7 pin

P

phainswo

Ok my first post hear so i hope this is in the right place..

ive been bowling 7 months now and have a 140 avg.. im a left handed bowler who is having trouble getting the 7 pin.. i use a 12 pound white dot (i use this ball as a straight ball) but also get the ball to turn... i was wondering if theres any advice on where i should be standing\aiming to hit this 7 pin..

thanks

Paul

( I bowl at the Elizabeth Bowland, SA)

Hi Paul,
Im left handed to and i got told to stand on 35 bored and bowl over the middle arrow.
So i hope that helps you with your 7 pin. Cause it helps me when i leave a 7 pin.

Flicky

okee thanks ill give it a go tonight.. (try and get the bowling centre just to set up 7 pins :x because im 140 avg,... who shud be 150-160 :D

For the seven pin you should try to find a spot on the approach where you can comfortably stand on either lane of a pair (ball returns taken into account) and roll the ball over a target across lane at the 7 pin.

Across lane is your best bet at this average so you can develop some consistency of shot and conversion.

Also by doing this you will not only improve your accuracy and conversion percentage but also your ability to turn a ball after a period of time.

Remember text books are OK but you should ideally look to find the way that provides you with the opportunity to spare the seven pin a high percentage of times. Whether this is by throwing a straight ball across lane at it, or rolling a ball across lane that turns to the pin at the last minute is going to depend on you and what you find more comfortable.

Also remember one important thing expeience has taught me, never be afraid to ask a colleague for suggsetions and always be flexible and not tied to one method of doing things. It has certainly helped my bowling in recent years.

Regards
Terry Silva

LouLou said:
Hi Paul,
Im left handed to and i got told to stand on 35 bored and bowl over the middle arrow.
So i hope that helps you with your 7 pin. Cause it helps me when i leave a 7 pin.

Flicky
Thats a good idea...you can also stand 30 board and shoot 20 board, which is more of a straighter shot, 35-20 being a more angular shot, or you can also stand around 39-40 board (depending on your approach) and shoot about 25 board, but this doesn't work well on drier lanes.

Bubyee

Rowey :p

im a good ol' rightie so i dnt rly kno but u should just experiment around a bit and find a comfortable and reliable shot, its good to find ur own line for it or u could try out these lines ppl hav been tellin u and just adjust them until they suit u, remember it doesnt hav to b fancy all u hav 2 do is the hit pin and in the end thats what counts ;)

Allllright :cool:

<±>|{ÿ£è<±> said:
im a good ol' rightie so i dnt rly kno but u should just experiment around a bit and find a comfortable and reliable shot, its good to find ur own line for it or u could try out these lines ppl hav been tellin u and just adjust them until they suit u, remember it doesnt hav to b fancy all u hav 2 do is the hit pin and in the end thats what counts ;)

Allllright :cool:

i am gonna organize to get just pure 7 pins put down... my friday night game

Game 1 X X 9-
Game 2 X X 9-
Game 3 X X 9-
(not all first frames... but the 9- was the 7 pin.. which cost me dearly) although i did bowl 80 pins over for the night and we walked away with all the points :D but once i have that 7 down pat.. itll be all good.. (been bowling like 6 months now.. so i can pretty much pick up any other pin.. cept this retched 7 :p

Once upon a time i had my coach teach me a release for corner pins like that, it basically gets you to break your wrist and get the thumb out of the ball late which pretty much kills any revs you can put on the ball.

It can cause problems with your shot if you get into the habit of doing it (ie you can start doing it while throwing your normal shot, not just your corner pins), so it might not be a good idea depending on where you are at with your game.

The easiest thing you could probably do is look at using more front roll, instead of your fingers coming through the ball you want them to exit more from behind to get the ball to roll end over end.

Personal experience here for me......Ive hit in the past week at least 10 from 10 7-pins. The way I would approach it and any lefty could approach it is either accross the lane, and shoot about the 3rd arrow.

Or the other way is by shooting straight at the 7-pin. The only problem with that is that the ball could possible go in the gutter more often than actually hitting the pin.

Just stand somewhere on the other side of the approach, draw a line back to you from the pin and look at the point that it goes through at the arrows/dots, wherever you look. If you keep missing left, then move your feet left while keeping the same target. Keep missing right, then move right.
I was first told to stand on 30 and draw the line. I ended up on 32 because that's where I got the most percentage of spares. Do what feels right. But, please... never go for a corner pin straight down the boards. Always go across the lane. You want to increase the amount of area you have for spares and make it easier, not harder, for yourself.

Later Da Cowman!

hmm 2 times tonight i was left with the 7 pin tried accross didnt work lol.. although i did bowl over avg again :D keeps going up and up and up :(...

im gonna see if they can set it up so i only get 7 pins so i can practice

Back
Top Bottom