how to increase carry

left handed is still the go champion!
just go and seagull behind Macca, he'll show ya how to carry at Blacktown :)
Give me 2 weeks and ill be back there and ill give you a refresher course to mate.... free of charge to for you :cool:

Chowny said:
left handed is still the go champion!
just go and seagull behind Macca, he'll show ya how to carry at Blacktown :)
Give me 2 weeks and ill be back there and ill give you a refresher course to mate.... free of charge to for you :cool:

hahaha i totally agree with you mate, but he still cant out average me hahaha im on 228 he is only 224, my games are just more consistant, i just cant bowl the big game

I am going to try the same line as macca but on the right and see what happens, maybe it might work

Easy Tiger said:
OK true. Can you blame kickbacks for the 7 standing with the 9? Possibly. Fact is I've done it twice at Richlands, both times on the very same lane, Lane number 5. Sure it may just be bad luck and coincidence that it's happened the two times I have bowled on that pair, specifically on that lane. Maybe the rack is offset, although it didn't look to be either time. I've bowled in a lot of centres, on a lot of conditions, on wood, anvilane and guardian overlay, brunswicks, HPLs, and fixed, washed and cleaned a few kickbacks too, and I can't say I can recall leaving it anywhere else as a right hander.
Maybe Luke or Hamish can inform me.. I don't think it was a bad shot, nor do I think it was any higher or stronger in the pocket than the previous ball which was a strike. But, as you say, the 9 pin stood so it must have been a stronger entry angle. Please tell me why the 7 would stand with it?
Think about this for a second...

Firstly, We're all out there using cover stocks loaded with plasticisers (reactive resin). They don't deflect too much these days unless they skid 60' or roll out.

A "flush 7" is a seven pin that stands from a "high flush" hit. Rather than ask "why the 7 would stand with the 9?" Doesn't it make sense that such a high "flush 7" hit can stand a solid 9 at the same time? You're not being ripped off. The pins are telling you you've got too much reaction between the highly reactive ball and what sounds like a highly reactive lane! Go to a lesser ball or move left.

And MattR, I have it on good authority that Robert Smith's favourite Storm ball is a Big Hit. Seriously entry level stuff. Belmo has been known to use a Hit, bottom of the line in Storm gear. When the lane gives too much reaction, select a ball to match up with a bit less. There's still heaps to play with! You'll also find that you can free your swing up with the lesser ball.

The next piece of advice is this. You go to a harder ball for a more controlled reaction and reduced entry angle/cleaner carry. Use it this way. Don't be tempted to stomp on it or you'll end up in the same hole as before, only working harder to dig deeper. The cranker using a straighter ball on a drier lane is such a great sight. I've seen guys average 240 like this. All that grunt held in check for the pins - what a beautiful thing! You could even - dare I say it - use a urethane ball if they're that dry! It will get you through toasted heads effortlessly and hold the pocket really well. If you've thrown that many 300's, then carry doesn't sound like an issue. It's just that you've got to have something left on the ball when it gets to the hole. The super-duper-hyper gear just gets too spent too quick on dry HPL. The architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said "Less is More". Sometimes it's true in bowing too.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom