Im a stroker but want to learn to be cranker

S

SwitchAxe

Well I currently am a stroker and want to learn how to be a cranker. I have an off-brand bowling ball with tips put in. Soon I will be getting a good bowling ball and will want to crank with that. Can you guys help me on on what to do to be a cranker and what ball should I get. I can pay around $140 for a ball. Also is there a certain way I should get my ball drilled?

Because I like the style of a cranker...The problem is the ball I currently use is not meant to be cranked so it wont work well. With my new ball I will want to crank it because it is much faster and hits harder.

So I can get more strikes and use my other ball as a spare ball...(I pickup spares really well with that that ball) but strikes are much harder to get with that ball also.

you can crank the ball with any bowling ball. but best advise dont bother. being a stroker is good maybe even a tweener is the best way to be. but in my honest opion create your own bowling style and work with that do what suits you as a bowler.

this is coming from a bowler who used to be a stroker, then decided to crank the ball in some way. and i wish i never started cranking the ball. it has taken me two years to realise that its not the way to bowl.

hope this helps you make the right decision.

luke green

but why not just improve on your style rather than changing everything...

jase_mate said:
but why not just improve on your style rather than changing everything...

I agree, it sounds like you just need a new bowling ball and a bit more practice

Another problem with crankers are even tho they get spectacular looking strikes... u look on the downside and they get some very odd looking splits that u wouldn't normally get as a stroker... also i think it would be right to say that being a cranker, the variation of lane conditions will affect ur game more
R

Ok thanks for the info guys. Someone had mmeantioned being a tweener... A tweener isnt all that different from a cranker am I right? And if so what would I change about the stroking style, just have my wrist more to the right when holding the ball to get more spin?

a tweener has the power of a cranker but the accuracy of a stroker...

Rather than trying to guess what you have to do to do more, and maybe causing an unwanted injury, maybe you should get a coach to help.

Rob

Look i used to want to be a cranker as well, but it had struck me that being a stroker is a LOT more accurate and ur game has less variables, which means if something does go wrong in ur shot it would be simple for u to figure out what you are doing wrong... even for a stroker, getting strikes is simple, i can be confident that if i hit the pocket, most of the time it will strike, and finding the pocket for a stroker seems to be easier than for a cranker
R

beeing a noob to bowling, im struggling to keep up with all Lingo ! :confused:

can some1 please post up the different types of bowlers, and how they bowl ?

as far as i know, a stroker is someone who plays with them self too much !

any help appreciated !

cheers
Nath

id like to know how these names came about

call me a grot but the words stroker and cranker and even tweener for that matter they just sound suss

bowlrig said:
Rather than trying to guess what you have to do to do more, and maybe causing an unwanted injury, maybe you should get a coach to help.
Rob

I agree with bowlrig instead of trying stuff won't don't you seek a coach in your area and work with him/her and that might help improve ur game it took me a yr to get where i kind of wanted to be at but i'll still can improve more and i know that i'm wokring with my coach to help improve my game more. hope that also helps.
Chris
another thing what state or territory are you in. There are great coach's all over Australia.

well you dont need to be a genius to work out where cranker came from, ever seen an old school cranker and the way the forearm and wrist uncoils when they deliver the ball?

stroker, well thats pretty much what they do, stick your hand out in front of you and mimic the action for delivering the ball, bit of a stroking motion wouldnt you say?

as for tweeners, well they are inbetween, sort of half between a stroker and a cranker, hence tweeners.

They arent suss, commonly heard sayings from bowlers like "whack it up" certainly are though :lol:

I started bowling a long time ago as a stroker based off the usual ritger teachings (being thats pretty much how all coaches taught then), it just didnt seem comfortable to me. Having seen a few crankers about the place, watching them, i gave it a bit of a try, my delivery sucked but i was more stable at the foul line. After a good 6 years of bowling how i had been taught i just quit everything i was doing and went about learning how to bowl like a cranker, mainly the late timing and body angle side of things. I found it much more comfortable to bowl like that, almost a natural movement, a side effect of it increased my foot speed which got me moving faster (felt confined previously) which pulled everything together. So i guess you could say i changed for feel more than anything.

Id say learn about bowling, things like the sparing systems and targeting first before considering changing your style. Those are things you are going to use in some form or another no matter what you bowl like, its easier to learn them when you begin bowling rather than later.

Yes I do work with a coach on my high school bowling team and he is old school and teaches the stroker way to everything...except me...I just realized lol that I am a tweener, so when he tells me to move more left and still aim for the second arrow...I still miss my mark...I aim over the middle like the 3rd arrow and it skids across and then strikes the pocket....when he first saw me do this he was surprised. It's just that when I first started bowling with him I threw the ball at a lower speed but since then with his help I have gotten that speed up with the same accuary...Not getting me more ball speed and more revs. It's just that everyone else on the team has a slow ball speed and low revs...Where I throw the ball faster than they do and get medium revs...My coach has really helped me a lot and has much knowledge about bowling...Thank you guys for your help. And if I ask any other bogus questions...Bear with me:p

Back
Top Bottom