Country Cup Format - Does It Need To Change?

oh and minimum games idea, HELL NO, thats the reason warrnambool never fields its stronger side, just cos of that!!

And this makes sense to you, never fielding your strongest side.:confused:

And no need to yell, these are all just ideas that people are putting up for discussion.

Rob

I like the sound of this Rob, but to me, in regards to the minimum games, not having that restriction, apart from a couple of team changes, is what seperates CC from Emerson. Its what makes Emerson the competition it is. Just my two cents. Lol.

Don't forget that I said "I don't like this idea"

Rob

Regardless as to what happens, another team needs to be let in to fill the bye by next year. 11 teams bowling with a bye when there is no need year after year is absoloutly stupid. There are three or four teams waiting now to join this competition (correct me if I am wrong). Regardless, there are teams hungry to join and they are still continually being made to wait.

you will have to help me out here..who are these three or four teams that are hungry to join.
my opinion there is only Horsham that maybe could be added but then Bob Hinton believes they are not ready to join

I agree with what has been said about letting a 12th team in, having a bye just doesn't make sense when you have other country centres wanting to join in but how would you decide which one to join. As for holding it in Melbourne on neutral lanes has alot going for it but I would like to know how some of the centres feel about the possibility of the long trip to Melbourne each & every year if the Melbourne option was taken (e.g Mildura, Albury & Warrnambool etc). For the centres closer to Melbourne of course this would not be of a great concern.

Just some questions that ran through my head when reading some of the suggestions.

Craig Bramley.

...you will have to help me out here..who are these three or four teams that are hungry to join.
my opinion there is only Horsham that maybe could be added but then Bob Hinton believes they are not ready to join...

As I said, I was under the understanding, so I may have been or are wrong.

To my knowledge there is: Horsham, Rosebud, Nth Geelong and there was another that has escaped me at the minute.

These three need to be approached and asked if they can field a team strong enough to be competitive and let the selected team in.

:rolleyes:
I agree with you Graeme. My suggestion has always been to maybe share Country Cup between Geelong and Morwell only. They in turn do not get the other country tournys, which are then shared between the other centres. Obviously need some fine tuning to make sure all the country centres don't have less income then they would do under the present system.
Liz
Why discriminate against the smaller centres, Why not have CC on small centres held on the Easter Weekend, just as we did a few years back at Colac, I know that was because of only a ten lane Centre, but this also makes sence for the small centres, as there are more small than large centres involved in CC.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

I talked to a few people about different things over the weekend and there was a general census that everybody had the same views - Best tournament easily in Victoria, if not Australia but it is a long three days.
It is not only hard on the bowlers but also bus drivers (drop men off at 7:30 am - pick ladies up at 2:30 am) try and get some sleep in between. Most people have opted to stay the extra night (Monday) as it would be sucidial to drive home after three days - but some people did it.
The main thing that come out of it was everyone loves the format, if we start playing with that I believe we will kill the tournament, everyone wants to bowl together and everyone enjoys the dinner/dance that we get to have when Morwell/Geelong host it.
Looking at short term options Ballarat next year then Albury.
Lets leave next year for a minute and go forward to Albury.
Imagine at Albury we use both Albury Bowl and Twin cities at Wodonga - Men bowl first round at Albury and scond round at Wondoga - Women do reverse - Bowl 8 games day 1 - 3 on the second day - then 5 that afternoon at other bowl and 6 on the last day with presentation at Albury. Finish earlier each day and a dinner/dance could be organised for Saturday night
If we want to continue using Country centres then we could either run it at Morwell and Geelong every alternate year (Will make 2 associations happy) everyone gets to bowl together and we have a dinner dance but the other associations never get to hold it (Maybe Morwell and Geelong dont hold junior CCup and Senior Shield as a trade off).
Alternatively - turn it into a four day tournament - Mos people arive on Friday and go home on Tuesday - We bowl 6 games ( 2 block of 3) Saturday, Sunday and Monday and 4 games on Tuesday ( 2 block of 2) Although it is an extra day it reduces the days length by 4 games and may still enable a dinner/dance to be organised. You also get away at a reasonable time on the Tuesday. This might be the option for Ballarat and for other Associations in years to come
The third option is to tender it out to a metropolation centre - One with enough lanes to enable everyone to bowl together - Whilst this enables everyone to bowl together I believe that it is a country tournament and therefore should remain in the country centres
Interesting Topic - Hopefully some good ideas come out of it as a result. The biggest concern is that as it is a long three days - people involved with the tournament (not just the bowlers, but spectators, supporters and bus drivers) are putting their lives at risk in travelling home from the tournament.
If enough bowlers talk about it something might be done, the only sensible thing would be have it over the Easter Weedend, like we did at Colac, that worked out well.

In my opinion Easter is a bad weekend to hold CC. The competition is weaker due to many bowlers not willing to give up their easter weekend to bowl. As I recall in Colac there were associations who were not able to field both teams due to lack of interest.

The easter weekend every year...... thats a bit unfair for families. Easter is family time and while I at this point in time don't have my own family I personally would not bowl country cup if it was on easter weekend every year. But that's just me!!

As I said, I was under the understanding, so I may have been or are wrong.
To my knowledge there is: Horsham, Rosebud, Nth Geelong and there was another that has escaped me at the minute.
These three need to be approached and asked if they can field a team strong enough to be competitive and let the selected team in.

Andrew upon speaking with someone on the weekend I asked the same question regarding other centres wishing to join and was informed that Horsham is the only centre interested in fielding a team but are not ready to submit a team for cc or senior shield at this time, they will be however competing at jnr cc.

Warragul and Echuca are not interested at this time.

And this makes sense to you, never fielding your strongest side.:confused:
And no need to yell, these are all just ideas that people are putting up for discussion.
Rob

soz rob wasn't having a go at you!!
and why field our strongest side in emmerson when we don't have the numbers to field 7 strong bowlers to all bowl a certain amount of games when centres bigger and in melb could easily side 2 stronger teams! its the numbers game, and that would effect the smaller country centres in country cup as well. i think you would find some centres deliberatley only takin 6 bowlers therefore people would be missing out on the country cup experience!

colac-warrnambool colours hmmmm nah! lol

nth geelong i feel should not be invited considering geelong already has 1 team and that would be giving geelong bowlers a choice of what team they wanna bowl in whereas no other town has that choice!!

bowl in geelong and morwell only, don't think is a good idea, cos everyone knows the hometown advantage thing would come up every year!!

easter weekend - i may be wrong, but isn't junior country cup on then?? and some teams had juniors bowling this year, why cut them out from bowling if they're good enough to make it??

my opinion as u all know i love to give it! lol

Mattie

Mattie,

Junior country cup used to be held over easter school holidays but not on easter weekend. It has been moved to September and will be held in Shepparton on the last weekend in September over three days.

geelong has a population of 120,000

next biggest town i think is bendigo at 50,000

the concept of geelong having 2 teams ain't that silly

Well if geelong is that big, well maybe they shouldn't be in country cup!
That way we would be back to 10 teams and wouldn't have to worry about the bye! lol

i hear the words dying being mentioned

COUNTRY CUP ISN"T DYING

it has floors, namely the BYE

it has years like this one where, a few good players prefer to go fishing instead or refuse to either travel 800km or average 160 - 170

Back
Top Bottom