Newbie ball weight question

M

Mantis

Hi folks
Just found and joined this forum. Looks great.
I have just started bowling league and am looking to buy a ball as I can never get the only ball in the place that I feel comfortable with. I am tall and thin and not all that strong in the fingers so lighter balls feel better. Just wondering what weight ball I should get. I have been using an 11 lb that feels good but I think maybe 10 might be better. What do you folk think a good weight is or is it just a matter of what feels right.

Cheers
Mantis :D

Mantis, I take it your an adult, than you should use nothing under 15lb, the top women in the country use 15lb with fingertip drilling, so if they can handle the weight so can you.
willey.

Not discounting previous comments, if you don't feel comfortable bowling with a 14 or 15, then start with the 11lb that you are using now, and progressively work your way up there, using house balls.

Personally, I'd recommend to you to use house balls for now, and probably not make a purchase until you reach at least 13-14 lb. Obviously that's not always easy (to find a good house ball) but it can save you $$ in the long run.

Catch up with the coach, manager or pro shop operator in your local centre for more information :)

Cheers
Daniel

You guys are right. I read thru some of the help tips at the site mentioned in a post a couple under this one. I have been doing it all wrong. Thats why I couldn't control a heavier ball. I was trying to force every bowl and not let my arm swing do the work.
I went to the lanes last night after work and bowled a game with a 16 lb ball and after a few frames was controlling it pretty good. It really smashed the pins too.
I decided on a 14lb to start with and ordered one.
At least I will have my own ball and not have to search for one in the limited number they have at our lanes.

Thanks and Cheers
Mantis :)

willey said:
Mantis, I take it your an adult, than you should use nothing under 15lb, the top women in the country use 15lb with fingertip drilling, so if they can handle the weight so can you.
willey.

Thats not exactly true. the bit about the top females using 15 lbs is, but you should only use what your comfortable with. You say you have been using an 11 lbs house ball? well if that is most comfortable, then I strongly suggest you buy an 11 lbs ball to start off with. As you bowl more, and your confidence level grows, and your consistency as far as approach and backswing go, then you can progress in weight.

The worst thing to do is go straight from 11 to 15, because this will be mighty uncomfortable, and you will regret doing it. Trust me, i went from 10 to 15 and i was about 12, and when I went to 15, I also went finger tip, which made it worse.

I hope this helps

i suggest going from a house 11lb to a 12 or 13 lb ball from pro shop. i was usin g 10lb house balls and was guided to get a 12lb for my first ball. now i have gone up 2 lb to a 14lb and it feels as light as a 8 lb house ball now because im used to the weight. next step is a 15lb

I read thru some of the help tips at the site mentioned in a post a couple under this one. I have been doing it all wrong. Thats why I couldn't control a heavier ball. I was trying to force every bowl and not let my arm swing do the work.

Can anyone point me to this site?

I've just started getting into bowling too, and am thinking of joining the AMF Cocacola League next year (at the Kedron AMF center). I'm 5"7, small build and am currently using a 10lb ball. I've tried heavier balls but always find them difficult to control, and have been previously adviced to just stick with a ball I'm comfortable with?

Also, one thing I learnt last night, don't go to a "disco bowling night" if you want to practice, you can hardly see the arrows on the lane!!! :)

Read this on the tenpinbowling.org site:

When you bowl, you should take a ball which is just heavy enough so that you can hold it with a streched arm for 5 seconds without getting tired.

Does this mean that "moving on" to a heavier ball basically involves building more strength? Or does it depend on the technique as well?

Is that necessarily true?? I just tested it with my Forest Fire (14lb, which is the weight I bowl with), and my arm got tired...
Yet my ball speed is a bit fast, and I have 100% no problems bowling with 14lb...

One thing to remember is that a new ball will be fitted correctly to your hand, which will make it feel much lighter than a house ball of the same weight. The decision to go to a 14lb ball is a good one, IMHO. If you can bowl comfortably with an 11lb house ball the 14 won't feel much heavier, and the greater weight will both be more effective for pin action and will help you to develop a straight, unforced swing. Most adults have no problem with at least a 14lb ball, provided that they have good basic technique.

provided that they have good basic technique.

Heh :) Maybe that's where my problem is :)

Hmm, anyways I might try a heavier ball next time I go out!

Read this somewhere else (on BowlersParadise.com):

The weight of the ball should be roughly ten percent of your body weight. Another good rule to go by is to choose a ball that is one to two pounds heavier than the house ball you are bowling with. The reason being is that the grip on the house ball is incorrect and a custom fit ball will feel much lighter because it will be easier to hold on to.

I weigh about 121lb, so maybe a 10lb house ball is about right? Thoughts, comments?

an easy way of choosing weight is simply your age,your ball should be around a pound heavier or lighter then your age,frawls gav me this tip and it worked for me :D

an easy way of choosing weight is simply your age,your ball should be around a pound heavier or lighter then your age,frawls gav me this tip and it worked for me

But this will only work for a short time...Im 16 now...I cant use anything heavier...bowling 15lb prolly wouldnt hurt, but what about if you are 18??
I think its best to get a certified coach to select a weight that suits you

Heh, I don't think that would work too well for me, my arms would fall off! :p

Well, went and bowled 3 games today, bowled the first 2 with a 12lb ball, and the last with a 10lb ball. The 12 is a bit too heavy, no matter what I tried I couldn't keep my balance and apart from the ball doing the pendulum thing nothing was working out. Approach was bad, backswing was well... the ball would swing where ever it wanted and I had zero control on it, and then followthrough was generally me tipping over... :( Needless to say the scores were a reflection of that :(

Went back to the 10 for the last game, and found that I couldn't bowl with that either! Bowled a HUGE 73! yay!

Hmm! So now for the dillema - to keep soldiering on and falling all over the 12, or to try to learn how to bowl again with the 10!

Harles, I don't think they make 48 lb balls. They would certainly break the pins but, literally :D

Back
Top Bottom