How to promote bowling?

Great post, how do u promote something that people do not know most likely exists..It's not in the papers, nor on TV, nor on internet news feeds!!?!?!...

I guess regarding the endless and tiresome moaning re bowling (which a lot is justified) is due to people witnessing the demise of something they hold dear to them.. I know I do!! I hate seeing in my centre (AMF), of approx 600-700 bowlers maybe more (too lazy to work out all the maths here), but there are less than 30 junior league bowlers.. That makes me sad, and the 18-35yr old demographic isn't buying into bowling at all!! If u read between the lines, league bowling (at least in my centre will be DEAD within 10-15yrs) is seriously declining..

Until bowling can raise it's profile, in a market driven by innumerable other options, and many more cheaper options, and not involve signing up for a 35-40 week season, with poorly trained, and at times counter staff that have "I don't want to be here" tattooed across their face attitude when u walk in the doors, then add little to no coaching available at your centre,then bowling is doomed.

It will become an extremely minor niche sport, which it really is fast becoming already.

If you take a random selection of sports, eg cricket,football,basketball,soccer and many others, they all have a voice within the media, albeit to varying degrees. Promote, promote, promote.. Bowling doesn't have any voice.

But hey, what do u do! I love it! So I keep doing it!

It's hard to get kids into bowling, when it is almost being pushed as the glow in the dark, birthday party experience. Parents do not know any better..

Just a hypotethical, imagine for a minute, bowling was a once a week 30 min program on mainstream TV (talking major networks, not C31, or 94,73 what have u, no disrespect intended).. It was taken by the network as a given, and that bowling was always a part of it's sport coverages..It had a regular time slot, it was set in stone.. Imagine the long term prospects of league/competitive bowling over time. If only Mr Packer (Sr or Jr) might have had a taste for bowling as they did for cricket!

If bowling (in the league and cometitive) format is not trying to sell itself, then knowone will bother buying into it!

Hey Wayne, was passing through Bendigo, wife had to have a tooth out believe it or not, so my kids and I had a couple of hours to kill.. Went to Dragon City lanes.. FYI, we had a great time, great customer service, and the centre FELT like a REAL bowling centre, not just a corporation centre per se...Inparticular the awards board, the offer for cheaper bowling to free practise bowling for very regular league customers, to having acknowledgment for winner of your phantom league on the bowling lane TV displays.. These may seem minor, but leaving the centre, had a nice warm kinda fuzzy feeling... Sorry for the rant..

I think people need to know that bowling can be very enjoyable, Last year I ran a day in memory of a very good friend that died, I bowled with him a lot and really enjoyed his company on and off the lanes, He was person that had a great attitude on the lanes and wasn't above the odd stir so this is what the day aimed at.
The response floored me I had people come and bowl that had never bowled, people that hadn't bowled for years a couple that have decided they missed it so much they have restarted in leagues and people that bowl often.
I will hold this day every year because even before the day was over I had enquiries on when was next year going to be held.
The thing behind all this was I made the day fun, people of all levels could bowl and maybe win a prize (I had great sponsors and every one walked away with at least a $20.00 prize) entry was $40.00.
Let people enjoy the day and you will be rewarded all it takes is effort and commitment, just because someone is struggling don't laugh we all have different levels of expertise for want of a better word.
Be tolerant and be rewarded. Not everyone wants to play tournaments.

Why do people on here constantly compare this sport to main stream sports like Cricket, AFL, soccer, rugby?

Bowling isn't a main stream sport and never will be in Australia no matter how it is promoted or marketed.

There are plenty of minor sports that we are on par with and should be compared with, none of these sports are on TV or in the paper or on the radio very regularly.

Why do people think bowling needs fixing? Sure there are things that might not be perfect but this in no different to any other sport in the world.

I see lots indicating the sport is healthy.
  • Strong Nationals, with international bowlers now competing
  • Good National tournament circuit with reasonable turn outs
  • Good 2nd tier tournament circuits in various states especially QLD (can't comment on other states but NSW has a pretty good sports series)
  • More understanding the difference between sports patterns and house patterns but bowlers
While it is good to dream about bowling being a popular main stream sport, in all reality it isn't going to happen. I'm constantly seeing comments like Bowling is dying etc etc but I actually see a fairly thriving sport when compared to other non main stream sports.

I see lots indicating the sport is healthy.
  • Strong Nationals, with international bowlers now competing
  • Good National tournament circuit with reasonable turn outs
  • Good 2nd tier tournament circuits in various states especially QLD (can't comment on other states but NSW has a pretty good sports series)
  • More understanding the difference between sports patterns and house patterns but bowlers

Dead Cat Bounce, Bearish Flag maybe ? lol

G'Day Nomore4s and every one else,

The reason a lot of the older folks, like my self compare bowling as a mainstream sport, and realy it is unfair these days, is because bowling once was a main stream sport in Australia. In the early 1970 there where more TBA ( current name obviously ) registered bowlers than soccer or tennis players in Australia. Bowling was on TV.

I can still remember at high school early 80's as kid being told, bowling, that's not allowed you have to play basket ball or rugby league. The decline is not new, but has been constant. Yet it is one of the best sports in the world. Bowlers need to keep telling every body that.

Heck, how do you think religion started, people telling other people and the story grew out nothing! OK poor example but you get my drift. Be positive at all times. Try new stuff on the lanes make it fun.

OK, done.

Dead Cat Bounce, Bearish Flag maybe ? lol
Ahh, I see you know me from elsewhere. Thought your user-name was familiar.

I think we've bottomed out, built a base and are in a small bullish trend but I don't think we will ever reach the previous highs, but hopefully we never revisit the lows either.

G'Day Nomore4s and every one else,

The reason a lot of the older folks, like my self compare bowling as a mainstream sport, and realy it is unfair these days, is because bowling once was a main stream sport in Australia. In the early 1970 there where more TBA ( current name obviously ) registered bowlers than soccer or tennis players in Australia. Bowling was on TV.

I can still remember at high school early 80's as kid being told, bowling, that's not allowed you have to play basket ball or rugby league. The decline is not new, but has been constant. Yet it is one of the best sports in the world. Bowlers need to keep telling every body that.

Heck, how do you think religion started, people telling other people and the story grew out nothing! OK poor example but you get my drift. Be positive at all times. Try new stuff on the lanes make it fun.

OK, done.
Hi John,

I understand that but we also need to be realistic, life has changed a lot since then and those times will never return, for better or worse.

My point was the last 10 years or so we have seen the tournament scene revived to a certain extent with quite a few tournaments with decent prize funds, we are seeing strong 2nd tier tournament circuits attracting decent numbers and we are now also seeing professional players competing in Australia. TBA are making changes that are slowly making the sport more "professional" and well run with things like National and State based training squads. We are seeing improvements in the sport imo and plenty of opportunities to compete and further your skills and participation in the sport.

Would we like to see more people competing and bowling more widespread within the community? Of course but with so many options around for not only sports but entertainment and hobbies it is little wonder we can't attract the participation rates we used too.

Hi Nomore4s,

I totally agree. For me I strongly believe in strong sporting governing bodies, every bowler should be a TBA member. That is the best thing we can do to get bowling on the survival path. Long road but worth it.

Things can change.
In early 80's I competed in Aust Touring Car Ch'shps, now called V8 Supercars. ABC TV had the broadcast rights and did not bother to televise some of the rounds, the competition was down to around a dozen regular cars competing and there was only 2 full-time teams (total of around twenty people employed ), the rest of us were part time racers.
The top level of Australian motor sport was on the brink of extinction. Things started to change when a group of competitors formed an entrants group, then along came a new force.
Three businessmen formed a Company, each putting in $50k.
They went to the Governing body of the sport, convinced all stakeholders to allow this new Co to take over all aspects of the top tier of motor racing in Aus.
Huge changes were made to management, cars, rules and formats. Not every change was successful and at first some people within the sport thought that any change was wrong.
Fast forward to present day and nowdays you have a hugely popular show, wide TV exposure including behind the scenes shows, hundreds of permanent staff employed, a thriving sport which has filtered down to make other categories in the sport bigger and more popular as well.
Recently the Co formed with $150k by the three businessmen was sold for $340 million, testament to what is possible if people have vision.
V8 Supercars continues despite the public shift away from motoring interests, opposition due to environmental reasons, etc. Just as people have recently been voicing opinions that the V8's are not as popular as last few years, the sport has continued to change by doubling the manufacturers involved and new spec cars.
Change is necessary if any sport wants to remain or become relevant to a wide audience

I say it's time for bowling to evolve, it could enjoy a very bright future if the right changes took place.

Hello Guys,

As a newbie in the sport don't have a lot of bowling experience, but I would like to voice my opinion on the topic, if I may.

I personally think that the evolution of a sport is solely dependent on how well the sport looks after the next generation. With all the major sports in the world, there is a significant backing from athletes and parents alike to ensure the next generation is offered the best there is for their future. The financial support flows naturally with the increased demand for kids to take up a given sport, in the form of sponsorships, scholarships etc.

For bowling, we have an untapped resource of young kids being introduced to bowling at a young age during birthday parties. Sure this group of kids can be a bit of an annoyance and a distraction to adult league bowlers throwing down a couple of practice games. But I can guarantee that, if you, as a league bowler (who has some exposure to the sport) took a second glance at these kids bursting with excitement at their first game of bowling, you would realize that we as a community need to keep that enthusiastic spirit alive of the next generation of bowlers.

Kids at that age have not yet developed the ego to be too cool to take up a "Lame" sport like bowling. (Trust me, my blood boils when I hear that term too). Which is why these kids should be given the opportunity to develop a love for the sport and influence others who are unaware of bowling as a sport and not a social activity. If we as a community are able to influence the next generation to take up bowling as a sport, I don't think the parents of these kids have a hope of saying "No" to their dreams and aspirations.

As for a solution, I suggest bowling centers across Australia include a "Little League" membership for every child taking part in a bowling party and benefits such as a first week of free bowling at a every center league for kids who have never bowled before. This may be a bit of expense at the start, but surely the price is worth a generation of experienced bowlers in Australia. The membership allows the child to translate their initial excitement on the lanes into a fun learning experience at a league. The only way this will work is if all centers, independent and corporate follow the same structure, price and promotions.. something akin to a "TBA Little League"

That is my two cents anyway..

Happy Bowling.

Jason,
Firstly, I love your idea and it's fab you are already thinking about the welfare of your chosen sport.
I do see one hurdle, let me explain.

I owned a bowl, so I have observed thousands of kids at bowling parties. Almost without exception, the kids arrive at the Centre, keen as mustard to try bowling. Once they are down on the lanes, still remain excited through the first couple of frames.
By about the 4th or 5th frame, bowling is starting to lose their interest and in the second half of the game, the parent is calling many of the kids back to the lane from the amusement machines.

This tells me that bowling has a serious flaw. People, especially kids, lose interest in bowling despite having been keen at the start. For social play, including for kids, we should look at a winner/s each frame, call it blocks of 10games not ten frames in a game and you have better chance of keeping everyone more interested in playing the game.
When a group leaves a Centre, instead of 1 winner and the rest feeling like a loser, you will have multiple winners.
This would give much more incentive, the next time the family suggests to go bowling, if you had won only one or two "games" (frames) last time, there would be much greater incentive to want to go back and win more.

Even at the kids birthday party, your suggsted offer to join a Junior League would be far more likely to succeed in gaining new bowlers if many of the kids had already "won" at the birthday party

Mistagear and Jason,

Absolutely, birthday parties at AMF Centers need to change if trying to capture that market. I think this is exactly were a short game with different scoring can benefit. The next thing that needs to change is the way they are run. I recently had a Birthday party for my youngest son at our local AMF Center. Value for money ($400+) would not be a word that i would use, i will not go into the details as I like all of the staff there, but it was run so badly that if I did not put in the effort to make it fun for the kids I would have left halfway through the party.

So on three fronts it could have been better for the kids and the families involved.

Scoring
Entertainment
Value

Mistagear & John,

I completely understand that first time bowlers find the game a bit tedious with the large amounts of time spent in waiting. Getting bored is expected. I also understand that bowling centers need to maintain a constant business to remain afloat hence the need for the amusement machines. But in all honesty, there isn't a single other sport that needs to keep the new athletes 'entertained' with the help of amusement machines.

The hope of turning bowling into a mainstream sport is hoped and wished by many in Australia, but many of us let the negative aspects of our current situation take over any possible positive opportunities. If kids at bowling parties find bowling to be a drag by the fourth frame, we should address it with positive ideas such as John's concept of shortening the game. I think the ritual of watching sport is because people enjoy the excitement, entertainment value & the company. Most seasoned bowlers can attest that this is exactly what you get in a game of bowling every time (along with a little frustration!!) But a lot of the time, the excitement may peak at the last quarter, final set or last over!! With bowling we have that same excitement towards the end of the game. This should be used as a selling point to most new bowlers.
Shortening the game will give these kids to maintain their excitement right till the end of a short version of the game and leave the center wanting to come back for more!

Your thoughts!

Bowling in its current form can be personally satisfying, I'll relate this to motor racing so bowlers might understand whyI say bowling is boring for nearly every person watching and lacks something other sports have. My experience watching league bowlers, many of them also have much trouble staying interested in the game.Majority of league bowlers cant get out the door fast enough after the finish and never watch others play. While playing, never talk about bowling, and will chat about any other subject except bowling. Other sports the participants often hang after to watch,chat about their sport and even like to practice during the week.

I've found bowling a good/perfect game personally very satisfying just as I found doing a good/perfect near faultless lap in a racecar very satisfying. I have sometimes done this particular lap in practice or in the middle of a race where unless you have other cars around you, no spectators will have noticed anything special about the lap. Am sure they would not bother to take any notice and if asked would probably say it looked boring. Once I can consistently achieve a similar lap performance, it becomes "normal" and loses most of its appeal.
On other occasions when in a close race with other cars alongside, the lap may have been far less perfect yet immeasurably more satisfying and definitely more interesting personally and for spectators.

I can only think of one instance for me where bowling came close to feeling as good as racing, it wasn't when bowling a perfect game but actually a loss when bowling against A Frawley in a Darwin Tournament, we went strike for strike from the open, Andrew won 263 to my 262. That was the only time in 40yrs that I've bowled where the bad frame matched so a direct competition comparison became possible, shot for shot. I rate that game, the best game of bowling I have ever played, it rates higher in my mind than anything I won, any 300, any 800 for 3, or 1000 for 4 that I bowled.
It was an up close and personal battle with a competitor, similar to a close race with a respected foe.
Bowling is almost always only the personal achievement without the competitive buzz because scoring makes direct head to head, minute by minute competition almost impossible to compare. (like what a racing lap lacks when not at same piece of road as your competition)
It's rare in bowling to have the feeling of competition directly against a competitor as I've explained.
If you want bowling to be bigger, you need to find a way to make it common place for bowlers to have the same feeling of direct competition that many other sports have. Bowling needs to go beyond personal achievement every time you compete.
If others can see this emotion caused by competing, you have something to grow the sport. It makes competing better and it makes the recognition of the skills greater, that adds prestige.
What bowler can say they prefer people NOT to admire the skill. How many times does it take before the personal achievement of bowling well, becomes your normal and then bowling starts to become a little boring.

Bowling at a Tournament where there are multiple squads, its not head to head, only pinfall.
Come the second day, and it's not until a step-ladder before there is something more direct. Even then it's pinfall at the end and lacks a directness of shot by shot needed in true competition, yet most bowlers in this Country would never get that far.

Why not make every time you bowl in any comp, a direct contest where you can tell who is winning at every point during the match

Mistagear said
"Bowling in its current form can be personally satisfying, I'll relate this to motor racing so bowlers might understand whyI say bowling is boring for nearly every person watching and lacks something other sports have. My experience watching league bowlers, many of them also have much trouble staying interested in the game.Majority of league bowlers cant get out the door fast enough after the finish and never watch others play. While playing, never talk about bowling, and will chat about any other subject except bowling. Other sports the participants often hang after to watch,chat about their sport and even like to practice during the week."...

I have often wondered that myself??? Why?? It appears like they aren't even enjoying themselves before, during and after league bowling... I don't understand. There is almost no chatter re how they are bowling, their lines, anything.. can't imagine that happening at a golf or tennis club, or really organised sporting centre/club..

Can anyone explain this?

That really is a fair point.

Two reasons come to mind,

1: if league is your one night out for the week, it's your time, then you are there for the social side. the fun of the people around you. Bowling is great for this, as we all bowl from and same end. They get out of there quickly after league cause they need to get home to what they have escaped for a few hours.

2: if tournament play, a lot of the time people don't want to tell you what they are doing and trying, and some do. i guess that depends on how competitive the person is.

me i will talk your ear off about bowling, the weather and any other topic you care to talk to me about.

For those not old enough to know, Lee Trevino was a top class golfer, and he was renouned for non-stop talking during the game.
His opponent on this particular day, wanted not to be distracted from his game, and before they teed off, said to Lee, 'Lee, I don't want to talk to-day." To which Lee replied, "that's fine, that's fine - I'll talk - you listen "

Back
Top Bottom