Alley owner thrown out by landlord

gonzo69

what a shame that i just heard that ipswitch bowl is closing down ie still reeling from the shock of being flooded,
bowling alley owner Dean Margiolas now says
he has been thrown out by his landlord.
Mr Margiolas, who owns Ipswich Tenpin at
Bundamba, said his landlord terminated his
lease and gave him until March 14 to leave.
It has been a double blow for the former
tradesman who came to Australia from Chicago
in 2000 and bought Ipswich Tenpin in 2001.
“I wanted something different. I thought it
might be good,” Mr Margiolas said. “It was
difficult at the start because I didn’t know what
I was doing. But we got busier and busier and
we would have been getting at least 2500
people bowling here a week.”
“It’s been here since 1981 so that’s 30 years.”
He said the previous owner had told him the
building was above the 1974 flood level, so he
had assumed it wouldn’t flood in January.
“Where I live at Bellbowrie I couldn’t get out
and get here until the Saturday but I thought
I’d be all right here,” he said.
“That’s until my staff got here and told me what
it was like. It went about 1.2 metres into the building. It ruined everything.
“I have to say we had a lot of help from volunteers. That was quite overwhelming
“We didn’t hear anything from the landlord until last Wednesday. Then he said he wants us out
by the 14th. I’ve heard he wants to develop the land, but he doesn’t tell me anything. I got a call
saying, ‘You’re out’. That’s it.
“The lease says if the business gets interrupted by a natural disaster he can terminate the lease
without prejudice.”
Now Mr Margiolas has to move while trying to find a new venue.
“It’s not like a fish and chip shop where you can just pick things up and move out. Each machine
weighs 800 kilos,” he said.
“I’ve been on to the council and they said they would try to help me find a new location.
“If I can’t find one I’ll have to sell everything off and that will be the end of it. You need a very
long uninterrupted span because you can’t have beams between the lanes. We’d like to stay in
Ipswich. The nearest bowl is Richlands.”
Head machine technician Jason Podlich has been at Ipswich Tenpin for 20 years.
“I’m helping Dean get the machines out and then I’ll have to try to find a job and wait to see if
we re-open,” Mr Podlich said.

That's gotta suck big time.

I hope for Deans sake and all those Ipswich bowlers that he can relocate (under more favourable lease agreement) and get his business back up and running.

Good luck with that endeavour

What an A......hole the land lord must be to kick some one in the guts when they are already down. To Dino, Alice and all the staff of Ipswich Bowl, Keep your chin up and lets hope there can be a new Ipswich Bowl. This town needs it. Tracey

Just out of interest are there any bowling alleys in Aus that are located above ground floor level apart from those at Mt Gambier and Surfers Paradise?

Just out of interest are there any bowling alleys in Aus that are located above ground floor level apart from those at Mt Gambier and Surfers Paradise?

Coffs Harbour, Loganholme, Forest Hill to name just 3 but sure there are more.

FWIW Ipswich Superbowl was above ground level, you had to go up a rather steep ramp to get to the bowl level, so it puts in perspective how high the flood level was.

In NSW, Blacktown, Lidcombe, Manhattan Superbowl, Liverpool Bowl and Macarthur Bowl are all above ground floor, many of which are in Shopping Centres.

Coffs Harbour, Loganholme, Forest Hill to name just 3 but sure there are more.

FWIW Ipswich Superbowl was above ground level, you had to go up a rather steep ramp to get to the bowl level, so it puts in perspective how high the flood level was.

by my recollection (been a while since I had been there) the floor of the bowl was/is higher than the roof of the skating rink next to it.

Twas a terrible flood indeed!

Hoping Dino and co find another spot as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you mate!

It was ****house to hear this deano as my work was affected aswell by the ipswich floods but i have heard rumors of 3 more possibiltys of a new centre fingers crossed for deano

That really sucks. Maybe an appplication should be made for a cultural heritage order to be placed on the building. 30 years is a long time.

Back
Top Bottom