The "ZONE" and Matt Kanafa WOW!

wchester

Bowling Tragic
In all my years of bowling professionally as well as watching the very best bowlers in the world, I've witnessed on very few occasions, bowlers young or old, who managed to enter into the ZONE during competition.

Today at Bendigo in the Commonwealth Youth Games, Matt Kanafa put on the most amazing exhibition of bowling that one could ever hope to witness. He finished the six game doubles block with back to back 268 games, and I saw THAT look in his eyes. The look of a champion. Some bowlers flat out refuse to lose and it seems that Mr Kanafa has reached deep into his mind and pulled out THE ULTIMATE TRICK OF THEM ALL.

It's a type of self hypnotic state that makes you believe that you can't miss. And when it happens, you're unbeatable. The ball feels light as air, Your target has a homing device embedded in it, the ball has radar and the pins appear to be a mere obstacles in the path of your ball which acts like a gigantic rolling snowball that gets larger and larger with each revolution as it goes down the lane on it's intended path of destruction. You don't hear a thing, the high fives and handshakes are quickly forgotten, your mind is empty and the strikes keep coming..and coming and coming until it's all over..You've done what very few others can do.

Congratulations Matty..welcome to the BIG TIME!

In the near future, I can see Matty hitting it big in the PBA. And when that happens, Kanafa you will be my favourite PBA pro :D

Nicely said too Wayne

Matty, you are a true champion...I hope you can continue to bowl well in Bendigo...bring home some more gold!!

The Zone

To Wchester - I would like to say what a truly great description of Matts Bowling you have described there. Well done. You have managed to pen exactly how it was. I was with Matt when we read your comments. We were impressed. Thank you. Matt was successful because he laid out his game plan and dedicated himself to the process of shot making - one superb shot after another.

OUr team performance was against sports men and women who have the advantage of paid training with professional coaches all year around. Australians are not so lucky because of the tyrrany of distance between States and development programs.

All four athletes making the Masters final (the top :D 8 ) was also a great honor. Matt answered the challenge and we will hear a lot more from this young man and also our other athletes - I am sure.

Best wishes
Gail

That is a perfact description of Matt. He is a true uprising champion. I have been lucky enough to bowl at Cross Road with him and he is a great role model for all the young talent in Australia

Keep it up Matty

I was fortunate to be on staff at Cross Road during Matt's formative bowling years and also worked with him at the centre and am very pleased to see how much he has accomplished. He is a credit to himself, the sport, his coaches and his family and a pleasure to know. We could all learn from his dedication, application and sportsmanship. Matt you should be very proud of yourself. I know many, many others are. Stacey.

Back
Top Bottom