Country Cup 2008

Been doing a bit of results entry the past few nights and who says the bye was not important!

Final Mens results (with bye bowled)

Shepparton..... 104.5
Sunraysia...... 103
Albury .............89.5
Warrnambool.... 88.5
Geelong ...........88
Ballarat........... 86.5
Colac .............81.5
Latrobe V ........78
Bendigo ...........62
Sale ...............43.5
Ovens & M .......35

Subtract points obtained from games against bye

Sunraysia ......... 95
Shepparton .... 92.5
Albury .............82.5
Geelong ........ 80
Warrnambool.... 78.5
Ballarat........... 76.5
Colac .............72.5
Latrobe V ........69
Bendigo ...........54
Sale ...............37.5
Ovens & M .......32

I know there are many if buts and maybes (eg if Sunraysia had won final game they would also have finished first etc), but interesting that the result may have been reversed just by removing the results for games bowled against the bye. Shep won 12/14 & Sunraysia 8/14 against the bye.
Shep had bye games 5 and 16.
Sunraysia had bye games 8 and 19.

good to know we won more points than everyone else, when we actually played an opponent with a heart beat

good to know we won more points than everyone else, when we actually played an opponent with a heart beat
:rofl:
Seriously though makes it interesting, correct me if im wrong just goin on what i've heard... but is it sometimes not bowled and the points automatically awarded? Or is that just for centres with not enough lanes to accommodate? Should it be made that it isn't bowled at all centres to make it consistent for every year no matter how many lanes? Not bein a sore loser just curious on peoples thoughts. ;)

Seriously though makes it interesting, correct me if im wrong just goin on what i've heard... but is it sometimes not bowled and the points automatically awarded? Or is that just for centres with not enough lanes to accommodate? Should it be made that it isn't bowled at all centres to make it consistent for every year no matter how many lanes? Not bein a sore loser just curious on peoples thoughts. ;)

I agree with you, if you bowl the bye or not keep it consistant. Not change it year to year depending where you bowl. It would keep the maximum points avalible constant every year regardless.

140 points avaliable if not bowling the bye.
154 if bye is bowled
That is per mens or ladies team

Grumpy

Been doing a bit of results entry the past few nights and who says the bye was not important!
Final Mens results (with bye bowled)
Shepparton..... 104.5
Sunraysia...... 103
Albury .............89.5
Warrnambool.... 88.5
Geelong ...........88
Ballarat........... 86.5
Colac .............81.5
Latrobe V ........78
Bendigo ...........62
Sale ...............43.5
Ovens & M .......35
Subtract points obtained from games against bye
Sunraysia ......... 95
Shepparton .... 92.5
Albury .............82.5
Geelong ........ 80
Warrnambool.... 78.5
Ballarat........... 76.5
Colac .............72.5
Latrobe V ........69
Bendigo ...........54
Sale ...............37.5
Ovens & M .......32
I know there are many if buts and maybes (eg if Sunraysia had won final game they would also have finished first etc), but interesting that the result may have been reversed just by removing the results for games bowled against the bye. Shep won 12/14 & Sunraysia 8/14 against the bye.
Shep had bye games 5 and 16.
Sunraysia had bye games 8 and 19.

Looking at the results it was a much closer comp with bowling against the bye.;)
Grumpy

I agree with you, if you bowl the bye or not keep it consistant. Not change it year to year depending where you bowl. It would keep the maximum points avalible constant every year regardless.
140 points avaliable if not bowling the bye.
154 if bye is bowled
That is per mens or ladies team
Grumpy

Yep thats pretty much what i was trying to say but not as well explained as you have :p

In the smaller centres (10 or 12 lanes) we don't have a choice bye cannot be bowled. In the centres with more than 12 lanes, I think it is up to the host association as to whether it is bowled or not (but VCTBA sets score to beat).
2008 Ballarat - bye was bowled
2007 Sale - bye was not bowled - no points given (Sale only 12 lanes)
2006 Bendigo - Bye not bowled - no points given
2005 Geelong - Bye game bowled - automatic 7 points given
It is another one of those things that people seem to be divided on - whether to bowl the bye or not bowl the bye. It can be an minor advantage or minor disadvantage to certain centres either way - depending on the draw.

In the smaller centres (10 or 12 lanes) we don't have a choice bye cannot be bowled. In the centres with more than 12 lanes, I think it is up to the host association as to whether it is bowled or not (but VCTBA sets score to beat).
It is another one of those things that people seem to be divided on - whether to bowl the bye or not bowl the bye. It can be an minor advantage or minor disadvantage to certain centres either way - depending on the draw.
thats a bit silly.. why bother to even bowl it if you are guaranteed the points? its pretty much a practice game :confused:

Its only been the last few years the bye has been bowled hasnt it? Wasnt it the same with emerson shield? werent 7 points automatically award when playing the bye a while ago and was then changed to actually competing against the bye? or am i way off the beaten track.

In the past wasnt it left up to the centre running CCup to determine how the bye was handled (ie bowl/not bowl 0 points/7 points) Wasnt it at last years VCTBA agm determined that if a bye existed (CCup Junior CCup and Senior Shield) that it was to be bowled and a blind score had to be beaten. Therefore setting a common ground from year to year. Centres with only 10 lanes not sure what happens but would think that that is the only time that the bye is not bowled.

Can somebody confirm if this is the case or not??

Actually you are correct Woza, I must confess i had not noticed that had changed.

Revised rules July 2007.

9. BYE

In the event of a bye existing, teams will bowl against vacancy scores for points. A vacancy score of 180 for men and 170 for women will apply. (Therefore the scores to win are 181 for the men and 171 for the women.) Where a bye is not bowled, no points will be awarded.

With 12 teams in a 10 lane center, there was a twelve team lane draw and the teams bowling on the imaginary 11+12 sat out and an extra few rounds were added in to allow these matches to occur.
Anyone remmember Colac with 12 teams? Awsome fun, if you were a lefty!;)

With 12 teams in a 10 lane center, there was a twelve team lane draw and the teams bowling on the imaginary 11+12 sat out and an extra few rounds were added in to allow these matches to occur.
Anyone remmember Colac with 12 teams? Awsome fun, if you were a lefty!;)
I remember it well -- i did the draw! -- talk about a nightmare.
We had to play at Easter though to get all games in.

PS - Colac has always been favourable to lefties - we have five lefties in our top ten averages.

But in the centres with not enough lanes that leaves 2 teams out...
If the centre is not big enough to hold the tournament then don't bowl the tournament there!
It seems stupid to me that eligible centres/associations are being denied the opportunity to bowl because of logistics
Maybe it's time to tender the tournament out in the same way that we do with Nationals.
Graeme

Actually you are correct Woza, I must confess i had not noticed that had changed.
Revised rules July 2007.
9. BYE
In the event of a bye existing, teams will bowl against vacancy scores for points. A vacancy score of 180 for men and 170 for women will apply. (Therefore the scores to win are 181 for the men and 171 for the women.) Where a bye is not bowled, no points will be awarded.
Then thats not so bad....

But i still think it should be the same every year.. eg bowled every year according to this ruling.

Maybe the event needs to be held only at centres with the number of lanes that accommodate everyone.

Back
Top Bottom