LOCAL BOWLING CENTRE'S

Ray Krueger

Ray Krueger
Hi All;
What a weekend !!!!
I would like an honest opinion from the local elite bowlers as to what they think of the local centres in comparison to other centres they have bowled in.
A figure out of 10 would be nice.
Ray

Local Centres

Hi Ray,

Compared to what? Cleanliness, Scoreability, Customer Service?

Comparing apples and oranges here mate, even if you are only talking scoring you'll get varying opinions because everyone likes something different.

Take it easy.

Drew

Ray

Here in Canberra I reckon we're fairly luck with our Centres. All of them are 20 mins in most cases, hang on everything is 20 mins in the ACT.

Depending on what you are practicing on will depend on what centre I'd go to.

A country challenge or an older centre. I'd go out to Queanbeyan. Oil is good early the heads break down and then the lanes become patchy so you need to find away to play an number of different shots and releases.

Tuggeranong would be a practice centre for your timing, approach and ball speed. The centre places down the most consistent lane condition. It doesnt matter what day you go in if you play on fresh oil the condition will be the same. The lane oil carries down at an even pace so you loose the snappy back ends but only have to move a couple of boards.

Woden - I like Woden because of the challenge of the condition. The Centre is a high scoring centre if you figure what line to bowl on time you are there. You always got to go in with an open mind read the lane and play lane to what you see. You cant over power the ball to try and score.

Belconnen - Another different condition. Nice oil down the middle and dry edges. Any one swinging the ball heaps may reckon the centre was too dry, if you can go from deep in side to the edge youll get enough length and a strong finish to knock down the pins. You could also find the edge of the oil and play up it, if you throw it out it will come up, if you pull it the ball will go long in the oil.

Just my simple notes on our Centres here in the ACT. Horses for courses.

I would say Queanbeyan Belconnen and Woden are 200 Par ave Centres.
Tuggeranong is a 210 -215 Par ave Centre. Only because of the new machines and strick procedures they seem to follow for their lane conditioning.

Matt F

PROFESSIONAL

I think Matt that was one of the best response posts i have read in awhile.

After being in Canberra for only a short time (near on 11months) i saw that there were really only 2 players that were fair dinkum about their game 24/7 and that would be you and Drew.
(No offense Brett but u & i know how u practised lol a little more than me lmao)

You both practice everywhere all the time, never harsh with criticism yet constructive, which all in all was appreciated by myself especially.

Bowling League just simply isnt practising and to bowl one maybe 2 centres weekly isnt going to make you a champion. Certainly complaining religiously about various centres isnt the approach to take either

I suggest anyone who thinks otherwise speak to Cara, Carol, Maxine or Michelle at this years Brunswick Australian Cup and ask them how they got to the top, i bet it wasnt from being a house pro complaining once a month about various trivial issues.

So Ray i'm confused whats this thread you've started all about???

G'day Scoops;
No threat, No hidden agenda's I was trying to start something on local centres.
As I need some help and coaches are like Hens teeth, the desired respons was achived.
As you, I also thought that Matt's response was constructive, as a result next year I will drop a league and practice once a week in a different centre.
How does that sound.
Ray

Sorry Ray didnt mean for u to think i was suggesting u were being threatening. I used the word THREAD which is what it is when u start a post another name being thread :D

Best coaches i've seen in Canberra would be Jenny Burton, she has quite a little following just before i left and a great wealth of experience and knowledge to pass on

Perhaps not quitting a league as match practice is invaluable however adding a training schedule weekly would be more of a positive approach.

Best of Luck Ray in whatever u do, its always good to see people trying to find better ways of improving their game

GOOD LUCK

PS what squad are u bowling in this years Bruncwick Cup??

BRUNSWICK CUP

Hi Scoops;
As I am going to Brisbane tomorrow to bowl in the ATBSO nationals and straight on to Townsville to bowl in the TBAL nationals I need to see how much money is left over [I am now retired and money is a little hard to come by. [Are you offering a pensioner discount for entry into the Brunswick Cup????]
If I can afford it I would like to bowl in the early squad.
I now have to purchase a new ball as the news last night was my green pro active is 3+ ounces over weight. What are your thoughts on bowlers being sold over weight balls???
See you in Townsville!!!!
Ray

Ray

Can I suggest you find someone who is willing to coach you before you start practicing. You can practice till the cows come home, but it will not mean your going to get better if you dont have someone to assist in the errors you cant see.

As scoop said, Jenny is back into the Centres, she is one bowler that may assist.

Matt

Guys, what is the go with having Jenny coach you. Does it cost? How much? Does she have set times?

Just a few questions that spring to mind.

A comment on the subject of practice; I would like to practice lots more, but I can't afford it. I recon there would be a lot more "good" bowlers if it wasn't such an expensive game.

Graham.

Graham

Not sure of Jenny's story. You'd have to catch up with her some how. I've seen her in tuggies on Sat arvo's.

I guess my point is that people need to approach other bowlers and ask for help. People dont often advertise their willingness to help.

Just make sure the bowler coach has some type of idea of what they are saying, again ask other people

Matt

Bowling

Hi Graham,

I agree it is getting much more expensive than it used to be to practice. But there are ways of cutting the costs. If you approach your centre manager they might be able to do you a deal on a large block of games or if you are willing to practice at known low volume times they may give you cheaper games.
3rd alternative is that Woden has instructomat which means no pins but you don't need pins to practice. They may be willing to let you practice for a period of time at a much lower cost.
Again don't be afraid to ask for help from your bowling centre or other bowlers.

Drew

Bowling

Hi Graham,

I agree it is getting much more expensive than it used to be to practice. But there are ways of cutting the costs. If you approach your centre manager they might be able to do you a deal on a large block of games or if you are willing to practice at known low volume times they may give you cheaper games.
3rd alternative is that Woden has instructomat which means no pins but you don't need pins to practice. They may be willing to let you practice for a period of time at a much lower cost.
Again don't be afraid to ask for help from your bowling centre or other bowlers.

Drew

Just to make you aware that Canberra International Bowl has a League bowler's practice rate of 5 games for $17-50. I'm sure that the other Canberra Centres advertise a similar rate.

Back
Top Bottom