markers

S

ShadowWolf

hi all,

i have a strange question, i normally aim for 10 brd but hit 15, have been told i am right eye dominant, problem is dont matter if i aim 5 i hit 10 sometimes 15, i know that one is drop should, but how can i get near my mark?

I know how you feel mate!

I have the same "problem" however I seem to be consistant with it so I keep aiming 5 boards further than I want. The ball always seems to go over the mark I want rather than the mark I aim for - more often than not anyways.

But,

Sorry I have no other information to give! Will be monitoring this thread, though, for any responses! might help me as well.
Rhyss.

It's doesn't matter what you do. As long as you do it consistantly.
To check your eye dominance try this. Pick an object and look at it with both eyes. Make a triangle with your first fingers and your thumbs, and quickly line up the object in the triangle. Then shut one eye, and then shut the other eye. You should be able to only see the object with one eye. This is your dominant eye.
The further right I stand, the more I miss left. To play the edge, I aim at the gutter. When I play really deep, I tend to look where I want the ball to go, maybe only 1 or 2 boards right. As compared to the 5-6 right I need to look right when playing the edge.
As long as your aware of the problem then it shouldn't be to much of a hassle. Learn to work with your eyes, it's probably a hell of a lot easier.

Later Da Cowman!

Cowman
That's an interesting test.
I wear glasses to correct an astigmatism, they are multi focal transitional lenses. The lenses have concentric rings of different focal length, i.e. one lens is primarily for long distances and the other is for close up/reading.

By this test I am right eye dominant without the glasses and left eye dominant with the glasses.

Sumo

That's an interesting reaction. I have no idea why that happens. Hahaha. Don't even really know why the dominant eye is so dominant in that test thing. I just know it is. Hehehehe.

Later Da Cowman!

I thought the dominant eye only came into play with sports such as shooting and archery where one eye does all the aiming and ranging.

How does it affect bowling?

Are you swinging your bowling arm straight? Some bowlers swing the arm accross the body or inside the line, this will cause you to miss the target.
where do you hold your supporting hand in relation to your arm? If you hold your supporting hand toward the front of the ball, can also cause the arm to swing inside the line missing the target.
check the TBA website for an accredited coach in your area, i am sure that he/she can help you with this
regards
allenj

Could it be that when you approach you turn your body to the left(right hander), and prehaps some nights you turn your head some as well. Should you keep your head looking and pointing at your target all the time????
Some nights I can hit my targets 90 % of the time, other nights , like tonight, I constantly miss it, mostly left, and then over compensate to the right.
Good bowlers that I have observed seem to keep their head on a constant and straight path to their shot, with their body moving under it. Am I right here or , right up the sh@t.

Eye dominance is a consideration a coach would test for and da cowman is right if you know what you do and it is consistent you will read the lanes off what you see.
Another consderation is the straight swing and body movement - not being square to the intended path of the ball will also affect your targeting. Mentioned here also - well done.

One more consideration is walk pattern or natural drift a bowler has. Not all of us walk straight - try and measure your walk direction. Some bowlers walk left or right 5 or 6 boards or more!!!! - this will also take you to the foul line too far away from your balls intended path or too close - this will also affect your targeting ability.

Try this test:
Put your sliding foot on the 20 board on the approach. now bowl in the direction of the second arrow. At the foul line - test how many boards right or left you are from the 20 board when you release the ball.

This may account for why people miss their target more on inside lines than outside lines as a RH person who drifts to the left will generally shoot inside lines with more success than outside lines. This assumption also relies on the bowler having a straight swing predominantly also. Try it out -

targeting - eye deception - body position - walk patterns?

Just thought I would contribute to your excellent replies.

Gail Torrens

Back
Top Bottom