Changing Ball weights !!!

Mac Attack

Norm Duke
Just wondering whether it is better to go down a size from 16lb to 15lb or 14lb, and whether this would upset my game? Or perhaps I should try a lighter ball as my spare ball.

I can see a few benefits using lighter balls (for e.g. lifting them into the back of the ute!, and less weight on my callous).

Has anyone noticed any significant difference in their game from changing to lighter balls?

You'll probably find that you'll have two immedate reactions, one positive, and one potentially negative.

1) you will find that you can play lots more games before tiring out, with is a positive...

2) you may find that with the weight reduction your ball speed could increase, with your muscle memory being used to put more effort into the same delivery, you could throw your shots overspeed for a little while, but that will pass as you get used to the lesser weight...

I've also heard that when someone goes down a weight (I have not done this as I have always thrown a 14) that they can tend to lose pin carry, or at least it appears that way to them, perhaps someone who's experienced this can shed more light onto it...

If you feel that coming down in ball weight is the right thing for you, then go for it, but I would suggest getting a second hand ball in the weight your looking at first before making a big investment in it and make sure that weight is right for you.

I havent changed weight on my current balls, but i have found whenever i use a lighter ball than what i have (15lb) that it throws my delivery out of whack, especially the swing of my arm. I seem to arrive at the foul line after my arm is already through

I have gone down from a 15 pound to a 14 pound before to see if it would benefit me before and the three main things i found out were:

1) Ball speed increases
2) alot more pin carry
3) Less hook potential

I only did this for a month as it did not suit me becus i love rev's so i do not really know a long term effect of it, hope it helps

I recently moved from 14 to 15 and Im glad I did.
I find I get better everything lol.
With 14 I had one helluva lotta speed and not much of a reaction from any ball and not that great carry either.

I've dropped back from 15lb 15oz down to 14lb 14oz this past week.
Reason being that after suffering from a pretty serious back injury 12 months ago, I am finding that I have decreasing dexterity in my back because of that and find difficulty in maintaining ball speed, because its too heavy for me now.
My back is very tight when I start bowling, and I found that I had to change my stance, hand positions etc on these new synthetic lanes to get the ball down the lane or else it would be split city with the heavier ball.
Trouble was it stuffed up my timing being so tight and I was throwing the ball like shit as a consequence and getting all sorts of strange reactions in the back end.
Missed a lot of corner pins because I couldn't keep the speed up and it would hook by it.

Went to lighter gear and found that my timing and control is a lot better, also can get a bit more loft on the ball, as well as get under it more, spare shooting has been better also.
And most importantly I didn't feel like a cripple after rolling 8-games the other day, like I did after 3 games in league each week.

I'd rather drop down in weight than continue with the frustration of using too heavy a gear.

Back
Top Bottom