Pro CG balls/drillings?

Hi Guys,

I'm curious about the concept of very limited numbers of bowling balls sold as Pro CG/Pin balls. By definition, these balls are manufactured in very limited quantities for the general public and have a pin placement typically of 5" or more from the CG. These balls are designed to take layouts and ball reactions to the extreme, without the need for an extra balance hole. Apparantly these balls were once only used on The Professional Bowling Tour and enable a variety of drilling patterns outside the range of regular pin placements which are less than 5"

My question is, does anyone here in Australia use such a ball or at least seen one in action? If so, how did you go about obtaining it? If I'm interpreting this correct, it seems only Storm/Roto Grip offer such "Pro Pin" technology to the public. I wonder if the benefits are suitably matched up to typical tournament patterns here in Australia. These balls seem to come at a premium (approx US$260)

As a ball driller, how would you go about getting the maximum ball reaction out of such a huge pin placement?

I know I have a sheet with pro pin/cg/mb drillings from Storm, which include CG left, CG right and 5"+ pin drillings, however, I was told, that the pro pin/ect balls were seconds, in that the weightblock shifted too far, or that spun up differently. Could be wrong there though.

Hi Rob & Androooo,

Pro-pin balls are first quality. They are engineered with 5+" pins for enhanced ball dynamics. Storm is able to build balls with specific pin shifts to determine the pin out distance. Once upon a time the only way to get pin outs like this was to get seconds, so I can see how people may think that. Back in urethane days, I had a pink hammer with a 4½" pin out which was a second owing to the then unheard of pin length and a colour flaw. It was a very good ball. We crunched some numbers back in those days and it would require a lateral block shift of around 1/64" to cause a 1" pin shift at the surface. These are big distances in these days of CAD/CAM technologies, so all these things can be engineered to specification.

As for advice on drilling them,

STORM "Pro-Pin"™ Technology
By: Storm's Steve Kloempken

STORM's "PRO PIN" technology is taking layouts and ball reaction to the extreme. Once only used on the PBA Tour for condition specific drillings, these balls are now being made available in limited quantities to the general bowling public.

Why? As the requests, requirements, and styles of today's bowler changes to address new lane conditions and patterns, STORM is answering by providing and packaging these items separately from the standard first run items due to their unique nature and value.

STORM "PRO PIN" bowling balls are:

1. All first quality STORM bowling balls

2. Manufactured with the same high quality standards as all other STORM products

3. Manufactured with the highest integrity

4. Made with the same high quality materials as all other STORM products

5. Great for specialized layouts and drilling options

6. Potential for enhancing dynamic use of core position

7. Meet all A.B.C., U.S.B.C. and P.B.A. regulations

STORM "PRO PIN" bowling balls are first quality bowling balls with pin distances over 5" from the center of gravity and top weight between 2 and 4 ounces. Through our testing, we have found that these balls lend themselves to a variety of drilling patterns outside the range of pins less than 5" which would require an extra hole to accomplish with standard pin and top weight specificiations. Based on the desired reaction, some Pro Pin drillings may require an extra hole for balance requirements.

Please visit your pro shop professional for assistance in determining the best layout for your style and lane conditions. If additional questions, please consult the "PRO PIN" Drilling instructions included in every box or call STORM Technical Services at 1-800-369-4402 or email [email protected]

By: Storm's Steve Kloempken

'Bowl up a STORM!'

Since the breakthrough of fine tuning reaction characteristics by the use of mass bias placements in the 1990's, large pin out balls have been a staple for many STORM Pro Staffers on the professional tours. Big pin outs occur when the weight block tips to one side of the ball. The further the weight block is tipped, the more the mass is biased to one side of the ball pulling the CG away from the pin. Advantages of these balls are as follows:

-Enhanced dynamics
-Stronger preferred spin axis
-More drilling versatility
-Superior reaction charcteristics
-USED ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ON THE PROFESSIONAL BOWLING TOUR....
-Enables drillers to use larger extra holes increasing flare potential and ball reaction

Some layouts at http://www.bowlingball.com/info/layout_drilling.php#propin

No, I haven't drilled one. I do have a couple of 4+" pin balls that I have drilled (XXXtreme and a Jolt Solid). They are very dynamic balls. I used the Jolt to go from 15th to 5th at last years Brunswick Australia Cup, covering a lot of boards. It made Tuggeranong look like hook city. The XXXTreme is my go to ball on 40+ feet of oil. (That plus the Special Agent.)

Hope this helps,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom