Ebonite Black Ice-2

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 3 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 4 1/4"
Balance Hole: 1" Hole x 2" Deep - 4" From Grip Center through Center of Gravity
Surface Preparation: Sanded with 1000 Grit Abralon Pads

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

I was looking for something very specific when I drilled this Sanded Black Ice. Notice that I used a very strong layout along with a sanded coverstock in combination with a weaker bowling ball. I was looking for a way to play closer to the drier part of the lanes with a sanded coverstock ball.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

While some may expect this ball to hook earlier on me due to the 1000 Grit Abralon surface, the key here is the strength of the core. The Black Ice core is so weak that the ball simply doesn't hook early on me. The .027" differential allows the ball to push through the front part of the lane regardless of the coverstock surface. This was great for me as my goal was to play closer to the drier portions of the lane.

With the stronger pin position and preferred spin axis location, I get a very strong but easy to control breakpoint off of the dry. The ball I chose is actually weak enough that I have to force the reaction right into the dry boards to get a nice strong reaction. This is extremely advantageous for me because I have an entire arsenal of equipment that I don't have to get to the dry boards to get hook. This sanded Black Ice is very different from everything else I have, and the breakpoint I get from it reminds me of an incredibly juiced up urethane ball.

Even with the layout I chose and the sanding of the coverstock, the sanded Black Ice is still a fairly weak ball in my bag. Certainly stronger than my other box condition Black Ice, but much weaker than everything else but my Whirlwind. The key to this ball will be identifying when to throw it instead of the Whirlwind that I reviewed recently. The indicator should be the move off of the dry boards and which one allows me to hit the pocket with more frequency.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, please visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.