Should locals get an advantage for National events?

Tonx said
Does a golfer not get to practise on a course before the main event if he chooses? Motorsport is another example.

THese examples do exist, but only at certain times when everyone has a chance to practice. Motorsport teams can only practice at predetermined times prior to an event. V8 supercar Teams have only a limited number of times they can test at a limited number of places. At golf tournies there is set practice times for practice rounds where everyone can play at the same time so no one gets an unfair advantage.

On the PBA Tour, they set up house shots for the Pro Ams and only after the Pro Ams are fimnished do they have "Official Practice" times set for each squad of 2 hours each. That is the only time the pros have to set up their games for the tournament that week.

I for one would prefer that there be an official practice time and thats it. However given the time it takes to set a condition (especially with wick technology machines) this is probably not practical

Brenton_Davy said:
I for one would prefer that there be an official practice time and thats it. However given the time it takes to set a condition (especially with wick technology machines) this is probably not practical

Could be something to consider for the BIG majors??? (i.e. the ones that are over long weekends)

George,

Great post mate, has created some fantastic debate so far.

I do agree with you, that locals do get an advantage in these events, to be able to practice on these conditions. I suppose in a way it is good for the sport, as it gives the locals that chance to see if they can compete on the condition, and they may have a go / may not, but it means they know what they are getting into prior to the event, (and they have no excuse for being disgruntled - but they usually are anyway) and as we all know most events need the extra few numbers from the locals to ensure the numbers required are met (not always but sometimes).

We all also know that the pattern they lay today, when laid tomorrow may not play the same, and that is a great part of our game. We can practice on the pattern all we like but the weather, the humidity, the number of people in the bowl, the overall centres heat can effect the way the pattern plays.

The pattern also for most of these events require time to bed into most lanes for a few days to get that consistency the TD is after when the tournament gets underway.

As a bowler how does travel on a regular basis to events around the country, l would love to see a practice session held the day prior to the event, for a set fee - $20 for 2 hours, and allow the bowlers to move anywhere in the centre to try stuff, but this only adds to the travel costs of the bowlers, and may not be a viable option.

Just my thoughts.

I am a fence sitter. Often I just make up the numbers, especially lately as I can't afford to keep up to date equipment and there isn't enough tournaments in the West to bother training for.

Which is one good reason to put the pattern down early. To give those who aren't in the running a chance to maybe cut.

But on the other side, I have travelled interstate to bowl a few times and would hate to be disadvantaged. Forking out over a $1000 for a tournament and to get the short straw sucks. (Thats why I never bowled SA after shocking oiling some years ago.)

This is a no win situation. Someone will be upset. I say just put the pattern down 2 days before the tournament. You don't like it, too bad.

Should locals get an advantage for National events?
No. EVERYONE should get that advantage, but that is only possible with an official practice prior to the event.
It really doesn't matter that another centre is laying down the pattern for a major event as it will never be the same as being at the event. Condition of the lane machine, building climate, lane pannel condition, oil used, cleaner used, ratio of cleaner and how many lanes had been "burnt" before the pair you are on are just some of the reasons why Centre XXXXX cant put down the same pattern as Centre YYYYY. Type of lanes and approaches are two more. The ONLY way to get an actual advantage is to bowl on the condition at the centre the event is being held at.
People have been using Golf as an example. Fair enough... any golfer can practice at Augusta before the US Masters and get a "feel" for the course, but it wont be a real advantage on the day as pin placement, weather and cut of the fairways and greens will be different.
Want to use motorsport? Fine, how about the fact that these days drivers can practice any time they want on driving sims. They can get a "feel" for the track layout, where breaking points are, passing oppertunities etc. It will never be the same as the actual event, but it's close enough to help, especially when facing a new track for the first time.
The fact is that the advantage on the day will go to the bowlers who is best suited to the condition both in style and mental conditioning. Oil patterns will always suit some bowlers over others and as the patttern shifts over the games, the "talent" (on the day) will shine through as they shift with it. If you can practice on a pattern at your local Centre to get a feel for the shot then it will certainly help you achieve more then if you turned up blind.
Certainly, most of the bowlers mentioned earlier in this thread are your usual top-of-the-field, but this hasn't come around from just picking up a ball, it's because they practice on many conditions. For many of them, Tournament Saturdays are just another practice session! But how many of the minor places have come from bowlers who are only there because thier style DOES suit the condition? If patterns made no difference there wouldn't have been so many different names.

With motor sport that is true for V8's only for reducing the cost for the lesser teams. In motor sport around Australia there is unlimited practice on all racing tracks bar Bathurst and Sandown. Once the V8's have competed at a track in that year it is then open for unlimited practice and testing.

The main reason I can see for having a practice on the condition is to fine tune your equipment. You should have your game in tune already.
Another is to become comfortable and find out the characteristics of the centre.
The good players will raise to the top no matter what as they can recognise the changes required and make them. Ultimately though the bowler the condition suits most will win - thats' bowling it is a condition driven sport.
I practiced the day before Canberra last year and the next day was totally different again so I am sceptical about the whole situation.

if for nothing else, the pattern should be laid prior the event to get rid of any kinks that might beset the machine during travel....we all know how careful airline baggage handlers are :rolleyes:

The likes of me are not going to cash simply because they got to roll a few balls down the day before - sad but true

Broni

Come on guys....we havent heard from the maniac with dynamite...ME!

Ok yeah i suppose im a fence sitter

Pros: Local bowlers make up a lot of numbers and prize money and the bowlers that arent up to standard of the likes of bottoms, belmo, g,walshy are given a little advantage...lets face it.....we need all the help we can get.

Helps centres sort out there lanes...make sure its playing the way they want it to etc.

Cons:

On the other side of things....we got the unfair disdvantage for all you foreign devils.

Personally i think we shouldnt be secretive about the lane conditions.

Lets be honest...just cos you know what the pattern is, and choose the right balls....bowling is about consistent releases and accuracy...no matter how good or bad you are....no matter if your a local or not.

I personally think they should release the pattern for all to see. and have a 2 hour period the night before . For everyone.

Ducati 851 said:
I personally think they should release the pattern for all to see. and have a 2 hour period the night before . For everyone.

This is what I have been saying all along - like the PBA Regionals ! - 2 hours of practice on the preceeding day or same day if the first squal starts in the afternoon. You get th opportunity to select, tune equipment. They also have the lane draws available so you can throw balls on the lanes you have drawn!.

Why can't we do this in the Super 6 ?:confused:

I'd say that the main reason (apart from the time it would take) is cost...how would you pay for this...bigger entry fee's...or less prize fund. It has to be paid for some where.

Back
Top Bottom