Ebonite Big Time Pearl

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 4 1/4"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

In this ball I wanted to accomplish two things. First, I wanted something that was slightly weaker than my One ball but slightly more than my Overtime (both reviewed on June 3rd). Second, I wanted to give this coverstock another try after botching my first attempt with the Big Time solid. I think this cover has a place in my bag and I was convinced that I could get a decent look with it.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

One thing I've learned about Ebonite bowling equipment over the past month is that the coverstocks are very clean through the front of the lane. Ebonite balls also use a little more differential than other manufacturer's equipment. This can create slightly more violent breakpoints than normal, and you have to be careful with layout and ball selection so that you don't get an uncontrollable bowling ball.

The Big Time Pearl clears the front of the lane reasonably well for a particle coverstock bowling ball. You'll notice my rankings show that the ball has length characteristics between my One and Overtime, just as I had hoped. The Big Time Pearl has had no trouble clearing the front on any synthetic lane surface. Our local bowling center has Guardian lane surface in the first 18 feet. I do have to make sure to rotate the axis slightly more in this center to get the ball through the front. Overall, the length of the Big Time Pearl is right where I expected.

Notice the preferred spin axis distance I chose on this ball. If you continue to follow our reviews on this site, you'll learn that this layout is very common in my bag. It tends to give me a nice reaction shape for my game, and the look fits my eye. All of us have a preferred ball reaction that we like to see on the lane. Many of my friends tell me that I like to see "weird" ball reactions. I tend to look for ball reaction that loses axis rotation quickly, getting the ball into a heavy forward roll in front of the pocket.

Using the 4 1/4" preferred spin axis location in combination with this pin position is a sure lock to get me the type of reaction I'm describing. When this Big Time Pearl begins to read friction on the lane, it flares very quickly and loses the majority of its axis rotation in a very short distance. This creates quick transition and a lot of entry angle into the pocket.

In overall hook, my Big Time Pearl fits in right where I had hoped. A simple 1-1 or 2-1 move away from my One ball gets me to the hole with the Big Time Pearl. I will admit that the Big Time Pearl is definitely closer to the One than the Overtime in overall hook. My Overtime ball is anywhere from 4-6 boards straighter depending on lane condition and surface.

With less than a month until the True Amateur Tournament, High Roller, and Mini-Eliminator, I have a great 3-ball progression for tournament play from my One, to my Big Time Pearl, to my Overtime.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

A picture of this ball and the layout can be seen on our website if you are interested.