how and why do you practice?

L

liquor box

I was wondering if you practice for your bowling or not, if you do, how do you do it?

I bowl one night a week in a four game league and then try to get in three practice games a week.

When i practice my aim is to release the ball consistantly and to hit my target (second arrow). If I do this a lot I am happy.

I am not concerned with my practice scores because i am practicing my action, not my scoring. I think scores will always come if you feel you are releasing the ball well.

What do you try to achieve at practice?

Have just started getting one on one coaching as I felt I reached my limit being self taught. Now also practicing on my own once or twice a week for an hour at a time trying to put into effect what I have been taught at the coaching session (once a week) Motivation at the moment is high and my coach has made numerous small adjustments from the way I hold the ball, release the ball, bend the knees, follow through........etc etc etc. At least I faced the right way when I bowled (I got that bit right). Everything else has had minor changes made and the effects (on the odd occasions I get things right) are amazing me. Maybe I can bowl consistent higher scores after all. It is this feeling that is driving me at the moment to practice these changes to get the consistency so that the technique becomes automatic.

When I practice I pretty much just bowl, because to me it's all about rhythm with the style I have. Things like sparing and being able to consistantly hit my target come from how tuned up my technique is, and the best way for me to be at 100% in that area is to just bowl and have fun with it.

I think once you have the fundamentals of the game set into your technique, that's all you need to do. If you don't have those fundamentals yet, then perhaps you need to work on that with a coach.

Everybody's different though - some people seem to need to do specific things regularly to keep up with it.. others don't..

"Practice" one thing and the rest you do is about improving or maintaining good, repeatable rhythm.

For example, the other day I was practising keeping my hand straighter in the ball. That was the focus and the rest of the shot was about doing it easy. I got that one thing down pat fairly quickly and the accuracy did not suffer too badly. (We knew when we missed that morning, as we had laid a deliberate reverse block on synthetics. If you missed, you missed big!)

when im not being coached by ms munson and bowling my three league games i have six to nine practice games focusing on my timing for example my even steps during my approach

In practise l try and close every frame.

I practise as many times a week - only if my bank card lets me!

Back
Top Bottom