Stroker Vs Cranker

Which one are you

• Stroker

Votes: 238 74.6%
  • Cranker

Votes: 81 25.4%

• Total voters
I'm probably going to get flamed but hey, you don't ask, you'll never know right? :D Here's the question:
What are these bowlers classified as (stroker or cranker):
1. Chris Barnes
2. Pete Weber
3. Wes Malott
4. Tommy Jones
5. Mika Koivuniemi
What determines that, their rev rate or the line they are playing.
Very good question, as some of these guys can blur the lines especially if you take the angle they play on the day into account. The determining factor is their rev rate.

My first thought is “These guys can do a lot of different things with a bowling ball so they're difficult to pigeon-hole.” So I'll give you my best estimate in reply.

1. Chris Barnes – He's probably more a cranker than a power stroker. The interesting thing is that he can keep it really straight when he needs to, despite his high rev rate. (He uses some pretty mild ball layouts.)
  2. Pete Weber – Power Stroker. Don't take my word for it. PBA Hall of Fame Coach John Jowdy said so and that's good enough for me. Pete uses slower ball speed and high axis rotation with his glorious timing and unparalleled clean release to cover a lot of lane, but he's won throwing it slow, fast, inside, outside, pretty straight and coast to coast. So he can fit into most release categories depending on when you see him and what he's seeing on the lane at the time.
  3. Wes Malott – Cranker – When you see where his hand position is before and after his ankle, there's no debate. The guy has over 90° of rotation and a lot of revolutions to boot. He looks almost stroker-like in his action, but that's Wes using his height and subsequent leverage to his advantage.
  4. Tommy Jones – Cranker – See Wes above. Tommy Jones has a magnificent cranker's game. He doesn't have Wes's height, so makes up with faster feet, a big open backswing and a snap at the release point that is lovely to watch.
  5. Mika Koivuniemi – Power Stroker. Mika gets plenty on the ball and can change his axis rotation to play any angle. His height gives him a mechanical advantage to project over the heads and throw the ball really hard when he needs to, allowing him to keep it even straighter than Chris Barnes. Note that when Mika is really projecting the ball, it can travel 8-10 feet through the air, but makes no great thud when it hits the lane. The last guy I saw who could pull that trick off was my personal bowling hero and 34 time PBA Titleist, Mark Roth.

Very good question, as some of these guys can blur the lines especially if you take the angle they play on the day into account. The determining factor is their rev rate.
My first thought is “These guys can do a lot of different things with a bowling ball so they're difficult to pigeon-hole.” So I'll give you my best estimate in reply.
  1. Chris Barnes – He's probably more a cranker than a power stroker. The interesting thing is that he can keep it really straight when he needs to, despite his high rev rate. (He uses some pretty mild ball layouts.)
  2. Pete Weber – Power Stroker. Don't take my word for it. PBA Hall of Fame Coach John Jowdy said so and that's good enough for me. Pete uses slower ball speed and high axis rotation with his glorious timing and unparalleled clean release to cover a lot of lane, but he's won throwing it slow, fast, inside, outside, pretty straight and coast to coast. So he can fit into most release categories depending on when you see him and what he's seeing on the lane at the time.
  3. Wes Malott – Cranker – When you see where his hand position is before and after his ankle, there's no debate. The guy has over 90° of rotation and a lot of revolutions to boot. He looks almost stroker-like in his action, but that's Wes using his height and subsequent leverage to his advantage.
  4. Tommy Jones – Cranker – See Wes above. Tommy Jones has a magnificent cranker's game. He doesn't have Wes's height, so makes up with faster feet, a big open backswing and a snap at the release point that is lovely to watch.
  5. Mika Koivuniemi – Power Stroker. Mika gets plenty on the ball and can change his axis rotation to play any angle. His height gives him a mechanical advantage to project over the heads and throw the ball really hard when he needs to, allowing him to keep it even straighter than Chris Barnes. Note that when Mika is really projecting the ball, it can travel 8-10 feet through the air, but makes no great thud when it hits the lane. The last guy I saw who could pull that trick off was my personal bowling hero and 34 time PBA Titleist, Mark Roth.

A great reply at last. :)

No offence but I always had the impression that crankers walk leisurely to the line and crank the ball really hard without much foot slide. Came to me as a surprise that Chris Barnes is a cranker rather than power stroker. Reason being the fluidness of his approach, foot slide and release. :eek:

Could we also classify bowlers with the snap at the release point as a cranker then (with some decent rev)?

Also how much rev would a cranker be doing? (an estimate will be good enough, there's no need to measure how long the string is. :p)

Marshall Holman was one of the original crankers and had the longest slide in bowling. He was still sliding as the ball was coming off his hand!

Barney still unloads on it at the bottom of the swing. He's on the cusp of the two styles, but more cranker than stroker. There have been a few quite graceful crankers over the years. Steve Martin in the 80's was fantastic to watch.

Here's a helpful guide from www.buddiesproshop.com
Slower Rev Rate = Stroker - up to 11 revolutions
Medium Rev Rate = Tweener - from 11 to 17 revolutions
Faster Rev Rate = Cranker - greater than 17 revolutions

Guessing at the rev rate - 250, 350 and 450 RPM's.

No matter how graceful or awkward, being a cranker is all about the revs and the roll.

Cheers,
Jason

In my experience having bowled with both types of bowler. Strokers are more consistant and less likely to have problems with different lane conditions week to week.

I my current league, the strokers keep doing it each week. The crankers struggle on dry conditions.

Crankers look more impressive and seem to string strikes more, but their averages arent up the top.

Strokers and crankers have all the advantages but I kinda of fall inside the tweener category, at about 12 to 14 rev.

Oily lane is not too much of a problem as I could play the outside line. 1st to 3rd arrows are fine with me.

When the lane does dries out, I found it difficult to play 4th arrow, giving away the pocket, and since I don't quite have enough revs, it's difficult to get the ball the hook enough.

What do you guys think? Apart from different ball, any other solutions?

I like Brenton Davy's earlier coment "Few movements = less to go wrong.". There is definately something anyone can take from that. Its fun to watch crankers, make no mistake, but a smoothe stroker who relies on straighter and very accurate lines, is I feel under appreciated...

The sheer simplicity of it, good speed, find a line to the pocket, right ball choice and get in your zone.. Sounds too easy, but thats the beauty... I love watching George F and Trotter bowling.. Simple, no!!, lots of practise to make something at first glance appear simple. Bit I also love Belmo too...Each to their own, for me, love all styles..

From a Tweener point of view.
A lot of the weight in this debate comes down to lane condition and transition.
I can remember the late 80's and flat oil at 45ft in length that forced people to use wrist and hand to get the ball back to the pocket.
You had both types of bowlers scoring in those days.

Allsopp was on top of his game along with Batson Lovell all varied styles in rev rate but all found a way to score.
the debate of rev rate is fine but i still belive lane conditioning and its placement and shape have a lot to do with todays score fests we continually see.

but that s a thread for another day...not too mention the bowling balls of today.....

What happened to the Tweener?!?

They all die out? :D LOL!

All killed off more like. I read a great quote recently that said the tweener is now referred to as the guy who's caught in between the stroker and the cranker and ends up stuck between the oil wedges, in no man's land pattern-wise.

And Morty, less than 5 revs? I though that was the house ditch version of "the modern game." Besides, 5 real revs and one of todays balls gives a fellow about 12 manufactured revs. :)

How do you count your revolutions?

Good question. Stick a bit of white electrical tape on your ball and count 'em. Better to get a mate to count them from behind, as they'll see all of them. If you really get some on it, you may need a camera to replay in slo-mo.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Lovey's more like a spelling lesson - B - R - U - N - Strike! :) (He know's I love him!)

I am a cranker but can change to a stroker if need be..... Still not very accurate though .. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom