IGNORANT, ARROGANT or STUPID

I recently had a conversation with a bowling centre manager( who shall remain nameless) who has no idea about providing a "Assymetrical" oiling pattern on tenpin lanes.

I tried to convey to "this person" the idea that a flat pattern i.e. an equal amount of oil on both sides of the lane would tend to disadvantage some bowlers.

For instance, approximately 15-20% of bowlers, bowl on the left.

In the course of a typical tournament ( or league) the "shot" on the Right, will open up a lot faster than on the Left, owing to the heavier amount of traffic.

If say, 40 units of oil is laid in an equal pattern, the shot may not open up on the Left until the 7th or 8th game, consequently, the Lefty's might as well not bothered to turn up, because by that time, the Right handers have such a start that the Left handers can never catch up.

This "person" flatly refused to consider altering the pattern i.e. laying different amounts of oil on each side,("Assymetric pattern") so that the Lefty's would have a chance.

I am willing to bet, that if a tournament were held on "his " pattern, and 80% of the Bowlers were Left Handed, the Righties would scream blue murder.

Now is he being IGNORANT, ARROGANT or STUPID or a combination of the three???

Its funny how its not like 20yrs ago now, us bowlers in a fair few cases know more about this stuff and how to apply it than many managers or techs do.

You should also think about the reverse of this too...

If a right handed bowler came up to you and said "... the shot on the right is breaking down too quickly, put more oil on the right so we can keep up with the lefties..." Any left hander would say let them "tough it out, let them deal with it."

There are conditions which will play into the hands of the righties, and conditions that will faviour the lefties. It is everyones aim (well, most people) to play on equitable conditions - but their are going to be some who deem it 'unfair' for them, that's just how it goes.

This person may not be IGNORANT, ARROGANT or STUPID, but rather catering for the majority, not the few.

I have yet to see a pattern that everyone is happy with.

I bowl right handed medium hook, hubby bowls left medium hook, daughter bowls fairly straight and her partner right hand big hook. We all have to learn to cope with how a pattern holds up (or not) in a long tournament. Sometimes big adjustments are needed or desparate measures used ie straight up the guts seems a good shot sometimes (or just frustration).

A bowling centre manager is more often than not these days a business manager not a bowling tech. There is a lot more to running a business (and that is what a manager is paid to do-run a business) than thinking about oil patterns. I can't see a CEO of a major bank thinking about what the best loan is for you or the CEO of Holdens thinking what type of tyres to put on a car.

Maybe a better approach would be a suggestion to them that perhaps he would like to try some different oiling patterns and give him a few to look at. Remember also that what may suit you will not suit others and he will get them yelling at him as to why he changed the "usual" pattern.

You cant please everyone all of the time.

If your not happy on the left don't bowl!
If there are less bowlers on the left doesn't that mean the oil won't break down as quick?
I have started bowling after a 10 year break and have found that the oil patterns are designed for high scores, not better bowling.
Look at how to bowl on the condition, not how to change it to make it easier.
You will never find easier conditions to bowl on, so pick up an old uruthane or a plastic ball and learn how to bowl. After that you will appreciate the reactive balls and area they create.

There are some centres still that are run(and run very well) by 'bowling' people, i should know as i bowl in one of them. The info is out there and i assume the 'how many birthday parties have we had this month?' managers know how to use a computer. Steer them gently in the right direction(www.kegel.net for starters) and the sport will be better for it. Remember fairness between both sides and all styles(or as close as you can get to it) is the goal with lane conditions.

The 80's attitude of 'theres nothing wrong with the lanes' doesnt cut it anymore because of the access bowling people have to this knowledge now. Good techs and managers can see where improvment is needed and act on it, a lot of the time without prompting from bowlers too(and once more for the cheap seats these improvments arent always to do with the oil pattern!!)

I gave up long ago complaining about patterns or amount of oil and just try to adjust the best i can

Brien

I don't see putting different volumes of oil accross the lane as the solution. As open class bowlers their is no excuse I believe to not be able to score given we usually know what pattern has been laid.

I see it as a failure of the bowling economies of the day that fails to instill the ability to adjust to lanes (not saying you can't) but that yes the manager in most cases is diplomatically catering to the majority who in most cases are one shot players who will arc up if things change and god forbid they have to actually think when they're out on the lanes.

Now as you are talking about tournament conditions in the main I know what you are saying about the percentage of lefties / righties but I see it as we lefties start with an advantage in most cases, although synthetics definately reduce this compared to on wood.

To introduce inequity in the condition laid down is not a solution that can be justified and we lefties need to ensure we know what to do on the condition laid before entering the event so we fully take advantage of the fresher conditions compared to the righties.

Talk to the head tech, most head techs these days like feed back about lane conditions and machine problems and will listen and take the info in thats if there not abused i no its old school but ask for tape readings i do tape readings once a month and i would say 80 % off our bowlers are happy with the pattern on the left and right.

Why can't people just deal with what has been dealt.......
Sometimes the right handers get it easier and most of the time the left handers get it easier.

I'd rather have fresh oiled condition to myself any day. It's the reason why bowling centres pay more for high games based on the amount of people on the lane, the more people the more traffic.

I have to agree with bluey...
lefties have had it pretty easy for the past 30+ years. i have no idea why brien is complaining now wxcept to say that even when he wins, he's got something to b itch about.

The majority of Leagues today are CASH reward owing to the high cost of bowling.
A few run side pots & high/game/series each night.
If the centres want you to pay the prize funds, then why can't I ask for a reasonable chance to cash?
I CAN adjust to most conditions, but what I am saying is how about having some sort of equitable conditions.
In the days of wood and Urethane balls, there was an advantage on the Left.
However, with the new technology, the Reactives suck up the oil at a great rate, consequently, the centres are laying a higher percentage of oil so the shot won't break down so quickly, otherwise by halfway through the third game, the shot has gone.
With the majority of bowlers on the right, and with a high percentage of oil, the shot will open up and hold up for the three games, but if equal units have been placed on both sides and with lower traffic on the left, it won't open up until much much later.
I'm sure that Lefties will agree with me that usually we have 1(one) board to shoot at to have a shot, so they have to be very accurate.
The Righties on the whole have a 2-5 board area.
When the Lefties find that (god forbid) there is an area of 2 boards or more, they go to town and can score.
I hear a lot of Righties complaining that the Lefties have a "ditch" when this happens, but it's there on the Right all the time, they just don't always make use of it.
I've been bowling long enough to know when I'm being blocked out, so to those who are saying "stop whinging and get on with it" I'd like to see you reaction if it happens to you?

"In the days of wood and Urethane balls, there was an advantage on the Left.
However, with the new technology, the Reactives suck up the oil at a great rate, consequently, the centres are laying a higher percentage of oil so the shot won't break down so quickly, otherwise by halfway through the third game, the shot has gone.
With the majority of bowlers on the right, and with a high percentage of oil, the shot will open up and hold up for the three games, but if equal units have been placed on both sides and with lower traffic on the left, it won't open up until much much later."

Are you saying that you prefer to bowl on patterns with less oil volume? What are you going to do when you go to a tourny & they lay down a 44' & flat, pattern?

I'd suggest that maybe you should bowl in some of the sports series events (i'm not sure where you're from, but sports series are in all 3 eastern states), then you might learn to appreciate having a high volume of oil on the lane...

"I'm sure that Lefties will agree with me that usually we have 1(one) board to shoot at to have a shot, so they have to be very accurate."

Maybe I have been out of the game too long but I cant remember a lefty ever hitting just one board to score. Are you sure you dont mean 1 area as in between 1 and 10.

:p:p:p

"I'm sure that Lefties will agree with me that usually we have 1(one) board to shoot at to have a shot, so they have to be very accurate."

Maybe I have been out of the game too long but I cant remember a lefty ever hitting just one board to score. Are you sure you dont mean 1 area as in between 1 and 10.

:p:p:p
No, I mean One(1) board. eg 1st arrow only.
Obviously you haven't seen good quality Lefties bowl such as Brenton Davy, or Brenton Manning and currently Tony Stoppel.

As a matter of interest, if you watch the Go RVing final on the PBA, listen to the commentary by Mike Stone & Randy Peterson about the Righties ganging up on Mike Scroggins, the Lefty

"In the days of wood and Urethane balls, there was an advantage on the Left.
With the majority of bowlers on the right, and with a high percentage of oil, the shot will open up and hold up for the three games, but if equal units have been placed on both sides and with lower traffic on the left, it won't open up until much much later."

Are you saying that you prefer to bowl on patterns with less oil volume? What are you going to do when you go to a tourny & they lay down a 44' & flat, pattern?

I'd suggest that maybe you should bowl in some of the sports series events (i'm not sure where you're from, but sports series are in all 3 eastern states), then you might learn to appreciate having a high volume of oil on the lane...

I do bowl in the VSS in Melbourne, and have bowled and am still bowling in tournaments in Qld, NSW, SA and Victoria, so I have a fair idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm ranked in the top 10 in Seniors Australia, and have been for the past few years.

Most of the bowlers who are giving me a hard time only play League, and have yet to prove themselves in tournament competition.

When they can prove they know how to bowl, THEN I will take notice of their comments !!

Back
Top Bottom