Country Cup Format - Does It Need To Change?

Some very good ideas people. Cant say i am a fan of the easter weekend idea, what i am a fan of is going to a different center each year and seeing different sights. Its part of the attraction of the weekend. Whilst i cant speak on behalf of the bowl owners i would have to imaging some money would be made on such a tournament and not having it held in the country would take a whole lot of cash out of the local ecconomy, not just the bowl. Think of the amount of accomodation and meal expenditure! Country areas need this income, especially in these times, so lets keep the event in the areas that need it please.
Jason Motta

Let's not forget that the women were not supposed to be still bowling at 2 am.
The centre was simply not capable of sticking to the schedule that had been set down (through no fault of the tournament team).
There needs to be some type of assessment as to whether a centre is capable of holding such a tournament. I don't believe that a centre/ association should be hosting Country Cup just because it's their "turn"

I was not there enough on the weekend to know the answer to this so maybe somebody could tell me why they ran so far behind schedule?

I concede on the Morwell/Geelong idea and back Graeme's suggestion about holding it in the big smoke. I feel strongly about men and women being able to bowl at the same time.

Liz

we either fill the bye
or
wodonga goes
quite simple, last in = first to go
Strictly speaking the new Sale & District or Sale and Area association is the last to join. The old Sale and the new Sale are two different entities. Sale and Area joined in 2001, Ovens & Murray (Wodonga) in 2000.

Strictly speaking 120,000 is a damn big "Country" town

Many anomalies - will be difficult to come up with a definitive answer without putting someones nose out of joint (that's assuming i have not done so already).

Adding weaker associations will only lessen the competition that has always been so strong (any of 4 mens teams could still have won this year going into the last game). Adding extra teams also means that some centres won't be big enough - if we go to 12 - Albury and Colac only have 10 lanes, 14 teams - Warrnambool and Sale with 12 lanes get added to the list. All of sudden half the associations don't get to host the comp.

Morwell and Geelong hosting year in year out means LV and Geelong will win a lot of the time (they both won last time they hosted).

Changing format to peterson points or minimum games rule totally disadvantages smaller associations and favour the bigger, stronger ones with more depth.

In my humble opinion the competition was at its best when we had 10 teams. It seemed to work okay for about 15 years. Sure, it meant no Saturday night get together but at least we finished at a decent hour every night and got home Monday at a respectable hour. No problems with byes when there was 10 teams either. All centres can host as none are less than 10 lanes.

Just don't know how we can return to that system though - i can't see anyone being kicked out and i don't think i would like to see that happen.

Maybe, whoever finishes last place gets dropped and we go back to 10. Then next year 10 place is also dumped. Those wanting to get back in - together with any new Associations such as Nth Geelong or Horsham can play for the final position for the following year. That way we get the "best of the rest" and the newer inexperienced centres get some serious competition and a taste of CCup (i can see many arguments against that idea too but thought i would add it to the list of suggestions!).

A merge between Warrnambool and Colac -- good idea Rob

Jason Way - 3 time allstar - winning CCup capt
Merv Billing - 5 time allstar - 5 time winning CCup Mens team
Shane Griffiths - 2 time allstar - 2 time winning CCup Men team
Tim Treloar - 1 time allstar - 1 time winning CCup men team
Mattie Wines - winning CCup team member - and made an opponent cry!
Neil Thompson - 7 times allstar - 4 time winning mens team
Ian Poysor / Kevin Bagg - both allstars and been in at least 4 or 5 winning mens teams
Eddie Way (could finally retire like he keeps saying he is going to !)

Now that is a team that would take some beating!

Manager - would be a fight between Tania and myself - i would probably lose that one - i can't coach so i guess No 1 supporter would be my role.

Just have to decide on a shirt and we are right to go

I was not there enough on the weekend to know the answer to this so maybe somebody could tell me why they ran so far behind schedule?
55 minutes per game was allowed (just like every other year), but every single time a ball was bowled it took about 5 seconds for the sweep to come down - this meant none of the games finished in less than 1 hour. -- losing 5 minutes per game - 16 games per day = 80 minutes - which is about how much over time we were each day. This is where I believe most of the time was lost.

the night out can be done with earlier starts

i know when i was on the gold coast, association challenge started at 7 am and there was always a dinner dance on the sunday night, no matter how big the house

they also made each gender bowl their complete set at once, if i remember right it was 8 or 9 games on the saturday, 6 on sunday and the rest on monday

Some very good ideas people. Cant say i am a fan of the easter weekend idea, what i am a fan of is going to a different center each year and seeing different sights. Its part of the attraction of the weekend. Whilst i cant speak on behalf of the bowl owners i would have to imaging some money would be made on such a tournament and not having it held in the country would take a whole lot of cash out of the local ecconomy, not just the bowl. Think of the amount of accomodation and meal expenditure! Country areas need this income, especially in these times, so lets keep the event in the areas that need it please.
Jason Motta

Is this really Jason Motta, sensible ~ realistic and saying something that I can agree with? Surely not;)

Maybe, whoever finishes last place gets dropped and we go back to 10. Then next year 10 place is also dumped. Those wanting to get back in - together with any new Associations such as Nth Geelong or Horsham can play for the final position for the following year. That way we get the "best of the rest" and the newer inexperienced centres get some serious competition and a taste of CCup (i can see many arguments against that idea too but thought i would add it to the list of suggestions!).

So this brings back to the table the thought of two zones as said earlier, more teams in, same weekend, different centres, relegation & promotion?, stronger competition???

Who knows? But I bet your bottom dollar nothing will change.

Rob

PS........ I multi quoted finally:p

Andrew upon speaking with someone on the weekend I asked the same question regarding other centres wishing to join and was informed that Horsham is the only centre interested in fielding a team but are not ready to submit a team for cc or senior shield at this time, they will be however competing at jnr cc.
Warragul and Echuca are not interested at this time.

Melton would be interested :mrgreen:

Is this really Jason Motta, sensible ~ realistic and saying something that I can agree with? Surely not;)
So this brings back to the table the thought of two zones as said earlier, more teams in, same weekend, different centres, relegation & promotion?, stronger competition???
Who knows? But I bet your bottom dollar nothing will change.
Rob
PS........ I multi quoted finally:p

Shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone i do such a good job of hiding my intelligent side:D
I know its been discussed before, but what about bowling games on friday?
Everyone seemss to be there anyway, ive heard about time of work and all that stuff but come on if were serious about the best tournament in the land lets bite the bullet and do it!

If nothing changes it wont be such a bad thing just more time to think up better ways to beat you all!!!:p

gday all why dont u just bowl in a larger centre in melbourne say at easter. this is what we do in sa. adelaide is central 4 every 1. like melb would b 4 u. i'm not sure of ur format (and knowing that u av alot more teams than us). the advantages of a larger centre is that every1 can bowl at once, including jnrs. bowl against all assocaitions 2 - 3 times. we dont regret moving to the city. it certainly beats early mornings/late nites. save money in having the jnrs bowl at the same venue, same weekend.

p.s where can i find the results?

cheers

55 minutes per game was allowed (just like every other year), but every single time a ball was bowled it took about 5 seconds for the sweep to come down - this meant none of the games finished in less than 1 hour. -- losing 5 minutes per game - 16 games per day = 80 minutes - which is about how much over time we were each day. This is where I believe most of the time was lost.

Dont know how 55 minutes were allowed as their machines take about 12 minutes per game, same as EFL. That would make it 1hour to bowl 1 x 5 person team game. Which is what they did.The Country Cup Association executive would have known that,or should before setting schedules etc.
As for lane break downs,these are very un-predictable,:rolleyes: there were a few yet Ross and his staff did a great job keeping everything running smoothly.

:cool:

Strictly speaking the new Sale & District or Sale and Area association is the last to join. The old Sale and the new Sale are two different entities. Sale and Area joined in 2001, Ovens & Murray (Wodonga) in 2000.

You are right there Gary. However I'm not sure how the Sale association or owner of the bowl would feel about being ejected. Not to mention the bowlers. Me personally, I'm just happy to be alive and if I wanted to bowl CC I would then try out for LV.

they also made each gender bowl their complete set at once, if i remember right it was 8 or 9 games on the saturday, 6 on sunday and the rest on monday

I would be in favour of that option. Think how much time you would save as in the case of Sale, it would have cut down 2 X dressing the lanes and also some practise.

Melton would be interested :mrgreen:

There you go. 2 zones and then a final at a later time, similar to Emerson.

This way nobody gets their nose out of whack......

Liz :p

Is Melton a member of the Country Association Adam?

Paige...I dont believe so, just goldpin. If not, how do you become a member?
Only saying so because country cup is something I've always wanted to participate in. If there was a way to do it (apart from joining a league at Ballarat or something :)) I'd jump at it.

I don't agree with having it similar to Emerson. Isn't the point of the tournament to be different to others? It has been a very popular format for how many years now?....... Many. You need to look at the strong points, I'm not going to start naming them.

I would love to say lets dump someone - to make it easier but that's not fair. You can't make anybody merge, unless a centre closes down. Sharing the tournament around the different centres is part of the format and it does create revenue for the centre and the town as Jason pointed out (it's ok Jase I won't mention that you made sense with that comment!! lol) Yes there are centres that are not 'big' enough to hold it and this happens twice every ten years or so. Its all part of the atmosphere to host a country cup.

As much as I enjoyed bowling with the guys at Geelong and Morwell with the dinner dance etc, that is something to look forward to on those particular years. Moving 'Country Cup' to a metro centre really isn't going to be the same. It would save some people some travel at times and create other people with the same travel every year, but would it get mundane travelling to the same centre every year that you never bowl in any other time?

There are many options that are being voiced which is great. But don't forget how 'great' the tournament really is. I'm not saying it's perfect but they do say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If people want to make a difference maybe getting on the local association committee or country association committee is the way to go. Because unfortunately if nothing is ever put forward in a formal manner it will only ever be us bowlers voicing our say on a public forum.

It's good to get the juices flowing, on what is obviously quite a popular topic.

Paige...I dont believe so, just goldpin. If not, how do you become a member?

Not sure how your would go about it but I'm guessing you would have to be country for a start. As big as Geelong is it is still considered a regional city not metropolitian. I'm sure there are metro centres out there who would be very interested in joining, but then it wouldn't be Country Cup.

And with the 'residential' rule being amended again you can't just bowl for anybody. You must bowl for the centre you live closest to.

To be considered "country" you have to be more than a certain distance from Melbourne -- 50 or 60kms - not sure. That is why Melton, Werribee etc are not a part of it - pity but that's how it is.

Shame, perfectly willing centre here who would love to compete...but we are 40km away from the CBD. Guess thems the rules...bye or no :-({|=

Andrew upon speaking with someone on the weekend I asked the same question regarding other centres wishing to join and was informed that Horsham is the only centre interested in fielding a team but are not ready to submit a team for cc or senior shield at this time, they will be however competing at jnr cc.
Warragul and Echuca are not interested at this time.

I am pretty sure that Nth Geelong is and has enquired about it. I know that they can field teams in all of the respective tournaments that will be as competitive as anyone else as such.

Back
Top Bottom