Lifters...

dazgore

Hi All,

I have lifters in my ball, and was wondering...... if I am getting lift / leverage, should i hear an popping sound as my fingers lift?

Thanks
Darryl

If it is quiet enough :lol: It's just a little suction generated behind your fingers as you leave the ball. I would be concerned if you were having fitment problems (can you get your fingers in easy enough?), but if it's all good, you are fine. :)

Start to worry when your fingers burn and bleed, thats too much lift then :p

Edit: Just realised you may be asking should you, as in you arent and want to know if you are doing something wrong. No on that count too :) doesnt have to pop.

Thanks levitian,

I went for a practice last night, had a few beers, and did alright, i got 2 4 baggers, and just missed out on a 5 bagger, solid pocket, left a wobbling 8 pin.
I have been practicing the "kneel-down" drill against my bean bag, and getting my release to be a bit later, before i was rotating my wrist betwenn back and sliding leg, now i am lifting/ releasing at the sliding ankle.
Ended up bowling a couple of 180's and a 170 odd, so overall pretty happy.
I had to adjust my line as i was getting more hook, i bowl with a savage flip, and was ending up Brooklyn alot (mind you, all Brooklyns were strikes).
Am thinking of getting some sort of coaching, but at this stage am averageing 170 -180's since i got my ball (about 3 months), although my overall average is in the high 150's.
My middle finger fells a little bruised or strained, I guess its from actually having lift and experiencing the weight of the ball fully.

Thanks for answering my question about the thumb hole as well. By the way i packed it with tape, and i seemed to flow a lot better at the foul line, didn't pull or force any shots.

Darryl Gore :p

Grip plays a very important part, if you arent comfortable it is very hard to maintain a consistant release.

Just on the point of sore finger, i usually get a bit of a burn on my pads, that usually stings and after i have finished bowling it can be a little swollen / sore. But it goes down very quickly. If you notice any lingering pain, get your span / grip checked. Something could be slightly off which is putting pressure on a joint when there shouldnt be any.

Good to hear you arent rotating the wrist like before, that habit can be hard to get rid of, definately leads to all sorts of problems when you rotate it too early.

Yeah grab a few lessons, you dont have to keep up with them if you dont wish to but atleast it should give your game a bit of a tune up :)

As for the thumb hole, no problems, it's the sort of thing you pick up from other bowlers or from just trying it out. I just thought i would explain the tape types and where to put them in an effort to save you some torn skin and callouses.

Levithian, if your fingers are burning after bowling, there is something wrong, this could be inserts too tight, span too long, probably in most people the pitch is too far forward, so your finger pad does not sit on the insert properly and your only lifting with the edge of the insert. Some inserts have an extra 1/4 inch pitch in them which does'nt suit anybody than the hole is drilled 1/8 forward more, now you have 3/8 forward which suits a 3 inch conventional span but not a fingertip span.
Try reversing your fingers till you get rid of the burning.
willey.

Levithian said:
Just on the point of sore finger, i usually get a bit of a burn on my pads, that usually stings and after i have finished bowling it can be a little swollen / sore. But it goes down very quickly. If you notice any lingering pain, get your span / grip checked. Something could be slightly off which is putting pressure on a joint when there shouldnt be any.

As willey said, you shouldnt be having any stinging or burning when bowling. I think you need to get your equipment checked :)

It appears to be from lack of bowling. The lifters are slightly too big. Pitch is fine, my fingers sit well into the lifters and my span is actually a little too relaxed. It is just usually my ring finger which is the odd one after being broken (hence why it is between sizes, so it is slightly bigger). It doesnt make any difference if i change the pitch, i messed about with a few different layouts on a spare ball while playing around with grip (just wanted to see how the drillings change the reaction and effected the grip), doesnt make any difference, it's just something that comes back after a break from bowling. In all the years i have been bowling it has always been the same.

Edit: Doesnt sting afterwards, happens sometimes when bowling. That has nothing to do with them getting a little swollen, that just happens after bowling a few games. I hate fluid retension, it plays havoc with your grip.

I redrilled all my gear without inserts, and haven't had a problem. The inserts, due to their tacky nature used to rip the skin off, even using inserts 3-4 sizes too big. I actually gained more revs without them, as I like the firmer feeling.

I was thinking of doing the same thing when i buy some new gear, i quite like the feeling of the edge of the hole (compared to lifters) but not being able to change hole sizes during the game has put me off. If anything swells up i can just swap lifters, if i dont use them i would have to make the holes larger and start using tape, not something i really wanted to do.

Back
Top Bottom