A common question answer...

tonx

Because quite alot of new/younger bowlers are very interested in drilling patterns and guidelines, I have decided to post some very useful GENERIC information that is applied when drilling a bowling ball. This exact wording is from a rather large ballreviews post;
( http://www.ballreviews.com/Forum/Replies.asp?TopicID=74110&ForumID=16&CategoryID=5)

As quite simply, I dont have the time to post anything of this size in my own wording. Enjoy!!!

AFFECT OF PIN PLACMENT
Pin to PAP distance:
0" - minimum flare potential, core is in it's most stable position, earliest roll with smoothest arc.
1 1/8" - 1/3 of flare potential, stable core position, earlier roll with smooth arc.
2 1/4" - 2/3 of flare potential, semi stable core position, early roll with strong arc.
3 3/8" - max flare potential, most unstable core position, medium length with the most hook potential.
4 1/2" - 2/3 of flare potential, semi stable core position, late roll with flip/arc reaction.
5 5/8" - 1/3 of flare potential, stable core position, later roll with a flip reaction.
6 3/4" - minimum flare potential, stable core position, latest roll with strongest flip.
Remember : These reaction charcteristics are all relative to the conditions they are being used on and may not perform as expected due to burning up too early or not setting up early enough.
Pin to grip center (GC) distance: The higher the pin above grip center the more lenght you will get fot given pin to PAP distance. The placement in relation to GC also affects where the tracks of track flare intersect (bow tie). Higher pin = Higher intersection. For this reason they suggest high trackers place the pin higher above GC to reduce the risk of flaring over the finger holes.

AFFECTS OF MASS BIAS (MB) PLACEMENT
As the angle goes from 75° (strong/flip) to 0° length will be reduced and have more of an arc reaction. From 75° to 105° lenght will increase and have more of an arc reaction. Beyond 105° the reaction will keep a very similar reaction but with more length.
Remember : These only enhance the characteristics of the given ball and Pin placement and the flip (strong) position may not necessarily have the biggest backend reaction on given condition due to many other variables that affect ball reaction (bowlers specs, lane condition, etc.)

regards
Tonx

p.s.If you have any spare time, reading the entire post (as I did quite some time ago) provides great (and quite accurate) information on many different help topics.

p.p.s If you do find this helpful, a mention would be great too, as I can pass it straight onto the author of this huge post....

Excellent post Tonx! (WOW! What a link!) It may help people visualise this to think of all these 1 1/8" increments in pin to PAP distance as 15 degree shifts, which is half the distance between numbers on a clock.

Cheers,
Jason