Basic Hook release.

dazgore

Hi,

I have returned to the bowling scene for about a year now, and are having release problems, working them out slowly.

I learnt 10 years ago, and was taught to start out behind the ball, and finish in the hand shake position.

Upon reading a website have found that in this day and age, a basic hook release is a 45º throughout. Does this mean we no longer have to rotate the wrist during the release? Will maintaining this angle put the desired hook on the ball?

I am going to retrain my muscle memory as i think i tend to put more of a topspin on the ball, thus loosing hook, and hitting power. Some nights i have hook, others nothing. This could be caused from me doing my original release, and if my timing is out, can be varied with my axis tilt.

Just want opinions before i retrain my muscle memory for my release.....

Thanks
Darryl Gore

Hi Darryl,

I was watching you bowl at Kedron last week. It's the first time I've ever really seen you bowl - so it may have been a once off problem. But what I did notice is that your timing is out. You were dumping the ball too early onto the lane. This dumping of the ball straight down is not allowing you to get much lift on the ball - which is minimising your hook potential. I didn't really get to spend long studying what you were doing, but perhaps you need to work on keeping the right shoulder a bit more level at delivery, and maybe try bending your front knee a bit more. Try not to force the ball through the backswing, just keep it natural.

In terms of release postions - 45 degrees tends to be a good angle for myself. 90 degrees (full handshake) is way too far in most cases, and should result in less hook with too much side roll, and not enough forward roll. A 45 degree release basically should give you a good amount of side and forward roll, and should (hopefully) maximize your hook potential.

Some variations to release angles may/will be required depending on different conditions. Start with 45 degrees and see how you go. If you see me around there at Kedron please feel free to ask me if you want any clarifications.

Hope this helps in any way,
Tim.

Thanks Timmee,

I have been changing lots lately, and today just tried keeping my wrist at 45 degrees throughout the swing, before i started behind the ball and rotated during my release.
Anyway, doing this, i didn't thump the ball into the lane, all was smooth, got a good skid flip reaction, and carried the pins well. Bowled a 175 average over 4 games, so quite happy. I did tend to revert back to my old ways, so will have to teach myself to maintain the wrist throughout.

I was having a shocker the day you were watching... wondered if you recognised the name or not.

I see improvements, and it helps not having the thump into the lane.... I may have fixed my problem..... still a long ways to go.

Daz

That's good that it went well for you today. It will take time to get it feeling natural. Once you feel confident with the release, you could start trying to stay behind the ball in the backswing, and at the release point, rotate the wrist to 45 degrees as you come up the back of the ball. This will help to add more hook to your ball (more lift).

Sounds like you're making some good progress, keep up the good work. Now is the best time to work on your game before next year, and the practice will pay off.

Tim.

Timmee said:
...Once you feel confident with the release, you could start trying to stay behind the ball in the backswing, and at the release point...

Thankx heapz,

last time i played i wasnt happy with how i delivered the ball, despite averaging 180 (over 4 games). I knew something was wrong.
My strikes were down and hook almost non-existant. But after reading your post recommending keeping behind the ball till the release point, it worked wonders.
I bowled 185, 191, 180, 184 and my hook was back, even outside balls were hooking into the pocket.

Big Thankx :)

Timmee said:
90 degrees (full handshake) is way too far in most cases, and should result in less hook with too much side roll, and not enough forward roll.
Full Side Roll actually gives the most potential hook. However it is more uncontrollable and usually never gets the chance to fully get into a roll, as the side roll does generate the maximum amount of length. Very much over/under.

Staying behind the ball is generally the best way to score. Helps the ball get into a stronger roll in more oil. It's also alot more controllable.
Keep practicing and you will get it.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom