FAIRLANES RETIRING???

SCOOPS

GUINNESS SWILLUS
Big news round Perth, that the Original and Last Fairlanes Bowling Centre has been sold, and quite possibly to be knocked down

Here's hoping they slot it back in somewhere inside the mega complex that will be built in its place

Many many people have experienced Fairlanes over its 44year existence, alot of GREAT MEMORIES BEEN HAD BY MANY

Perhaps if this is confirmed we could start jotting down some of the memories, speaking on behalf of my father who first visited the centre back in early 66' as a newly arrived immigrant to myself, spending the best part of my life inside this great centre.

Thanks to Fairlanes for such a great time, hopefully relocation will see the beginning of some more great times.

Hope to have this confirmedone way or another,

For years we've heard rumours of the bowl being sold, demolished, AMF takeover, all sorts, so lets hoppe this is just another falseless rumour

:confused:

It would be sad to see Fairlanes go. Fairlaines was the first place I ever bowled at as a kid. I bowled a couple of leagues there when I was younger but gave it up for many years after moving to Victoria. But Fairlanes will always be a special place for me, the people I met and still remember, but can't remember the names of these people.
Natalie O'Connor

Lets hope indeed this is just a rumour. It would be sad to see Fairlanes close up or even change hands to AMF or another bowling chain. Fairlanes is probably the friendliest centre in this state. The staff make you feel welcome (and not just your money).

Like many others, I have fond memories the centre too. Plenty of good times both on and off the lanes there.

The last thing this state needs is for a centre to no longer be in existence.

Yes this would be sad indeed as a patron of the centre for at least 16 years and as a staff member for 2 all up i have been part of this centre for 18 years now give or take. it was might as well say my home ground didn't realy bowl at any other centre.

I remember the 1st day i bowled in the centre it was a Rock n Bowl night and working on the counter was Sylia and Denese Hall and i bowled a little game of 134 for a couple of games then Denese came down to ask me if i would like to Jion a league and from there i jioned the Wooden League on a Wenesday night.

I have a lot of good memories with the place as i have always been there helping out at tournaments and when ever needed. I will sadly miss the staff and patrons from over all the years.

Of course one of my best memories was getting the Secretary of the Year last year. And getting the last few years of Perth Cup shirts signed with the top 16.

MIchael Spatcher

I am to beleive this rumour is true, with Sue telling the staff on Friday...

Very sad to hear but was only a matter of time as the price of land went through the roof....

Lets relive those magic moments that we call Fairlanes City for all to see.....and remember and Icon like like it should be!!!

Sue please organise a function/reunion for the last 40 years...and let everyone remember the First and best Fairlanes centre as it should be!

Fairlanes City maybe going but the memories will live on forver in the minds of the people that have made bowlign and Fairlanes the best centre in Perth!!

Love Clint

coming from the mouth of one that is a youngin to the center as such, its going to be sad to see the place go. Over my young life I have had the priverlage to help the centre out on many occasions whether it was just tidying up or for a major tournament such as F.I.Q.

Sue, you have rocked as manager of this fine center and I do hope that this happy place gets relocated somewhere close by so we can all make some wizard new memories.

This just can't be happening. Fairlanes would have to be the best centre in the state with its location and the facilities yet they are willing to sell out all for the sake of money. Dont ppl think bout traditions anymore??

I mean if WA loses fairlanes what is going to happen to the the perth and gold cups?? Are they not major parts of the bowling calendar over here??

All ill say is lets hope that fairlanes doesnt get put to rest permanently or relocated to the sticks.

Just a question, where could they relocate the centre too??

That's very sad news. I'm very sorry to hear about this.
Is this the centre that's quite close to the WACA?

I have my own memories of the place - I remember it being a very popular centre, I only bowled there one time, Australian Masters qualifying in my last year in Juniors in 1993.
I remember being crook as a dog and pushing myself to near exhaustion by trying to qualify six times or something rediculous like that, only to shoot the same score three times over (601) and sticking a 4-9 on the last ball of the last squad to miss the cut by a pin :mad:
She was a very old centre back in those days, I heard it had been done up in recent years and looked very classy.
I remember the staff were very friendly, sending me drinks down from the cafe because I was quite unwell.

It'll be a real shame to see it go. Great centre.

Thankyou to everyone for your comments and thoughts.
Unfortunately yes it is true. We are all in shock and our priority at the moment is breaking the news to our long time, loyal league bowlers.
Can I just say, I guess we all knew this would happen sooner or later and I think we should be grateful to the owners for allowing me and my predecessors to offer our bowlers so much over the years. They truly are sensitive to the feelings of all staff and bowlers.
I've had tears over the weekend with Val and I'm kind of glad David's not around to see the end of this wonderful establishment.
Let's "soldier on" together and make our last six months our best.
Sue and all past and present staff.

Ohh thats sad news. I'm disappointed that Fairlanes is going to close, the best centre in WA for a long time.

I'm just glad to have bowled there during my time as a junior. It was a great experience and I'm sure no one will ever forget it.

I heard that there is to be a new bowling centre to be built in central perth, but it just wont be the same. But what is to happen to Perth Cup? Will it go the way of the Rosemount Cup and be no more? Or will another centre pick it up?

Anyway, sad to hear it, but thinking of the fond memories

Regards
Adrian

i think it is really sad because i bolw on tuesday nights and thursday nights and it is a nice center i spoke to sue and she told me that its not going to knocked down till feb

Manager Sue broke the news to our league last night in regards to the purchase of the centre by developers.

It was said that the centre is to remain open for approximately 12 months, with league bowling to cease by the end of 2006 for obvious reasons. The centre will remain trading as a social play centre only until approximately June 2007 when settlement is scheduled.

It is known that the centre will be demolished at this time and apartments is the suspected replacement on the site.

I can assure you that Sue is as upset as we all are about the closure of Perth secondest longest running bowling centre, and like everyone it has come as a shock. Sue's determined to make the next 6 months the best she can for all customers and staff under the circumstances and would appreciate everyones support during this time.

It is trading as normal for the near future and the same freindly staff ( and I'm back aswell heheh) are there to make your visits as memorable as possible. The Gold Cup is curently still scheduled to run, as the last major event in the centre. Im sure everyone like myself would love to see this event be as big and successfull as possible as a send off to the centre, and as many participants and spectators both past and present fill the centre.

Remeber guys not only are we not only losing Perth Cup and Gold Cup, we are losing and icon in Perth Ten Pin Bowling.

Sue reads this site regulary and Im sure she would appreciate anyones suggetsions on what to do with some of the centres history. The past 44 years has seen many great and not so great experiences for all who have passed through the Fairlanes doors, and it would be a shame to see it dissapear.

Thanks
Clint

Is it not possible to have a farewell-type Perth Cup, not necessarily under the same format maybe earlier in the year? Even if there are no leagues after christmas you can still have events. :)

Although i have only been around Fairlanes in the last 7 or 8 years,mainly bowling Gold Cup,i feel that an Institution will be lost to the bowling community of Perth an also Australia.

Cant say i wont miss that damm underground carpark,,,,lol

Actually... I don't think ive ever scraped my car in that carpark...

*touches wood*

There's still time yet. :S

Very Sad,

While i have only been across for a couple of Perth Cups, had a great time this year (not so great Tuesday morning. Damn Becks) and is a fantastic tournament. Would certainly be a pity to lose it completely. While it would'nt be the same, any chance of the Perth Cup being run elsewhere. Was already looking into cheap airfares for next year. Will have to put on hold for time being.

Rob C.

I very seldom get emotional ove rthe closure of a bowling centre, but in this case, I am devastated!!!!!!

So many great memories, not only from wins in Perth Cups, but the great staff, friendly atmosphere, and supportive crowds. I was always made to feel very much at home at Fairlanes, firstly by Val and David and later by Sue, not to mention the great staff they have had there over the years, far too many to name here. Fairlanes at Perth Cup time always had a bit of a special feel about it that has never been able to be reproduced anywhere else.

A sad day indeed.

Sad to see.......
Aways was a great highlight on my bowling calendar, ashame I haven't been able to make it in recent years....old age (not as old as sue thou) .
Always a good tournament for me and atmosphere and people.......Val, late David and Bo, spectators.....staff...............oh yes and Sue my old dancing partner........NOT.

Will miss those days and the bowl.

Cheers
Tony

Back
Top Bottom