Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I trto drill all my gear differently

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I just get whatever my driller puts on it

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
D

Ducati 851

Just wanna know what everyone else does in this area.

Do you buy balls that go longer earlier...balls that snap...balls that arc
and drill them pretty standard or aggressive

Or do you put a lot of different drillings on your gear.

The reason for this...is i buy a lot of gear. and everytime ive tried a different drilling as in...anything other than stacked..or pin over. The ball never ends up the way i like it.

Ive found by drilling stacked or pin over on my lighteroil gear. Im always getting the best reaction in my gear

How does everyone do it?

i had a lot of success in my junior years with my purple beast drilled pin axis
and just now have had another ball drilled sae way and love it
predictable asnothing fancy just does what i ask

I just normally tell the ball driller what I want the ball to do (get lots of strikes) and let him worry about the pattern. :rolleyes:

rynzeski said:
I just normally tell the ball driller what I want the ball to do (get lots of strikes) and let him worry about the pattern.
I don't know enough to ask for a specific drill. I normally ask about something only to then be told why it is not feasable or its the wrong ball for that job :)

theres drilling i put on certain, balls, eg have set drillings for pearls, and so on

I haven't had enough experience to go for the 'boutique' drillings, and I've only used one reactive bowling ball in my time as a bowler

If I was to recommend anything, I'd say to drill all bowling balls the same. This makes sure that the only difference is the ball itself. Makes it easy to match up according to each ball's figures. Eg. a ball that is designed to go for length will automatically go longer than one that isn't as long as they are drilled the same.

As for what sort of balls to buy - this goes with what I said above. If I buy an arsenal that has two or three different reaction types, there are benefits of adaptation. I wouldn't try buying three of the same ball and drilling them different (what happens if you forget which pin position is which? :confused: )

But it depends on the bowler so follow whatever feels right (or go to someone that knows more than you to help make the decision).

Good topic Shan, ill give my opinion....

I use the drilling that allows the ball to do what I want it to do, and release its energy at the appropriate part of the lane, enabling it to carry better on the condition that its made for, ie: 'do its job better'. This helps when playing different parts of the lane when required.

I actually know of a Track staffer in America who has 10 of the same ball, with different drillings and surface prep, and he is able to combat most conditions with this..... Crazy to most people, but if it works, GOOD ON HIM ;)

Cheers!

Unless you know what you are doing, you can run into problems very quickly with drilling layouts. This is why unless you know how to lay out a ball, it's best you leave it to your ball driller. Sure ask him/her some questions and maybe make a suggestion, and definately let them know what reaction you're looking for, but if you're doing it yourself and don't have a good grasp of the theory.. my advice is don't go fancy.

As I drill all my own gear I have tried many layouts, and generally I prefer to stick to some of the more standard ones. Stacked leverage has never been a favourite of mine, but I've done it for some others and had great results. Pin over bridge with CG in the centre of grip works well for myself on drier conditions as it makes the ball movement slightly later down the lane, and usually stronger. Another favourite drilling of mine is to put the pin under the ring finger, and kick the CG out, placing a balance hole on the PAP.

Find out through trial and error what suits your game, and work with it.

Back
Top Bottom