Ebonite Black Ice

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 4 3/4"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 5 1/2"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:
After getting started with some great Ebonite equipment, I still needed something in the lower hook range that pushed through the front of the lane easily. I picked out the Black Ice due to its lower differential and higher rg combination. I chose a 4 3/4" pin distance to get the ball to flare a little bit, but a weaker preferred spin axis location to really delay the breakpoint.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:
No problems with length from the Black Ice. As you should expect from a ball with a .031" differential, creating length is not going to be a problem. The ball simply does not have enough differential to create a high amount of track flare. We know that track flare equals friction. So when we take away track flare, we take away friction with the lane surface. I was even a little more liberal than I've been in years past on pin position with this ball, selecting a 4 3/4" pin to PAP distance. But the skinny, weaker core of the Black Ice is the controlling factor. The Black Ice has cleared the front of any lane condition and surface I've thrown it on so far with no trouble whatsoever.

The Black Ice is a little off of what I was hoping for at the breakpoint. I was really hoping for a slow-arcing type of reaction. Instead, I get an extremely long arc as the ball travels down the lane. The problem is that this can force you into bad angles through the front of the lane. Combining the 4 3/4" pin with a 5 1/2" preferred spin axis in the Black Ice has created an extremely weak ball for my game. Remember though, there are no bad bowling balls, only bad bowling ball reactions.

As you would expect, the Black Ice is a fairly straight ball for me. But it could end up being very beneficial. Sometimes you drill a new ball, learn that you've missed just a bit from what you had hoped for, but you can see the benefits of the bowling ball. Look for me to drill another Black Ice in the near future with a more aggressive layout. The Black Ice has the ability to provide a very smooth, sweeping arc type of reaction that can really be a life saver on tougher conditions. I'll keep this Black Ice around for the dryer heads and local tournaments. We have plenty of places here locally where this ball could get action.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

A picture of this ball and the layout can be viewed on our website if you are interested.