FIRES in the ACT

wchester

Bowling Tragic
My prayers go out for all who are affected by the ongoing bush fires in and around the ACT. Many home have been destroyed, some lives lost and ultimately we all will feel it's wrath..
May God be with you all.

Here, here. All our hearts and thoughts go out to all those affected. Are there any bowlers in the area affected. Have the fires been anywhere near the bowl in Belconnen since the fires have recently travelled into this area.

Kelvin

Last I heard, the fires were around the Woden area, which is the south of Canberra, so I would assume Belconnen is alright at the moment. This may have been rumour or hearsay though. There would definately be bowlers in the area being affected, with a bowl in Woden, Belconnen, Tuggeranong & Queanbeyan.

I too pass on my best wishes to anyone & everyone affected by the fires, as I can personally relate after the fires we had last year & this year in the Shoalhaven.

SHOCK

Best wishes to everyone in the ACT & surrounding region

Here at Tuggeranong I had to close the centre at approximately 5pm due to the Whole territory being put on a State of Emergency and then the Tuggeranong area being put on 'RED ALERT'.

Having lived in Perth all my life and knowing too well how hot it gets there and we have plenty of Bush, but never , NEVER in my life have i seen anything like this before.

Applause and a heart felt congratulations to all those brave volunteers out there.

We had a State meeting yesterday out at Belconnen and Drew Cahrlton to my surprise attended having been fighting fires all night.
Drew to you and all the volunteers, fire fighters, medics, RSPCA unit and everyone else invloved you all deserve a medal.

Nice words Al.
I hope everybody in the bowling community is OK, (and everybody else for that matter).
I was away from all media and TV on Saturday, so when I got home on Sunday it was quite a shock to see rows and rows of burnt houses.
Yes the SES, Fire Crews, RSPCA and the hundreds of volunteers our thanks go to you on a very hard, but well-done job.
“Once in two hundred year fire” is what this is being called, so lets hope we don’t see another one.
Now its time to get together and help out one another.

Good luck to all in Canberra.

Stax

Here in SA, we had temperatures over 40C.

It is bitter-sweet as i feel so lucky that during our heat, we havent had any major outbreaks, but then you see the destruction in the ACT as well as Victoria and NSW, you cant but help think that "are we really the lucky country?"

In russia, there are temps -10C INSIDE the house, Floods over in England, snow storms in USA, and fires and heatwaves in Aus.

Today, i heard that the fires are headed towards Belconnen through a wind change. I was half asleep at the time, but i am sure that is what they said.

I give my condolances to all those who have had thier lives interuppted by this horrible disaster, and hope that an end to this fire is near.

Best wishes
Bradley

Fires in Canberra

We extend our heartfelt sympathies to all the residents of Canberra and in particular to any bowler who had the misfortune of sustaining a loss through the horrific fires that swept through Canberra. Scoops is setting up a special relief Fund at Canberra International Bowl, to assist victims of the fires, which will be matched on a dollar for dollar basis by BowlAustralia.

Also if any of our valued League bowlers have sustained a loss due to the fires please let us know as we would like to do something for each of you as well. Aussies have the ability to bounce back from adversity quickly....we will all pull together and get by.

Roy Menachemson
Managing Director BowlAustralia Group

CANBERRA FIRE RELIEF FUND

TotalBowling is supporting a BowlAustralia initiative with a relief fund for all victims of the Canberra fires.

Bowlers can support the Canberra Fire Relief Fund by calling Alan Skupin at Canberra International Bowl on 02 6293 3888 or on his mobile 0414 499 702.

Donations can be made using a credit card over the phone, and will be matched on a dollar for dollar basis by BowlAustralia.

All monies raised will be passed on to the Red Cross through the ACT Chamber Of Commerce.

thanks

thanks everyone for the support. The conditions here in canberra are still pretty bad and fires are still threatening the northside of canberra. Winds are expected to get updwards of 65km's.

Many homes are damaged but there would have been alot more if it wasn't for the support of all the crews working day and night. My thought are with all those still being affected by the fire and just hope for better whether conditions.

Keiran

I just wish to pass on my sympathies and best wishes to our bowling buddies, as well as the general community in Canberra.
Seeing the pictures on television was just horrific.
Was just looking at the www.sentinel.csiro.au/news.html site and it looks as though every State and Territory has major fires burning - Terrible
We too, here in the deep South are also currently in grave danger of severe fire damage with temperatures of between 36° and 41° expected in Hobart and surrounding districts tomorrow with about 8% Humidity and 70kmh winds :shock: :shock:
Speaking to the grandfather today he says he has only seen our Strahan Street (Usually a cold old hole at the best of times) as dry as this twice - Summer of 1944-45 and Summer of 1966-67 - both dreadful fire seasons - and the bush is even DRIER - Scary stuff.
Lets hope for a miracle or one-hundred across Australia VERY SOON.

Back
Top Bottom