Off The Lane Training

D

Deadly Dude

As it does cost a fair bit to bowl a lot, i was wondering what things can be done at home to help improve my bowling for example to improve my accuracy or release, just things like that.

thanks heaps

Basic concentration mate

for example (i have done this before how ever stupid it may sound)

Try rolling up a piece of paper and throwing it in a bin, getting it in is easy but hitting a mark on a bin is harder, try putting a mark on the bin and throwing paper at it! the more u practice and focus on the mark the better you will become, it gives you more confidence about your game and you become more consistan!

try it if it dnt work then sorry, but it did work for me

all the best to ya mate

Birkett

thats a good way to go, i work out for like 30mins every day, my wrist takes alot of hammer when i bowl coz of the way i crank it, so i have to work on that mostly, dumbells and one handed press ups etc help 2

I play tennis twice a week to help with stamina, general fitness and wrist strength.

You'd be surprised how much tennis adds flexibility to your arm, from shoulder to fingers... not to mention the increased fitness (cardio-vascular) and general endurance you can gain.

anyone looking for a good cross training excersise, give tennis a go.

Working out and playing other sports is good, because you also have to be physically fit, like on t.v you dont always see football players etc practising "football" itself, they go to the gym or they do laps in the pool.

hey Birkett i have a tip for you, if you have a motorbike shop in your town they sell a product that makes you rotate your wrist it is supost to be better than any weights and also can increase muscle mass in your forearm.
just a tip for a fellow cranker.

cheers fella, thats a good idea, wrist hurts from bowling all the time so some extra strength in my wrist could go a long way! cheers mate, i also play tennis, great arm and wrist flexability is gaionjed from tennis its ace!

Cheers guys

Happy bowling

Birkett

Dark Assailant said:
hey Birkett i have a tip for you, if you have a motorbike shop in your town they sell a product that makes you rotate your wrist it is supost to be better than any weights and also can increase muscle mass in your forearm.
just a tip for a fellow cranker.

Better than that, lets go old school here!

Get a piece of dowel slightly longer than shoulder width. Get a length of rope and a weight (start small, work up slowly), tie the rope to the weight, then to the dowel (sometimes you need to glue it in place to stop it moving) so it is suspended in the air. The optimum length you want to look for is so the weight is suspended in the air with your upper arm and fore arms at right angles (with your elbow bent) when doing the exercise.

What you want to do is roll the rope up on the dowel lifting the weight off the ground. Roll it up forwards, then unroll it backwards, this is the same motion but provides resistance to your training.

Birkett said:
cheers fella, thats a good idea, wrist hurts from bowling all the time so some extra strength in my wrist could go a long way! cheers mate, i also play tennis, great arm and wrist flexability is gaionjed from tennis its ace!

Cheers guys

Happy bowling

Birkett

Thats not really a great sign if it is a continual thing. Aside from the real grip, muscle and rip bowlers, timing should be an asset and you shouldnt be injuring your wrist. It shouldnt hurt like that and if you are to the point where you suffer bruising (or it feels hot to the touch) something is very wrong.

Even the grip and rip it guys above rely on timing to develop leverage and get through the ball. I would have someone (a good coach) examine your delivery to see if they is a fault in your release. What i suspect is happening is you are moving (probably breaking, then closing your wrist) during the delivery, this puts all the weight of the ball on your wrist during the movement which leads to the soreness. It also leads to inaccuracy because you arent really in control of the ball all the time.

Timing and technique can always overcome brute strength, its about bowling smarter not so much stronger.

Back
Top Bottom