oldest leagues

Western suburbs league i believe started in mid 1960s at Footscray then moved to Sunshine mid 1980s and now recently moved to Watergardens.I have been in and out of the league since 1988.Just in past few seasons have gone from 5 to 4 person.I do believe Brian O"Halloran has been President of league since its inception.In leagues heyday at Sunshine we had 28 teams of 5.Cheers.

Haros' Triples started 8th August 1980 at Kedron Bowl in Brisbane. On the 8th August this year, Haros' Triples will celebrate 35 years of success :D. Still a very tough league.

I know off one that's been going since 1964 the day the bowl open it was a very strong league full house off 5 man teams over the yrs till gotten smaller last yr the treasury /secretary resigned after 50 yrs off doing the job it will now be a 3 man team as off next season due to things beyond our control the centre is Woodville bowl

I know off one that's been going since 1964 the day the bowl open it was a very strong league full house off 5 man teams over the yrs till gotten smaller last yr the treasury /secretary resigned after 50 yrs off doing the job it will now be a 3 man team as off next season due to things beyond our control the centre is Woodville bowl

The Amflite League.

Started at Cross Road Bowl in 1964. Moved to City bowl about 1987, then to Norwood about 1995, then to Woodville in 2013. I think those were the only moves in its history

In regards to the league in question (Ampflite League) it has been going for 51 years it is a 5 person teams and is remaining so - Brian Jordan (51 years service) is the Secretary/Treasurer and is NOT going anywhere and if the Woodville Bowl had more lanes available there would be more teams... currently turning bowlers away.....
Cheers

Jumping to conclusions there Tone!!...no mention of Amflite until Brenton's comment!.....

No as Robert would say!!...Stating the obvious!! :)

You stop picking on our sponsor of our beloved tournament!!...:)

Last edited:
Sponsors League at AMF Moonah in Hobart started in 1963 and is still running 52 years later.
It was a 24x5 player league for many years throughout the 1970s and 1980s and fell to 16x5 by 1999 when AMF management decided to scrap the 5-player team concept and cut it back to 4-player teams in order to get the later league (then known as DAP Computer League, now called Underwood Motors League) on and finished earlier in order to get open play bowling happening for the remainder of the evening.
It dissatisfied a number of the league's long term players who either walked away from the sport or joined other leagues and by the start of the first night back in 2000, a special meeting was called to vote on whether to abandon the league completely as only 8 teams bothered to return, three others were threatening to resign.
Although the league is still in existence today it is no longer the biggest or best standard league in Hobart (and Tasmania) any longer and hasn't been since the late 1990s.

Back
Top Bottom