Stroker Vs Cranker

Which one are you

• Stroker

Votes: 238 74.6%
  • Cranker

Votes: 81 25.4%

• Total voters
On the most basic level of explanation possible, I'd like to get the accuracy of a stroker with the power of a cranker. Unfortunately, being female and not particularly large, it's not easy to get the power most crankers use.

i know a way :)

Belmo

Belmo has always wanted a game like mine...;)
I say stroker all the way!

The only part of George's game i have ever wanted was the ability to adjust to lane patterns....

Let me explain...

george: "Belmo, how many boards have you moved today"

Belmo: "close to 20 left from the beggining, the lane is holding up ok, you?"

George: "well 4 in total, i moved 2 left and 6 pin stood so i moved 2 back to the right and struck again"

Belmo: "You're a D ick"

Ah if only we all had that luxury :p

Belmo

George "well Belmo if you just learnt to be a little more versatile you'd be a better bowler"

Belmo "your right, teach me the way obe1 kinobe "

George " Not now my son, the force is not strong, patience grasshopper "

Belmo " You bast#$% "

George " Up yours "

The EVENT: Melbourne cup 2006

Belmo: "So george how many boards did you move today"

George: "It's not fair, we had to play right of the 3rd arrow, every frame i had to move"

Belmo: "i feel so sorry for you, is there anything i can do to help you out, perhaps teach you to bowl without a wrist guard and show you that beyond 3rd arrow is a bright and amazing world"

George: "No, ill just wait till 1st arrow is open again"
......................................................................................

Are you sure i wanted you to teach me something George????

Belmo

i'm not sure what I'm am currently i love to make the ball spin real fast by entering from left to let is spin over to the edge of the right and then hook back to the left back in to the the pins
I can only do this however with my thumb out of the ball i just can't seem to get the speed and revs i want with my thumb in
see my other thread here http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=121554#post121554
only got a reactive ball yesterday do i need a re drilling
oh what style does this make me ???

If you just don't have the physical strength to be a cranker, is it dumb to try it? Or is it something you can build up slowly? Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against being a stroker, but sometimes I look at my shot and think, "Hey, maybe if that had it a bit harder..."

Physical strength isnt the big thing for a power player that some people think. Look at guys like Norm Duke(back when he was ripping it coast to coast in the 90's) and Pete Weber. Donna Adamek in her prime on the womens pro tour had effortless power too, learning timing and body position are the most importmant things in my opinion.

Ouch.. meow!

I personally think that a power player has an advantage over a classic stroker. But I guess it also depends on the ability of the person to adapt - why try and throw a shot covering 39 boards if you don't have to.

By the same token.. sometimes it can be an advantage to, so as I say, each has its advantages.

Ahh, but strength does not equal physical size either. Some of the guys like duke and webber mentioned earlier are small in size too, but the muscle groups used when bowling are quite developed and toned, same with the tendons, you actually develop strength through repetition.

Chucky isnt a big burley bloke, but he's far from weak either, the difference lies in that through timing and a good release it takes a whole lot less physical effort to impart revs on to the ball. Craig will be the first to tell you that. Thats why the old plant and pull cranker is a fairly rare sight these days, people have gotten smarter and learned just what this term leverage is all about.

Yeah ta Wayne!! Unfortunately i'm still good at getting caught between one and the other too!!! Think i'd better go see the Wonderful Wizard of Oz about getting a brain!!!(stuff the scarecrow:p )

why do I get this vibe that, this debate is as ancient as Holden V Ford? .. just a eerie hunch.. nothing to sus.. :p

Me, I'm a stoker, for reason's on the 1st page. Accuracy the big one. Sure the Crank way requires more work and looks great, but there's always two ways to do jobs in life. The easy way or the hard way, no offence to the crankers btw ...

Have fun
Wayne.

Ahh, but strength does not equal physical size either. Some of the guys like duke and webber mentioned earlier are small in size too, but the muscle groups used when bowling are quite developed and toned, same with the tendons, you actually develop strength through repetition.

Chucky isnt a big burley bloke, but he's far from weak either, the difference lies in that through timing and a good release it takes a whole lot less physical effort to impart revs on to the ball. Craig will be the first to tell you that. Thats why the old plant and pull cranker is a fairly rare sight these days, people have gotten smarter and learned just what this term leverage is all about.
Smarter? Less suicidal perhaps. I dropped a pound in ball weight and am still cutting the juice off the shot after 12 months to get competitive. Today's balls don't permit the power of the late 80's / early 90's. They spark and roll out way too fast for that sort of leverage. But you're on the money about timing topping strength. If you've got both though, well... There's a handsome young lad from a good Italian family in Orange who can show you what that's about. Pete Weber isn't really a cranker btw... He's a stroker with magnificent timing and touch. The sort of stroker most crankers would be happy to wake and be one morning. :)

Never said he was a cranker. He has the ability to be a power player when he wants to turn it on though. My comment was about how they are still physically strong people, just dont have a large build.

Mmm, depends on your ball selection though, there are still quite a few people who were bowling back when you really had to have a release that still have the same sort of shot. Some of them will just destroy the field if they get a chance to play their a game. You are right though, the majority of conditions simply dont allow you to play that type of shot or game, but the one day a year it comes round, its the sweetest thing :D

I'm probably going to get flamed but hey, you don't ask, you'll never know right? :D Here's the question:

What are these bowlers classified as (stroker or cranker):
1. Chris Barnes
2. Pete Weber
3. Wes Malott
4. Tommy Jones
5. Mika Koivuniemi

What determines that, their rev rate or the line they are playing.

Back
Top Bottom