how to increase carry

mattr

Guys

im finding my carry is getting worse and worse. I have tried all differnt kinds of ball drilling, hand releases but nothing seems to work. I have tried move back, moving forward on the approach but nothing. I watch every week people just scatter pins (not hard) they just seem to fall ovwer each other but i just cant seem to match it.

Anyone with some ideas please let me know

Cheers
Matt

wchester said:
Tell us again......How many 300s have you bowled since last year? :-k

mmmmmmmmm 7 last year 2 this year. Just the last 2 months my carry has been pretty ordinary

thats crazy....7 last year...hey matty im no experienced bowler. but plain and simple...some gear just doesnt suit certain lanes. i bowled in a different centre the other week...and was leaving 7-10 7's 10's and other assorted rubbish out of great shots....while others were missing and striking.

then went back to my normal lanes. and shot like 232 ave for 4....go figure

i know of someone else who has the same thing happen...

mattr said:
Guys
im finding my carry is getting worse and worse. I have tried all differnt kinds of ball drilling, hand releases but nothing seems to work. I have tried move back, moving forward on the approach but nothing. I watch every week people just scatter pins (not hard) they just seem to fall ovwer each other but i just cant seem to match it.
Anyone with some ideas please let me know
Cheers
Matt

I know what you're talking about Matt.. I had little problem with backrow leaves last year. This year I can't seem to knock them over consistantly with any equipment bar a kitchen sink. Then there's just bad luck.. I mean hey tonight I left a flush 7-9 from a solid right handed pocket shot at Richlands. I might add that this is the second time it has happened on Lane 5 at Richlands this year! Kickbacks? Pins? mmm... When you're not in form, pin carry seems to be the first thing to go.. the scouts you used to get.. gone..

Perhaps it is ball speed, maybe try lowering it a bit if you can while still keeping it in the pocket.

Easy Tiger said:
I know what you're talking about Matt.. I had little problem with backrow leaves last year. This year I can't seem to knock them over consistantly with any equipment bar a kitchen sink. Then there's just bad luck.. I mean hey tonight I left a flush 7-9 from a solid right handed pocket shot at Richlands. I might add that this is the second time it has happened on Lane 5 at Richlands this year! Kickbacks? Pins? mmm... When you're not in form, pin carry seems to be the first thing to go.. the scouts you used to get.. gone..
Perhaps it is ball speed, maybe try lowering it a bit if you can while still keeping it in the pocket.

Well slower ball speed may help but then i have to resort to using a Groove dry R or something that doesnt hook because of the dryer lanes here in NSW. I think the problem is that the edge is so dry and the ball is coming back so hard the pins just fly around way to much.

I am trying different hand positions at the moment to get a little more side roll on the ball, seems to work for some people so i will see how i go

Have you tried left handed yet matty? Maybe its not the hand postions, but the hand....lol :)

matt go to www.bowl4fun.com and check out the tip archives. i dont know if there will be anything useful in there for you but you never know there might just be something you can utilise. ron clifton is one of the best out there so i imagine he might have something that can help

mattr said:
Well slower ball speed may help but then i have to resort to using a Groove dry R or something that doesnt hook because of the dryer lanes here in NSW.

Then that is what needs to be done :D

Sometimes, we might be forced to do something that we dont want to do. You say that the lanes are extremely dry up there, so I would definately be using something that clears the lane easier, allowing it to retain its energy for the deck. Using an agressive ball on dry lanes often can result in poor carry, ESPECIALLY with a bowler of your power and speed. Lower rev players can get away with using more agressive gear a little more, because its easier to get a ball to retain axis migration and energy intertia when its not rotating as fast.

Remember, bowling is not about how, but how much, so if that means resorting to using an entry level ball, and only moving it 5 boards, then so be it :D

Good luck either way :)

tonx said:
Then that is what needs to be done :D
Sometimes, we might be forced to do something that we dont want to do. You say that the lanes are extremely dry up there, so I would definately be using something that clears the lane easier, allowing it to retain its energy for the deck. Using an agressive ball on dry lanes often can result in poor carry, ESPECIALLY with a bowler of your power and speed. Lower rev players can get away with using more agressive gear a little more, because its easier to get a ball to retain axis migration and energy intertia when its not rotating as fast.
Remember, bowling is not about how, but how much, so if that means resorting to using an entry level ball, and only moving it 5 boards, then so be it :D
Good luck either way :)

Yes but i have the disadvantage then, if i have to use a ball with no weightblock im not going to score as good as someone who can use top end gear isnt that so

mattr said:
Yes but i have the disadvantage then, if i have to use a ball with no weightblock im not going to score as good as someone who can use top end gear isnt that so

Why not? Your powerful release doesn't need a weight block to knock the pins down, a 15pd object travelling at 30+kph has more than enough energy to knock down the pins, and using a dry lane ball on dry lanes, can actually have you hitting the pins HARDER, due to its ability to retain energy inertia.

I also have a PG dry/r, and on drier lanes, I can have it hitting harder than anything else ive got in the bag! We, as modern day bowlers, need to base ball selection on matching up with the condition, more so than how much the ball is 'hooking' to allow the ball to release its energy at the right point.

Its important to be confident in using the ball that matches to the condition, so if you don't BELIEVE the pg dry/r is the best bet for you on these conditions, then it won't be, however theoretically, it probably is...

Hope this helps :D

correct me if i am wrong as i have had a fair gap in my bowling
but as a junior i was told that acceleration is what makes pins scatter
if the ball rolls out then pins will fall rather than fly around
changing ball and line to acheive this is what is necessary
i was also told although i know things have changed quite a bit that the perfect strike the ball will touch only the 1,3,5,9 pins
so i dont mean to be a smart ar$e tim but to leave a flush 9 pin can you blame kickbacks
dan

double_d said:
correct me if i am wrong as i have had a fair gap in my bowling
but as a junior i was told that acceleration is what makes pins scatter
if the ball rolls out then pins will fall rather than fly around
changing ball and line to acheive this is what is necessary
i was also told although i know things have changed quite a bit that the perfect strike the ball will touch only the 1,3,5,9 pins
so i dont mean to be a smart ar$e tim but to leave a flush 9 pin can you blame kickbacks
dan

OK true. Can you blame kickbacks for the 7 standing with the 9? Possibly. Fact is I've done it twice at Richlands, both times on the very same lane, Lane number 5. Sure it may just be bad luck and coincidence that it's happened the two times I have bowled on that pair, specifically on that lane. Maybe the rack is offset, although it didn't look to be either time. I've bowled in a lot of centres, on a lot of conditions, on wood, anvilane and guardian overlay, brunswicks, HPLs, and fixed, washed and cleaned a few kickbacks too, and I can't say I can recall leaving it anywhere else as a right hander.

Maybe Luke or Hamish can inform me.. I don't think it was a bad shot, nor do I think it was any higher or stronger in the pocket than the previous ball which was a strike. But, as you say, the 9 pin stood so it must have been a stronger entry angle. Please tell me why the 7 would stand with it?

kickbacks
lol
nah i not really sure maybe even deeper gutters and the 4 pin didnt get out to hit the seven
pretty good aswell for the ball to go through and miss both 7 and 9 after deflecting off other pins
dan

Yes, true, could be the flatgutters on lane 5.

Either way, odd coincidence its happened twice on the same lane..

mattr said:

Hey Matt
Just thought i would let you know, when i have the same problem carrying with my high performance ball, i go to something a bit weaker (my rotogrip Ultra Sonic) and even tho i don't get the whipcrack sound that my first choice ball gives me, if i get it into the pocket it'll still carry pretty clean.
As for the problem with lighter oil here in NSW.... have u heard of the Ebonite Clear wolf? Essentially it is a plastic ball that has some sort of weight block inside... now i'm not a very high rev bowler like you, but i can still hook the plastic and have it recover from about 5 board, with the ball being so hard, a bit of revs on it can just about give u the same strike a reactive ball does. See if you can get your hand on one of them, it's tough and they're old, but if you like, we can organise to bowl somewhere in sydney where there's little oil and you can try mine out and see if it solves your problem!
Cheers
Rayzer

Rayzer said:
Hey Matt
Just thought i would let you know, when i have the same problem carrying with my high performance ball, i go to something a bit weaker (my rotogrip Ultra Sonic) and even tho i don't get the whipcrack sound that my first choice ball gives me, if i get it into the pocket it'll still carry pretty clean.
As for the problem with lighter oil here in NSW.... have u heard of the Ebonite Clear wolf? Essentially it is a plastic ball that has some sort of weight block inside... now i'm not a very high rev bowler like you, but i can still hook the plastic and have it recover from about 5 board, with the ball being so hard, a bit of revs on it can just about give u the same strike a reactive ball does. See if you can get your hand on one of them, it's tough and they're old, but if you like, we can organise to bowl somewhere in sydney where there's little oil and you can try mine out and see if it solves your problem!
Cheers
Rayzer

As i am fully sponsored by brunswick i wouldnt be able to bowl with any other gear. I did have one of those some years back and the only shot u could play was up 5, i have a visaball and that hooks to much for the dry edge at my home centre as well as blacktown
I am going try some things tongiht in laegue by making more of a direct line and more speed to the pocket and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom