Do you warm up first?

Yes always.

I think that it depends on how you were taught/coached. From a young age as a junior we always used to do stretches before bowling and that has just become part of my game. You do it without even thinking about it.

We also run a junior development squad and they all do stretches before practice - and now you see the same kids doing them before league without saying anything to them. It has become part of their game.

Its funny though we quite often have work social functions - ski trips, go karts etc including a bowling night. - Most injuries - bowling - We have had guys do hamstrings, shoulders, wrists, ankles etc. A social bowler does not always know how slipperly house shoes are. (If you dont believe me try a pair), bowl to fast, ball to heavy/light, does not fit them, finish on the worng foot and smash their ankle. The list can go on.

To the unsuspecting social bowler it is fairly easy to ge an injury.
Who bowls regularly and can say that they have not seen a liitle kid run down the lane only to see the parent go belly up on the oil whilst running after them?

I don't warm up much either, just kind of move around a little and loosen up. I once read an article in a health and sporting mag that said excessive stretching before exercise reduces your actual muscle strength during your sporting performance. It went on to suggest that a warm up should be done using similar movement or activity to the sporting activity you are about to begin. So, most of my warm up is my practise shots, I just throw a few easy gentle shots before I begin "letting loose".

Stretching shouldnt be classed as an effective routine though, you need to get the heart rate elevated and get blood flowing to your muscles before hand. Not only does it get blood flowing to your muscles but it increases the delivery of oxygen and other nutrients to the muscles and gets them ready for stretching. Stretching can form part of any good warmup routine, it helps to free up joints, tendons and muscles but you really do need to get the heart moving and blood flowing in order to be effective

Ive seen a few people who have pretty good warmup routines but totally forget about cooling down, after hours of pretty full on bowling they just suddenly stop everything, thats not exactly a great way to keep things loose. You can stiffen up pretty quickly as lactic acids build up within muscles, a good cool down routine can help lessen stiffness and soreness felt the day after by giving your muscles and tendons a chance to return to their resting lengths. Stretching is great as part of cooling down, because your muscles and tendons are already warmed up it lessens the chance of an injury occuring (compared to doing the same when cold).

As long as you arent doing anything detrimental to your health, anything is better than nothing, warming up shouldnt make any difference if you are 8 or 80, everyone benefits from it. The more physical and active your game is, the more impact your joints suffer, the more you should be thinking about developing a good routine, it can help reduce your chance of suffering an injury and can lessen the effect of one if you do happen to hurt something.

Ice said:
I don't warm up much either, just kind of move around a little and loosen up. I once read an article in a health and sporting mag that said excessive stretching before exercise reduces your actual muscle strength during your sporting performance. It went on to suggest that a warm up should be done using similar movement or activity to the sporting activity you are about to begin. So, most of my warm up is my practise shots, I just throw a few easy gentle shots before I begin "letting loose".

Mmm, thats not really correct.

A good routine should have a few stages. The first stage should consist of low intensity physical activity to get your heart rate up. A brisk walk and / or jogging on the spot are great for this, get your arms moving to help get your upper body involved too.

The second stage is where you can do specific sport orientated movements, you need to begin at a slower pace (low intensity) in order to build up to the exercise you are about to enjoy. A good example is going through the paces of bowling, go through your delivery at 1/4 pace, it will simulate what you are doing when bowling but without the stress indured at full pace (which could cause an injury).

Stretching can follow once you have warmed up, its a good idea only to perform them after you have warmed up because you run the risk of a muscle tear when cold. A good plan should only include static stretching (this is the stretching where you stetch and hold the stretch for a period of time), you dont want to stretch too far to the point you feel any discomfort. Try to keep from bouncing through the stretch too, you dont want to bring in any jarring type of movements. You want to focus on the muscle groups used during bowling. Stretching is good to follow as part of a cool down routine (as i said above), a warmup routine is something you want to get your heart rate up and blood flowing during, thats the key.

i warm up, becuase it losens my arm muscles! since i broke it! it has always gave me troble when i bowl! but i guess that is expected! i have to losen them! other wise i over stretch them and it hurts like hell and i cant bowl! SO WARM UP OR FACE THE CHANCE OF AN INJURY IS WHAT I SAY LOL!

It helps calm you before a big game 2

Birkett

I certainly take the time to stretch pre bowling.
Although i am not that old i find if i don't i will have back and knee stiffness and generally find bowling a little uncomfortable.

I just use the good old towel over the top of the head with arms stretched apart,then stretch over and some squats this generally keeps me out of trouble. ;)

I stretch my arms and shoulder muscles a little before starting and i start off easily and dont really put effort into my shots for the first few so my fingers feel warm too

Back
Top Bottom