Ebonite The Big One

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 5 3/4"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

I wanted a ball that allowed me to play straighter angles through the front portion of the lane while still retaining a "pointed" or sharp looking breakpoint. If you read my ball review on the Big Time from June 3rd, you'll see in this review how planning out a desired reaction can be the difference.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

The Big One is exactly what I expected in the front part of the lane. The ball is a very aggressive coverstock from Ebonite and needs sufficient head oil to get through the front. With my physical game, this matches up great anyway. No way will you see me going straight through the front if there is some friction available. In this layout, I'm using a moderate pin position to control the early track flare. By combining pin position with my knowledge of the coverstock, I know exactly what I'm going to get in the front part of the lane.

I chose to use a 5 3/4" PSA distance from my PAP. By placing the preferred spin axis in this position, I still get that quick move when the ball begins to lose axis rotation. Notice that I was even lucky enough to get a center of gravity that lined up to the right of the pin-psa line. By placing the center of gravity closer to my axis, I tend to get a quick move at the breakpoint followed by a lot of controllable forward roll. This gets the ball into a heavy end over end roll, which is great for playing straighter angles with my game.

The overall hook of my Big One ball is similar to my One ball. The main difference is the front end look. By using a stronger cover with a lower pin height, I've created earlier roll on the lane. My partner Jesse may not have liked my intent with this ball, but this layout gives me exactly what I was looking for when I went to the drill press.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

A picture of this ball and the layout can be seen on our website if you are interested in seeing them.