IGNORANT, ARROGANT or STUPID

Those figures are not really surprising. Lane conditions obviously have a huge impact on the sport, and are sometimes going to favour the right, sometimes the left. One of the nice things about being a quality lefty is that when it does dramatically favour the left, you have fewer people to beat. If lane conditions randomly favoured either side, and were the single dominating factor on who won, leftys would win half the tournaments. They don't.

Personally, I think that the whole left/right debate is taken far too seriously by a lot of people. Perfect equity is never going to be achieved, all we can ask is that the lanesman does his best to even things out. Sometimes the best bowler on the day actually does bowl from the wrong side, sometimes the lanes help them get home, sometimes they stop them getting home. Anyone who thinks it is really that easy should change hands, it's not that hard.

My mistake, in my hurry to finish the post before going shopping I made an addition error.....the percentage is now 30% LH and 70% RH..still double the actual figure for the competing LH'ers

Don't worry about trying to explain Wayne, us rightys KNOW your lot have trouble counting past 5.... ;):D

See Porto if your reading YOUR NOT THAT GOOD! Its the lane man that makes you look better than you are, BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA,
I make funny too.

See Porto if your reading YOUR NOT THAT GOOD! Its the lane man that makes you look better than you are, BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA,
I make funny too.

Hey l saw the country cup scores, you shouldn't say to much, BAH HAHAHAHAHA.

Im sorry as a left hander i have to agree with the right handers on this one, how often do we bowl on a condition, and from word "Go" the so called "SHOT" is there, and we can bowl this for 2 or 3 games before making even the slightest adjustment....... I feel that this is just an "Ability" issue, a tourney is not won by the best left hander or right hander, its won by the best bowler, and that will be the one who can read and follow the conditions, instead of complaining about the left hand side learn to read the lane better and suprise...it could just be you doing something wron...Maybe????

Yes Androooo, I remember Bowling in a Grand Prix where Lovell was being Boisterous because he was leaving the occasional 7 Pin whilst shooting up 5 Board, while us Right Handers were going through 4 Arrow and hoping to get it back to carry the 5 Pin, I'm sure he Won easily that day.

willey

If your not happy on the left don't bowl!
If there are less bowlers on the left doesn't that mean the oil won't break down as quick?
I have started bowling after a 10 year break and have found that the oil patterns are designed for high scores, not better bowling.
Look at how to bowl on the condition, not how to change it to make it easier.
You will never find easier conditions to bowl on, so pick up an old uruthane or a plastic ball and learn how to bowl. After that you will appreciate the reactive balls and area they create.

There are 2 constants in bowling right handed.

1. The right will always break down faster than the left

2. The right handers will scattergun the condition by playing all their different comfort zones instead of all playing the same area, thus opening up the pattern.

There are also 2 constants in bowling left handed

1. The pattern will hold up a lot longer

2. The few lefties there are will almost invariably play the same zone which will act to open up (eventually) the shot even more (if there is one already there)

Assymetric patterns are not the total answer. The righties will still scattergun the pattern until they all band together to play the same area and open up the track area. Lefties naturally all play the same area and have a smoother playing surface, even on synthetics.

There is one particularly unusual aspect to this debate in respect to tournament players in this country. Nearly all the true greats have been right handed. Looking at the overall records, only Cara Honeychurch as a lefty has a record to compare to Bradford, Batson, Putney, Belmonte, Sullivan etc in an era of supposed left handed domination.

Why is that?

Brenton. I was not having a dig at the leftys just brien. In the 90's all we did is complain about the lanes, so nothing has changed. Personally the conditions now are very easy(in league), but the tournments are challenging which is driving me personally to become a better bowler.
I offer no offense to the leftys as I bowl with one 90% of the time. (Who is bowling league with a 15 year old purple hammer with a220+ ave) BASTARD!
I do enjoy bagging the leftys thou it gives me the reaction Im looking for?

CONGRATS for WA
CONGRATS to your little one
Looking forward to hanging it you at the AO and any other lefty who CAN"T CARRY!

There was an article in Bowling This Month in the late 90's saying how rightys cause the 'problem' on their side of the lane with super aggressive balls and not playing a common area. Don't have it on me now or i'd quote a few bits of it but it was on the money, ah well problems everywhere you look thats bowling!!! :D

I'll say take the good with the bad. If not the title of this thread will answer most of the posts here :)
Alex

Righties usually create the problem by starting too far inside... Therefore chewing up the pattern inside too early.

Early on, straighter is greater.... create a burn spot outside by the edge with a 320grit hook-in-a-box during practice, then bump off it using small moves left.

Get EVERY righty to do the same.... But then we'd lower ourselves to the lefties levels ;)

Righties usually create the problem by starting too far inside... Therefore chewing up the pattern inside too early.

Early on, straighter is greater.... create a burn spot outside by the edge with a 320grit hook-in-a-box during practice, then bump off it using small moves left.

Get EVERY righty to do the same.... But then we'd lower ourselves to the lefties levels ;)

Why didn't I think of that? Its so easy!
Now I finally figured out why two heads are better than one.

Brenton. I was not having a dig at the leftys just brien. In the 90's all we did is complain about the lanes, so nothing has changed. Personally the conditions now are very easy(in league), but the tournments are challenging which is driving me personally to become a better bowler.
I offer no offense to the leftys as I bowl with one 90% of the time. (Who is bowling league with a 15 year old purple hammer with a220+ ave) BASTARD!
I do enjoy bagging the leftys thou it gives me the reaction Im looking for?

CONGRATS for WA
CONGRATS to your little one
Looking forward to hanging it you at the AO and any other lefty who CAN"T CARRY!

Krusty,

I never considered you were having a dig at all lefties, far from it in fact, I was just throwing out there a few reasons why we get what we get and that sometimes its just not possible to adjust sufficiently to score at your best. It's at this point that ego demands that you complain about the conditions and the lefty/righty ditch etc. We all have to have a reason for not scoring at our best and we most certainly can't blame ourselves LOL.

See you at the AO

Brien,

You're a good bloke who seems to be seeing the grass on the other side as particularly green. The downside of the shot "opening up" is that the heads burn up and right handers need to move very quickly while covering a lot of boards to stay on top of it. When was the last time you made a move off a solid pocket strike on the left because you knew that that shot was not going to be there in two frames? That was all day on the right at Brunswick Cup. I moved 22 boards left in 15 games of matchplay using 4 balls. No left handers were having to consider such variables. By the end, the right was fried.

We all come to the lane pattern conundrum viewing it from the distorted lens of our own perspective. This perspective is developed quite early in the environment we learned to play in and the way we learned to adapt. This is why it will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I'll use us as examples. We are quite opposite in this respect, so we make good examples to illustrate the point that we are products of our environment.

Having grown up bowling-wise in Rockdale and Leichhardt throwing plastic balls under the tutelage of Ed Kee, I developed as a player with a high rev rate and somewhat forward roll as the centres I played in had the slickest (and best maintained) lanes in town. We had to make the ball roll. It was where the competition was and consequently what I learned on. These days, I use a lot of highly polished equipment with slow response drillings to cope with other environments.

I'll make the assumption that as a player with a high axis tilt and low rev rate, you learned to bowl in a centre with very dry lanes. You had to make the ball skid. They probably didn't seem that way to you at the time as your game was built around playing this high friction surface. These days, you use a lot of heavily sanded equipment with fast response drillings to cope with other environments.

I see less friction (within reason) as being fair as the majority of players can still make their way to the pocket, including those with good ball roll. You see more friction as being fair as this means that the shot "opens up".

The fact is that neither of us is, or can be, completely correct. Consequently, I have been working on my dry lane game and am getting better results. I have become more versatile. I suggest that you work on less axis tilt to create earlier roll to achieve the same end.

Finally, I'm giggling abou the fact that I want the consistent heads that the left hand side offers and you want the friction that develops on the right hand side. Bloody ironic, isn't it? ;)

Cheers and good bowling,
Jason

Brien,

You're a good bloke who seems to be seeing the grass on the other side as particularly green. The downside of the shot "opening up" is that the heads burn up and right handers need to move very quickly while covering a lot of boards to stay on top of it. When was the last time you made a move off a solid pocket strike on the left because you knew that that shot was not going to be there in two frames? That was all day on the right at Brunswick Cup. I moved 22 boards left in 15 games of matchplay using 4 balls. No left handers were having to consider such variables. By the end, the right was fried.

Nice call jason... Spot on!!

Hey l saw the country cup scores, you shouldn't say to much, BAH HAHAHAHAHA.

Ohhhhhh, thats not very nice, scores were no good because the good bowlers were playing the wrong side of the lane obviusly, and the leftys that were palying on nice stuff were just no good at all :p
(10 players at or about 190 and above from 140 men and women! Tough work)

Back
Top Bottom