Ball weight

geral78

Hi All
I have just started bowling in a casual/not so serious league but was hoping someone might help me, I am a 70kg, 168cm woman and am trying to determine what ball weight to use, is it entirely up to the individual what weight feels comfortable? :confused:
If I buy a second hand ball and need the holes changed what is the general costs involved with doing so?
Thanks

Hi,

This is how i learnt what weight bowling ball to use. have the part of ur arm below the elbow extended straight out towards you. Place a bowling ball of a certain weight in your hand. If you feel you cant hold it there, then try a lighter ball. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable holding the weight of the bowling ball.

In terms of getting a bowling ball drilled for your hand that has already previously been drilled. The costs are normally $30 ($10 to plug each hole and redrill it).

Hope that helped :)

Who plugs and redrills for $10 a hole? People charged more in the 80's! I wouldn't be expecting good work for that price.

None of these comments seem to be addressing the question, my wife is only 154cm and weighs in at a whopping 50kg, that's before the choc pudding we have at night. She is currently using a 14lb ball after switching from the 12lb. The weight of the ball is less of an issue if you have good, sound, technique. Getting good technique with a heavier ball may be more difficult than if you used something a bit lighter. A lady of your size should easily handle a 12lb'er, it's not going to carry as well as a 14lb'er but hitting your mark/target with a lighter ball is better than missing with a heavier one. After a while once you're comfortable and reasonably accurate switching to something heavier would be expected. Hope this helps, Paul.

Thanks for all those comments, we bowled today and I do feel quite comfortable with a 10lb ball although I switched to a 12lb ball for a while but did find it a bit heavy.
Thanks Bluey, I think you are right since I am new to bowling I think getting technique then moving up in ball size is the best idea. Cheers

I have made the decision to buy a 12lb ball, in hinesight after bowling on thursday if the 12lb had fit better then Im sure Id have felt more comfortable with it.
Cant wait for monday nights now, Ive been bitten by the bowling bug!

Back
Top Bottom