IGNORANT, ARROGANT or STUPID

ESSENDON WHAT A BOWL.
I learned to bowl there on wood and yes no machine just oily soaked rags and depending on the mood of the tech depending on the pressure he applied to those rags. I reckon it beat Southern cross (just).Name another centre that you could bowl and race your slot cars and eat pizza.
Some Good bowling there from Bradford, Bob Devlin, Big Bill Probovnic.and alot of others.In its day it had a pretty strong league base.
The head tech from Essendon still in the game at Moorabbin (ZORRO)
AND BY THE WAY I AM A LEFTY Sometimes to beat carry I JUST CHUCK.:D:D:surrender::surrender:
CHEERS
Ian Strahan

bowl-b-&-w1.jpg

Some good pics here & here.

ESSENDON WHAT A BOWL.
I learned to bowl there on wood and yes no machine just oily soaked rags and depending on the mood of the tech depending on the pressure he applied to those rags. I reckon it beat Southern cross (just).Name another centre that you could bowl and race your slot cars and eat pizza.
Some Good bowling there from Bradford, Bob Devlin, Big Bill Probovnic.and alot of others.In its day it had a pretty strong league base.
The head tech from Essendon still in the game at Moorabbin (ZORRO)
AND BY THE WAY I AM A LEFTY Sometimes to beat carry I JUST CHUCK.:D:D:surrender::surrender:
CHEERS
Ian Strahan

Tuesday classic singles... Big Bill, Ian Bradford, Paul Madden bowled there as well and i htink he shot a 300 there as well... I think they also had rep team practice there...
I did work experience there in the mid 80's and remember Zorro and the other tech was Jock.

The answer is Yes Andrew, there were a lot of holes in the Floor when they took up the Carpet, it look like a lot of Bowling balls had been dropped from the Top Deck that caused this, they just put down a layer of Yellow Tongue over the whole bottom floor.

For those complainig about the change of direction, have to understand any Thread that goes this long will always drift, as Questions are asked, I actually don't remember what the Original Question Relates to.

willey

Thanks Frank - Always wondered about that. Havent been to Rushcutter since I bowled there when Keith Barnes was the Manager.

And yes i still have happy memories of bowling at Melton, like Mt Gambier you learned the hard way coz you never quite knew what youd be facing every leauge night.

Just like it should be, unfortunately it doesnt suit most of the so called bowlers that play the game today who need their padded league average. Remember when shooting 700 was a great night in league? hahaha

Just like it should be, unfortunately it doesnt suit most of the so called bowlers that play the game today who need their padded league average. Remember when shooting 700 was a great night in league? hahaha

Lucky to do it more than once too

Just noticed that our friend Brien is currently in the States bowling in the Seniors U.S. Open starting tonight/tomorrow morning.

Best of luck. I hope you don't get shut out.

I have played this game for 40 years now and one thing is for sure the lanes are never
how you want them.
What i do know is you have to make the best of what you get and not fight the conditions
In this day and age you have so many ball choices at your disposal there is a way to get the shot to happen for you
Having said that i have had plenty of times when i want to put my stuff away and go home because they are a joke.

The bowler today reminds me of the current crop of rugby league player....SOFT! Prima Donnas. Play what's in front of you and stop your crying. What a pack of Nancy boys. I could never understand why some are afraid to adjust to a straight shot when the hook isn't working. There really isn't any excuse any more other than the lack of ability. We've all had bad days on the lanes. Just have to cop it on the chin and move on.

So there was a challenge put down between Chester and Brien, are you guys healthy enough yet? Don't forget that l want in on it as well.

Well the VSS is coming to your centre Wayne, Brien's name is on the list, l hope you are fit enough to bowl?

This thread is a load of S**T. Most bowlers have no idea how to bowl and are relying on there top of the range bowling gear and kegels or what ever else helps us bowlers today. What ever happened to adjusting and by I dont mean picking up a different ball as soon as the first does not work. It is called changing your line moving your feet and hitting some thing like an arrow that you are aiming for not just the righthand side of the head pin letting the blocked lanes guide the ball into the pocket. Its just all silly talk it should be rock up to the bowl and bowl because a good bowler can bowl on any thing!!!.
What do you do if the kegal stuffs up and oils 50ft flat people would be jumping up and down carrying on instead of going hay I cant shoot my normal line I am going to have to change my line. No wonder bowling has no respect every one is to busy trying to blame every thing else but them selfs for how they bowl. You dont see the Australian cricket team carrying on about how bad the pitch is that is why they played bad !!!!

You dont see the Australian cricket team carrying on about how bad the pitch is that is why they played bad !!!!

Yes they do! They blame everyone and everything they can before accepting that they just played crap!

It's the selectors fault! It's England "time wasting" even though Ponting himself has been fined multiple times for delaying tactics!

What about when he did in fact blame the pitch (curator!) when he lost to South Africa!! here is a link!

Mind you I do agree with the rest of what you said! We MUST learn to adjust it is a critical part of our sport! To be honest it is one of the biggest problems in my game! One of the problems! ;) :D

Learn to BOWL would be the best thing to do. Today you can miss your target by 7 boards wide and the ball smacks the pocket or tug inside and it holds up in the oil. 300 games are now a joke every dick and his dog has bowled one.
In the early days of bowling people learnt the game and the sport and were hitting a target of 1 board , it meant hitting the pocket or not, 300 games were 2 - 3 times per year in Australia. And let me tell you there were plenty of bowlers who could play the game. Bring some accuracy into your game and learn to read the lanes and adjust.

its the same in most sports...

golf for example... no one is using a "wood" to tee off anymore and we are hitting them longer and straighter than ever, so much so the courses have had to be made longer to accomodate better players.... and swimming well lets not go there but you get my point.

I do agree making it way too easy would hurt the sport but i personally dont think it is like that now, and if you make it too hard the sport will die. No one would show up to bowl on a sports pattern every week unless they were very into the sport. I suppose its a no win situation.

I bowled in the Country Challenge this year. 1st time ever. The round was in Armidale. If anyone has ever bowled there you will know what the lane conditions are like. Yes, put the ball anywhere near the 5 board and you will end up hitting the 3 pin at best.

I couldn't believe how many people whinged that they couldn't bowl "normal". Yet, they still threw it down the 5 board thinking it would miraculously hook to the pocket. You would think they would learn after the 6th or 7th gutter ball :D

I didn't bowl great that round as it was the first tourny I bowled in 20+ years. However, I did find success in "adjusting my shot" and aiming for the inside of the 15 board.

I'll be bowling in the Northern NSW Open next month and I know the lane conditions will be not how they normally are for when I bowl league. But learning to adjust is the very key to bowling well. I can't afford to own x amount of $300+ bowling balls and turn to any of them to suit the conditions.

If one can't hold the line. Start practising new lines in case the conditions change. You'll be a better bowler in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom