a team with Yourself, Colin, Tony, Paul D & Paul L in it with bugger all training than a team without them training every week for 5 months before Rachuig. I know who would walk away with a medal. I hope this years team proves me wrong.

I know, the week b4 Rachuig we'll get those 5 guys I mentioned with no training sessions under there belt and 5 from this years Rachuig team at a practice session and bowl say 4 games in 5 man teams. I know already who will win.

CHIN said:
As far as everybody reads this site or finds out about it. God I hope so, it seems like the only way to get people fired up & get something done.

Here here Chin , I too for one post my oppinion on here , if we cannot get people in this state to listen to us by talking to them then why not get some other oppinions from else where ? It is not being negative or mean this state has problems ,the bowlers are simply trying to make things better for ourselves ( i think anyway)

Chinner knows what he is talking about, he has been around for many years , while I have only been bowling Rachuig for 5 years.

strop said:
spence...would be so simple if we took your approach, but not having me head in the clouds with this and knowing it will fall on deaf ears as it has in the past, I dont after over 34 years in this game don't have the patience.

Tony, I ask.. why isn't is that simple? to take my approach.. why can't it be that simple? are you that scorned by past events you can't give it one last go? Like i said in an earlier post you have so much to offer this sport.. but because you have tried to change things before and they havent worked or have "fallen on deaf ears" doesnt mean that this time it wont work. Maybe it was just at the wrong time. dont give up yet Tony.. You have been bowling longer than i have been alive, Do you really want all that time to slip away un-noticed? I doubt it..

Jase said:
Sorry to stick my nose in here being from South Qld and i have been keeping a keen eye on this topic, but Spence i think the both sides need to have this attitude not just the bowlers.

Maybe some present or past Rachuig bowlers need to try and set up a separate Rachuig committee and run the event on there own.

Jase, i couldn't agree with you more, BOTH SIDES - MANAGEMENT AND BOWLERS need to keep trying if we are going to be successful in improving this sport in our state, if you read between the lines of my posts i think you will see that is what i was hinting at with the union suggestion.. I'm just trying to gently ease the SA bowlers into committing to something such as you suggest..

:cool:

spence said:
Tony.. You have been bowling longer than i have been alive, Do you really want all that time to slip away un-noticed? I doubt it..
:

Thats right Adam stick the knife in. (you've been bowling longer than i've been alive). Jesus.

Oh, and Tony does'nt do slip away, its more like crashes or rolls over & turns turtle like me.

CHIN said:
What works for one person might not work for somebody else and should not be rammed wholesale down everybodys throat. And the people in charge should respect that.. :

Some of us older bowlers need to be handled a little bit differently. Not ridden into the ground like a Melbourne Cup winner before you get to the starting gate for the event.

CHIN said:
Realistically Brenton if your playing a team with those 4 guys in it all the training under the sun is not going to help unless you have South Australia's best 7 bowlers in the team. As much as people dont like to admit it there is a difference most years between the best 7 bowlers in the State & the 7 bowlers that make the team. Call it a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE. I dont give a toss anymore.
I'd rather see a team with Yourself, Colin, Tony, Paul D & Paul L in it with bugger all training than a team without them training every week for 5 months before Rachuig. I know who would walk away with a medal. I hope this years team proves me wrong.

Rob,

I think it has been made blatently clear now, if it wasnt before.. who the Best Bowlers are that we have been talking about (thanks for leaving me out of your allstar line up by the way;)) and yes you are right.. these guys are awesome(natural talent) yourself included, they are the people who i didnt know and used to watch when i started to bowl 5-6 years ago and they are the guys that have the knowledge and experience to defeat the strong teams out there.. but do you think that in the last years that team was out there competing and bringing home silver medals that perhaps with just a little more disipline, effort and maybe a little better management of those people, they may have brought home the silverware instead of the silver medal they all became so familiar with?

that is only a question that the team members from those years can answer.

CHIN said:
Call it a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE I dont give a toss anymore.
:D uh huh.. thats obviously why you are continuing to post and why you started this thread.. :p

So Rob, how do we get those guys to give us thier input, maybe they can work with us and save the old reputation SA had for being a real contender?

i got a feeling you like to be ridden into the grond too mate
:cool:

Speaking from many years of experiencing 2nd place finishes (10 I think) might be 11. Lost count after 1. I would rather go into the last day & have the team choke if you want to call it that, with a chance of winning than go into the last day in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th place with buckleys chance & just go through the motions.

Anyway back in the day of the pre-historic days you only got a medal for winning. None of Silver & bronze medal stuff.

spence said:
So Rob, how do we get those guys to give us thier input, maybe they can work with us and save the old reputation SA had for being a real contender?..

HOME INVASION springs to mind.

The old reputation has long since gone. Ask most other States what the 1st word that comes to mind now when you mention there playing S.A. It's "EASYBEATS"

Rob, its about getting the best 7 to go about it the right way. Your next quote says it all for me..........

Speaking from many years of experiencing 2nd place finishes (10 I think) might be 11. Lost count after 1. I would rather go into the last day & have the team choke if you want to call it that, with a chance of winning than go into the last day in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th place with buckleys chance & just go through the motions.

I have also been involved in a lot of those 2nd placings. Many of those were so close, I have always believed that with the right preparation, we might have got over the line a few of those times. I know Tony and guys like yurac and Dolly won't agree with me, but just think about it. How many times did we falter at the last hurdle with silly basic mistakes like missed single pins. Would not some improved preparation have possibly - just possibly - avoided some of those mistakes?

I realise now that it is too late to change the attitudes of most of the people of my era. But what if those attitudes had been different in those years. We wouldn't be having this discussion now.

Incidentally CHIN, do you remember 1987? Weekly super circuit sessions and training regularly. Didn't we win that year? With what had been touted as the worst side to leave SA in decades? Came from behind the all powerful Vics after lunch the last day and brimming with confidence?

Maybe it was meant to be, but I remember the comradery that team developed during its preparations and I have to believe it had a positive effect on the team.

Back
Top Bottom