Any interest for a sports series in Vic?

Sports, PBA, Mix or None?

• Total voters
Hey Guys,

We started the Sport Series some 4-5 years ago in QLD…Its been great and its not about winning Money…It’s about testing your skills…Sure the QLD Circuit has some small Sponsors for the end of the season Tally points but these are not to hard to get because it’s only a small input…

We charge a Joining fee of $25.00 hence there is some money there to use for the event…

$75.00 for 8 games on Qualifying and regardless of numbers we cut to the top 15 for 7 games of 3 man match play…Event is a one day event and if making the cut you get 15 Games on a Sports pattern for your money and you cash…Not to mention we have more fun in that, then we do most National Majors across the country…

Ask anyone who bowls it in Qld Terry Wenban rates this as the Sunday he most looks forward to every time it’s on…You don’t need to be a Champion to be competitive in these events…YOU NEED TO MAKE SPARES…We have had a lot of “FRINGE” bowlers if that’s what you want to call them make the cut/top 15 and get a taste of match play…They love it and sometimes the first to have there name down for the next event…

Cow has set one up in NSW and proving to be successful so far and this is great because he is getting the bowlers support also…If Tonx can get this off the ground in Victoria this can only lead to bigger at better things for the sport…Who knows this could lead into some kind of East Coast or National Sport Series Circuit…

Tonx I really don’t think you need to go to a Handicap event…Like I said we have all walks of life and ability make the top 15…Yes Carl has won most of our events but that’s just unfortunate/fortunate which ever way you look at it that we have him in QLD…Over the last two years we have had a few different winners for each event and Carl is working harder for his wins now…For us its just a chance on that Sunday to see where our Game is at and what we need to work on…It’s a great day out and can say it would be good for Victoria get an event like it…

That sounds like a good format Jase... I would join and bowl if it was started in Victoria.

However, I am going to play the "devil's advocate" for a moment...

I remember in the last couple of years, Patrick Birtig "attempted" to start the Grand Prix Series in Victoria. The first tournament was good, but then the series didn't last much longer because of lack of entries. So my question to anyone is... what makes you think that this tournament series will be more successful than previously attempted tournament series? Or perhaps more to the point, how can we make it successful?

If we can iron out some details, I would be willing to help out in getting this off the ground. However, from experience running sport bowling clinics and tournaments, I am a bit sceptical about all the support these tournaments get on the totalbowling website and then after the novelty of the tournaments dies down (or perhaps it is the reality of how good the bowler is and establishing their TRUE average), no one shows up for the subsequent tournaments.

So I am in full support of this idea and I am willing to help develop this series and promote it anywhere, however, how can we get it off the ground and KEEP IN RUNNING??

Dr. Chris
Sport Bowling League Coordinator (Mentone Bowl, Monday nights)

Considering I have raised almost $5000 worth of sponsorship for our series already, I'd say there should be some good interest from purely good value. These events will run at a similar cost to the other successful ones around, and as such, won't cost an arm and a leg to compete and improve your game!

The problem with the attempt at the last Vic Setup, was it was the same old thing. As you know Chris, bowling on a Sports shot gives more satisfaction for positive results than bowling on the normal Wall shot. IMO, Bowling on a THS is like going to a brothel, Its easy to score, but it aint gunna be as fun as achieving a true victory ;)

Stay tuned to this thread for more info guys, I'm working for a pilot event sometime soon!

Cheers!

p.s.- If there is any Victorian Business holders that are interested in low cost, high broadcast exposure, feel free to give me a call on 0433260730 and have a chat. I've got some plans for this sports series that will give potential sponsors much larger exposure than the normal everyday tournament offers!

Had a chat to a couple of potential sponsors this morning. All is looking really good to get this pilot event off the ground.

It will run on the First of July at the state of the art centre, OZtenpin Epping, There will be a scratch and handicap section with low entry fee, and really solid payout!

Stay tuned for entry form release once I have finalised sponsorships for the mega pilot event!

Sounds good.
It will be interesting to see which of the "elite" victorian bowlers will be willing to put their money where there mouth is.
Put me down as a starter.

Back
Top Bottom