Consistancy

Well I have got league tonight and tomorrow, and then on the weekend two tournaments/roll offs so I will try out the theories and see what happens....

Wish me luck - I'll put in a report on Monday.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well I have got league tonight and tomorrow, and then on the weekend two tournaments/roll offs so I will try out the theories and see what happens....

Wish me luck - I'll put in a report on Monday.
icon_biggrin.gif

ohhh, opps...sorry! Your nick doesn't give that away. hehe.

Hmmmm, well, i spose thats a great step...but you didn't tell us which one worked best for you?

Well - report for those interested. (And I am a female by the way Ashes...
icon_confused.gif
)
Sitting 8th in after stage one of roll offs on Saturday, and cashed yesterday. So - although I am not 100% getting there yet I sense an improvement coming on. Seem to be getting a lot more solid pocket shot strikes which is the aim of all bowlers I guess. Onward to bigger and better things.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

ohhh, opps...sorry! Your nick doesn't give that away. hehe.

Hmmmm, well, i spose thats a great step...but you didn't tell us which one worked best for you?

Well - report for those interested. (And I am a female by the way Ashes...
icon_confused.gif
)
Sitting 8th in after stage one of roll offs on Saturday, and cashed yesterday. So - although I am not 100% getting there yet I sense an improvement coming on. Seem to be getting a lot more solid pocket shot strikes which is the aim of all bowlers I guess. Onward to bigger and better things.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Ashes what I tried to do was relax a little but also concentrate more on my push out (or is that pushoff?) to make sure I had a smooth swing and therefore following onto a smooth release. Still wasn't getting it over the correct arrow every single shot but because I had a more consistant action I found that my shot was defintely more solid. Also wasn't leaving as many crappy spare shots. I have to tell you, a single pin leave is a lot more comforting than a crappy 7 or 6 with your first shot..
icon_smile.gif

I notice you have a purple power surge - do you keep it sanded back or is it polished?

Ashes what I tried to do was relax a little but also concentrate more on my push out (or is that pushoff?) to make sure I had a smooth swing and therefore following onto a smooth release. Still wasn't getting it over the correct arrow every single shot but because I had a more consistant action I found that my shot was defintely more solid. Also wasn't leaving as many crappy spare shots. I have to tell you, a single pin leave is a lot more comforting than a crappy 7 or 6 with your first shot..
icon_smile.gif

I notice you have a purple power surge - do you keep it sanded back or is it polished?

I'm not the greatest bowler, but I offer some advice based on what works for me.

Hitting your target and most other problems are caused by one thing: Your mind is stuffed.

When you get up to bowl, what is more important to you, hitting your target or getting the ball to the pocket? I bet you might think hitting your target is, but in your subconcious you want to get the ball into the pocket. If you were using a cricket ball instead of a bowling ball I bet you could get pretty close to the target. You wouldn't be worried about getting to the pocket and would swing nice and straight.

What I do sometimes to help me hit my target is pretend the headpin is just right of the tenpin (in line with my arm and target) so I can swing towards my imaginary pocket without crossing my body. When I get really bad, I bowl through the middle arrow (from about 35 board) so that at the end of my approach, I am on the left of the head pin and I dont cross over my body. Just leave a lot of 5 pins if a weak backend. Then I move back out once my swing is sorted.

If that doesnt work for you or you want something more physical to change, I find these two things help me hit my target better while also giving me more length and stronger backend:

1: Shorten your approach and shorten your backswing. If your backswing is out of control at the top, how are you meant to get to the line consistently? Although you won't have a big swing, you can apply plenty of power without losing control because you should now have strong balance. (Also works with golf for me)

2: Loft the ball just in front of you. It is very hard to loft the ball while swinging across your body. Great for dry lanes when no matter how hard you try you cant get near your target. If all you want to do is hit your target, after lofting a few times you should be able to bowl normally again and hit your target still.

These are things I have discovered work for me but I can't say they will work for everyone. I hope they help someone anyway.

I'm not the greatest bowler, but I offer some advice based on what works for me.

Hitting your target and most other problems are caused by one thing: Your mind is stuffed.

When you get up to bowl, what is more important to you, hitting your target or getting the ball to the pocket? I bet you might think hitting your target is, but in your subconcious you want to get the ball into the pocket. If you were using a cricket ball instead of a bowling ball I bet you could get pretty close to the target. You wouldn't be worried about getting to the pocket and would swing nice and straight.

What I do sometimes to help me hit my target is pretend the headpin is just right of the tenpin (in line with my arm and target) so I can swing towards my imaginary pocket without crossing my body. When I get really bad, I bowl through the middle arrow (from about 35 board) so that at the end of my approach, I am on the left of the head pin and I dont cross over my body. Just leave a lot of 5 pins if a weak backend. Then I move back out once my swing is sorted.

If that doesnt work for you or you want something more physical to change, I find these two things help me hit my target better while also giving me more length and stronger backend:

1: Shorten your approach and shorten your backswing. If your backswing is out of control at the top, how are you meant to get to the line consistently? Although you won't have a big swing, you can apply plenty of power without losing control because you should now have strong balance. (Also works with golf for me)

2: Loft the ball just in front of you. It is very hard to loft the ball while swinging across your body. Great for dry lanes when no matter how hard you try you cant get near your target. If all you want to do is hit your target, after lofting a few times you should be able to bowl normally again and hit your target still.

These are things I have discovered work for me but I can't say they will work for everyone. I hope they help someone anyway.

Finchy, I shall agree with the fact that a 9 is better than a 6 or 7...but which is easier in the long run to hit on a bad day? The 7/ when you leave 2,4,5 combination or the 9/ with a 10 pin? even on a good day sometimes i'd rather the 2, 4, 5! hahaha.

Actually, i don't polish nor sand it, but i'm now trying to find ways of cleaning the oil out...then to find out how much it is to sand her down.

GBS, I told you that i couldn't do that to the lanes, they wouldn't let me! Sorry that i couldn't use that approach, it would of been interesting to see how i was.

well here is my advice, inconsistancy comes from lifting your head, always keep your head locked on your target till you have let the ball well and truely go, also you have to remember to follow right through the shot, what i do to make sure i do it is make a point on my body eg:back of shoulder, ear or what ever that i make my arm come up to and touch after the shot so i know i have followed right through. also try and see if some one can tell you wether your timing is in and wether your hand is consistant all the time with your release. one other thing to remember is to make sure you have good balance and finish square with the pins it is no use trying to do anything until you stop turning (to the right or left which ever hand you bowl with) and bowling underneath yourself.
hope this all helps out in some way cause thats what the problems were with my inconsistancy

Finchy, I shall agree with the fact that a 9 is better than a 6 or 7...but which is easier in the long run to hit on a bad day? The 7/ when you leave 2,4,5 combination or the 9/ with a 10 pin? even on a good day sometimes i'd rather the 2, 4, 5! hahaha.

Actually, i don't polish nor sand it, but i'm now trying to find ways of cleaning the oil out...then to find out how much it is to sand her down.

GBS, I told you that i couldn't do that to the lanes, they wouldn't let me! Sorry that i couldn't use that approach, it would of been interesting to see how i was.

well here is my advice, inconsistancy comes from lifting your head, always keep your head locked on your target till you have let the ball well and truely go, also you have to remember to follow right through the shot, what i do to make sure i do it is make a point on my body eg:back of shoulder, ear or what ever that i make my arm come up to and touch after the shot so i know i have followed right through. also try and see if some one can tell you wether your timing is in and wether your hand is consistant all the time with your release. one other thing to remember is to make sure you have good balance and finish square with the pins it is no use trying to do anything until you stop turning (to the right or left which ever hand you bowl with) and bowling underneath yourself.
hope this all helps out in some way cause thats what the problems were with my inconsistancy

I just bowled at Mt Druitt for intercentre and I must say that I love those lanes.

And with that, i noticed that i barely missed the mark that I wanted to hit in teh 5 games bowled. Whether or not it was the right mark, is another thing. I ended up finding my pocket mark and flew into some high games. I would just put it down to having a good day with your mind completely on teh job. Being totally awake and comfortable is a must. Concentration is obvious and And my make was 5 boards out then usual....thats why i loved the lanes, I'd throw it out and it would have a perfect arc comin back into teh pocket....now i wish i lived near mt druitt...not to say that the Castle hill lans are bad, but i like the older lanes....i can't produce that good of turn and arc on the castle hill lanes.

But anyways, all i'm sayin is that your mind has to be on it and you have to practice alot to be consistant.

Just a quick update. Bowled league on the new HPLs at Sunshine last Wednesday night and threw my highest game ever, 257. Then, in the third game I shot 265 with a 7-9 split in the sixth frame
icon_sad.gif
it was a bit dismal.

Anyway - it's getting better all the time and hopefully next time will be three nice 200 games instead of just two.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom