7 pin or 10 pin?

beynon

Total Bowler
Just wondering is it normal for a right hander to hate sparing 7 pins and has no problem with 10 pins and hits them 10/10 times? i dont know what it is but i dread the 7 pin. wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? :confused:

It's normal within a certain range, I went through a period where playing across the middle of the lane for a seven was nightmarish - but I'd hit that tenpin every time.

You'll find a mechanism that works at some point and then you'll be fine. Two approaches I've had recommended to me (neither of which I actually follow) are to either
1. Shoot it like a tenpin, take the plastic straight at it
2. Use only the left of the lane, so take your reactive and play straight down 25 or whatever works in your centre

Personally, I've sorted out the angle such that my delivery is hard and flat, aimed across the lane (entering outside ten, but angled between 10 and 15). I tend to find if the lanes skid, 99% of the time it's got just enough to catch the pin, or if I get more turn than expected it still holds on enough. It does fall down if the middle is beyond dry, but in that circumstance if a 7 pin is all you're leaving, more power to you ;)

i have found 7 pin more trouble on wetter lanes than dry, if i dryier early 10 in hard to hit

what im doing now is like you said JWhitty going hard and straight but with my strike ball. hitting about 7 board. it has improved a fair bit. thats if the lanes r oily-medium. if they are getting dry i go over 20 board and rolling a normal speed. (aka scissor method)

I had to reinvent the way I shot my 10-pins at Moonah because of the wider ball returns.
I used to be fine with the old Sure Pik's, but when they all got replaced I found I used to miss heaps of them on the right-lane because the returns used to get in the way, used to get my foot caught in the bar at the bottom now and then.
7-pins only ever posed a problem when the backends were wetter than the heads, give it any room - seeya later, get cute with it - you'd pull it into the moat.
It's taken me a while to figure out sparing consistantly on synthetics, I was a much better spare shooter on the wood, but I'm getting back to where I was.
A lot of trial and error and frustration though.

The way I spare the 7 pin is simply bowl the same as I would for a strike, only much slower... very rarely misses!

On oily lanes however, you need to bowl straight at it.

As a right hander i don't miss many 7 pins...Playing the same line with more revs and less speed normall collects the 4-7 no problem. 10 pin i've found it to be easier if i use a weak reactive ball and just play straight across the lane.
R

if you bowl a platic ball straight at either then it shouldnt matter about the lane conditions... but i still hate the 10pin :p

You are supposed to use a plastic and bowl straight at it but I can't bowl a straight ball to save my life!! luckily I have been able to work out how to hook at the 7 and get it almost 100% no matter about the lane condition. I find it harder though on dry lanes. But a 10 pin / 3-10 / 3-6-10 on the other hand is a nightmare for me as I have to use my plastic (and attempt to bowl straight) :(

I must be weird, cause i'm a righty who can shoot 7 pins easily...but hates and struggles keeping his ball out of the gutter on a 10 pin

as a lefty i use plastic for all spearing on the left side and anything from head pin to ten pin a use a strike ball. works most of the time.

any other lefties out there. what do you do?

Back
Top Bottom