Maybe a dumb question, but.....

dazgore

Ok,
Here goes... :)

I am a 6 foot 5 inch tall bowler, who has slowly started to improve my game, from last weeks league i started getting lower with my approach and had good balance at the line, when I was more upright I tended to have to step to the side after my delivery.
Anyway, this lower position seemed to give me more lift, and thus more rotation and hook on the ball, all good.
Last night, I kept low, great balance again, but kept bouncing the ball, a helpful assistant at the alley, told me I was releasing too early and to deliver a bit later. It took me 3 games to finally stop playing basketball and get the ball out into the lane.
This has just started happening, and my question is thus....

would my new lower approach and thus trajectory, affect my release position? Do I now have to re-train myself to release later because I am now lower to the lane, or is this a bad habbit I suddenly picked up?

It was real frustrating, as the balance, and delivery etc is all finally falling into place, I feel confident, but to be bouncing the ball, was totally annoying. :x

Thanks for any help.

Darryl Gore

Darryl,
Getting to the line low is all good, so long as you are doing so via a good deep knee bend rather than bending at the waist. You still need to keep your centre of balance over your sliding knee, otherwise you will lose leverage and start to pull your body sideways at the release point.
My guess is that you are simply leaning forward at the waist too far at the delivery point.

Hi Dazgore
From looking at your picture it looks as though you are just having trouble holding on to the ball? Either your thumb hole is to big or you have to much reverse pitch. Get someone to check out you ball, or if you are in Brisbane you can contact me at [email protected] and i will have a look for you.
Jeff.

Hi, dazgore.
From the video it looks as if your releasing the ball a bit too early. This is what i used to do. I used to have this problem. My coach told me i needed to lift my arm through when bowling, and not stop my shot at the foul line. If you haven't yet tried this, stand on the approach and swing your ball forward like your taking your shot, let it go back and catch it when your hjand comes back. In otrher wordsa just pretend your taking a shot(but don't let the ball go) and practice it on the approach about 1 or 2 times before you take your shot. It gives you a better feel for the shot your about to play, and helps with your accuracy too. It's always good to practrice without your ball as well. I hope this helps.
Cya! :p

Thanks for your replies Jeff and Rowey,

My thumb hole is as tight as can be, so only problem could be the pitch, but only got the ball a few months ago and was drilled then by a highly recommended driller.

Anyway i have just finished my league bowling, threw the ball out into the lane, no bouncing, all was perfect...

shot a 196, 130, 166, and a 225.

The 225 were all pocket shots, had one open frame which was a perfect pocket only to leave the 8 10 split, finished with a 5 bagger, so am absolutely Rapt

Darryl

Back
Top Bottom