THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, Has Died

I cannot believe how good old Eddie let this air on channel 9 last night.

THE Premier of Queensland Peter Beattie has blasted radical feminist Germaine Greer, saying she has put her 'ego' and need for publicity before the grieving Irwin family.

In a stinging attack on Ms Greer, Mr Beattie branded her criticism of Steve Irwin as 'extreme radical rubbish', and urged her to 'back off' and keep her 'stupid' comments on Irwin to herself.

Ms Greer last night told the Nine Network that the Crocodile Hunter, who died on Monday when a stingray barb pierced his chest while he was snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef, had embarrassed millions of Australians with his cruelty towards animals.

The comments came as she defended a column she wrote for The Guardian newspaper in Britain in which she said the animal world had taken revenge on "self-deluded animal tormentor Steve Irwin".

Mr Beattie today told Channel Nine it was unbelievable Greer had so publicly put her own ego first while the family of Mr Irwin struggled to cope with their loss.

"Germain Greer is just wrong and I just can't imagine anyone being more insensitive and, frankly, stupid," he said.

"This argument is just extreme radical rubbish from Germain Greer and it couldn't come at a more insensitive time.

"Any suggestion that he (Mr Irwin) mistreated animals is just rubbish... he educated a generation."

Greer herself has been the target of cries of exploitation.

In 2003 she used a shirless photo of a 15-year-old boy as the cover for a controversial book without asking for his permission. The photo had been taken on a film set.

Yesterday Opposition foreign affairs spokesman and Brisbane MP Kevin Rudd said Greer should keep her thoughts about Irwin's death to herself.

"I think Germaine Greer should just stick a sock in it," he said.

"You have got a grieving mother, you have got a couple of grieving young kids and a grieving nation, and what do you get from Germaine Greer? You get a bucketload of politically correct pap – it's just nonsense.

"Steve Irwin was a nature conservationist, an animal conservationist and made a huge contribution to the preservation of wildlife worldwide.

"And what do we get from Germaine Greer? Some gratuitous, politically correct claptrap."

Those on the boat with Irwin say he had not been harassing the stingray when it lashed out at him.
But The Guardian quoted Greer as saying: "As a Melbourne boy, Irwin should have had a healthy respect for stingrays, which are actually commoner and bigger in southern waters than they are near Port Douglas."

She described Irwin's behaviour as "bizarre", noting the famed incident when he held his baby son while feeding a crocodile at Australia Zoo.

"The whole spectacle was revolting," Greer said. "The crocodile would rather have been anywhere else and the chicken had a grim life too, but that's entertainment at Australia Zoo.

"The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo owners in their turn."

For those that didnt see the interview, her were some of her views....

Greer continues Irwin attack

Steve Irwin had embarrassed millions of Australians, outspoken expatriate Australian academic Germaine Greer has said.
And those who had mourned him with their tributes at the Irwin family's Australia Zoo in what the British had labelled "a Princess Diana moment" were "idiots", she said.
Mr Irwin, 44, died on Monday when he was stabbed in the chest by a stingray barb while snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef in far north Queensland.
British-based Ms Greer wrote in The Guardian newspaper on Tuesday, following Mr Irwin's sudden death that the animal world had taken revenge on "self-deluded animal tormentor Steve Irwin".
On Wednesday, she went a step further.
She told A Current Affair in an interview with presenter Karl Stefanovic she did not understand Australians' sense of loss for Mr Irwin, who had exploited animals by telling the world how dangerous they were and then treating them with disrespect.
I find the whole Steve Irwin phenomenon (embarrassing) — and I'm not the only person who did," Ms Greer said.
But when pushed, she was unable to name anyone who had publicly agreed with her.
Ms Greer said she was tired of being told Australia was full of "wicked, nasty, powerful, deadly creatures".
"Why does Australia set itself up to be made into this hell-hole," she said.
"I'm sick and tired of it — it's absolutely unfair."
She also rejected claims her sentiments were "unAustralian".
"I don't care what I'm being called," Ms Greer said.
"I just hope I'm out of touch with what idiots are thinking."
Asked if Australians were idiots, she said: "I don't believe Australians are as dim or as easily led as you may perceive."
"As far as I can see, quite a few Australians have been embarrassed by Steve Irwin — lots — millions possibly," she said.
"Why are the English calling it 'Australia's Princess Diana moment'.
"Aren't you embarrassed about that, at least?"
Ms Greer said Mr Irwin had not treated animals with the respect they deserved.
"He would tell you how dangerous they were and he would proceed to intrude on their space and humiliate really - treat them with massive insensitivity," she said.
"It's no surprise he came to grief."
Ms Greer said the stingray's reaction in flicking its barb upwards had been "completely mechanical".
She likened Mr Irwin to a lion tamer.
"He was making entertainment out of animals, except he used crocodiles instead of lions."
Ms Greer said she hoped the death of Mr Irwin would be the end of "that kind" of nature program.

Unusual comment from Mz Greer, considering she has been chasing beaver for so long.

What in inconsiderate cow.

Rob

For those that didnt see the interview, her were some of her views....
Greer continues Irwin attack
Steve Irwin had embarrassed millions of Australians, outspoken expatriate Australian academic Germaine Greer has said.
And those who had mourned him with their tributes at the Irwin family's Australia Zoo in what the British had labelled "a Princess Diana moment" were "idiots", she said.
Mr Irwin, 44, died on Monday when he was stabbed in the chest by a stingray barb while snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef in far north Queensland.
British-based Ms Greer wrote in The Guardian newspaper on Tuesday, following Mr Irwin's sudden death that the animal world had taken revenge on "self-deluded animal tormentor Steve Irwin".
On Wednesday, she went a step further.
She told A Current Affair in an interview with presenter Karl Stefanovic she did not understand Australians' sense of loss for Mr Irwin, who had exploited animals by telling the world how dangerous they were and then treating them with disrespect.
I find the whole Steve Irwin phenomenon (embarrassing) — and I'm not the only person who did," Ms Greer said.
But when pushed, she was unable to name anyone who had publicly agreed with her.
Ms Greer said she was tired of being told Australia was full of "wicked, nasty, powerful, deadly creatures".
"Why does Australia set itself up to be made into this hell-hole," she said.
"I'm sick and tired of it — it's absolutely unfair."
She also rejected claims her sentiments were "unAustralian".
"I don't care what I'm being called," Ms Greer said.
"I just hope I'm out of touch with what idiots are thinking."
Asked if Australians were idiots, she said: "I don't believe Australians are as dim or as easily led as you may perceive."
"As far as I can see, quite a few Australians have been embarrassed by Steve Irwin — lots — millions possibly," she said.
"Why are the English calling it 'Australia's Princess Diana moment'.
"Aren't you embarrassed about that, at least?"
Ms Greer said Mr Irwin had not treated animals with the respect they deserved.
"He would tell you how dangerous they were and he would proceed to intrude on their space and humiliate really - treat them with massive insensitivity," she said.
"It's no surprise he came to grief."
Ms Greer said the stingray's reaction in flicking its barb upwards had been "completely mechanical".
She likened Mr Irwin to a lion tamer.
"He was making entertainment out of animals, except he used crocodiles instead of lions."
Ms Greer said she hoped the death of Mr Irwin would be the end of "that kind" of nature program.
what a heartless bitch

Im sure she has embarrassed many more australians with her callousness and lack of sympathy.

Hairy armpitted feminazi.

It is absolutely appalling and disgraceful to see someone act so completely heartless and callous towards another person. Steve Irwin’s death was very tragic and sudden and has affected a great deal of people both young and old in various ways.

People need to process this event and grieve in the manor that allows them to deal with their loss. Our (almost 7 year old) daughter came to us on Tuesday night with a tear in her eye saying “Mummy and Daddy, I miss Steve” and then with her voice quivering and tears flooding her eyes she simply said “He was my friend” and then she broke her little heart. She was so distraught and troubled by this that she asked to sleep in our bed as she didn’t think she could sleep alone. The next day she came home from school and said all her friends were talking about Steve and she wanted to cry again. We have seen and heard grown men crying on the T.V. and on the radio. The outpouring of campassion and sympathy shown begs the question has Steve Irwin really embarrassed his fellow Australian’s???

Not likely from the reaction of people not only here in Australia but all around the world. Germaine Greer needs to get off her soap box and she should make a formal apology to the family, friends, colleagues and fans of Steve Irwin.
No matter how you feel about someone you have no right to defame them or force your opinions of that person onto other people.
As the old saying goes
“If you haven’t got anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all”
We’d all do well to abide by this rule in our day to day lives.

No matter how you feel about someone you have no right to defame them or force your opinions of that person onto other people. As the old saying goes

Amen to that.....;)

All I can say is Steve was s true Aussie and he had a major impact on thousands of lives. He will live on in our hearts as someone who loved animals and who loved his family with every bit of his heart. He taught us Children and Adults so much and gave everything he could to make people happy and the wildlife a better place.

I send my love to Terri, Bindi and Bob. As this mst be one of the biggest hurdles they will ever have to cross in life. May Steve's legend live on forever in us and our hearts.

R.I.P Steve

Originally Posted by The Reggae
No matter how you feel about someone you have no right to defame them or force your opinions of that person onto other people. As the old saying goes

Ms Greer should learn to keep her mouth shut at appropriate moments. This is neither the time nor the place for her mindless twisted drivel.

Let the Irwin family and the millions of people who loved him, respected him and adored him grieve and mourn in their own way and show some respect towards his family and friends in this difficult time they are going through.

There I feel better now. Been itching to say something since the interview on ACA last night.

Jo

We know how you feel Jo...

We wanted to say some very nasty, spiteful things also but honestly she is dragging herself down by the way she is carrying on.

People can see she's a mindless twit, we don't need to belittle ourselves to make people see that. She's doing that for us!!!

I don’t believe in her comments one bit, lets see her take a trip here and see how long she lasts trying to hold her head high in our country for what she has said about someone I am sure we all regarded as a very true blue Australian, who really put Queensland and Australia on the map, to all the people overseas.

As for this comment, by you The Reggae

That’s a fair comment but if you are going to say that don’t contradict what you have just posted by then posting this:

“She’s a mindless twit”

She may be a mindless twit but practice what you preach.

Molly.

If you find such comments made on A Current Affair offensive I recommend changing channels, as stories like that which was shown last night was to conform to the lowest common denominator and play on peoples feeling's of grief over Steve Irwin's death. Current Affair programes are little more than this kind of entertainment and I always recommend people not to watch them. Channel Nine knew what it was putting to air and was just trying to envoke controversy.

Germaine who? :rolleyes:
She hasn't even been relevant since 1972.

Clinging to the death of an Australian icon like the sneering, bitter old hag that she is to hopefully get her tired, outdated bullsh*t message out there in the vein hope than somebody might rekindle her man-hating 'cause'.

Would be fitting if she was wiped out by a giant concrete penis falling from the sky.

It's all so sad really. Australia loses a lovable boofhead and Germaine does something far more boofheaded than Steve Erwin would ever have done.

Germaine Greer was and is one of our great intellectuals. I have tremendous respect for her. This is why I am am so gobsmacked at the lack of basic human decency in the timing of her article. She has let the opportunity to score points cloud her sensibilities and will in time, come to regret doing this at this point.

WE JUST RECEIVED THIS VIA EMAIL

THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING

Endless visions fill my head – this man – as large as life
And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife
Because the way I see Steve Irwin – just put everything aside
It comes back to his family – it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive – Crikey – light the place with love!
Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above
The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch
Living out his dream and in that classic ‘Stevo’ crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek
It’s one thing to be honoured as a champion unique
It’s one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved
It’s another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right – I guess he always knew
From his fathers’ modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo
We cringed at times and shook our heads – but true to natures call
There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it – the more he had it right
If you’re going to make a difference – make it big and make it bright!
Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!
But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it’s hard to comprehend
I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end
To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration
May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

…My daughter broke the news to me – my six year old in tears
It was like she’d just turned old enough to show her honest fears
I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
His little girl explained it best…she said “The crocodiles are crying”

Their best mate’s up in heaven now – the crocs up there are smiling!
And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling
As sure as we’ll continue with the trademarks of his spiel
Of all the tributes worthy – he was rough…but he was real

As sure as ‘Crikey!’ fills the sky
I think we’ll miss ya Steve…goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006

WE JUST RECEIVED THIS VIA EMAIL
THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING
Endless visions fill my head – this man – as large as life
And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife
Because the way I see Steve Irwin – just put everything aside
It comes back to his family – it comes back to his pride
His animals inclusive – Crikey – light the place with love!
Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above
The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch
Living out his dream and in that classic ‘Stevo’ crouch
Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek
It’s one thing to be honoured as a champion unique
It’s one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved
It’s another to be taken in and genuinely loved
But that was where he had it right – I guess he always knew
From his fathers’ modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo
We cringed at times and shook our heads – but true to natures call
There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all
Yes the more I care to think of it – the more he had it right
If you’re going to make a difference – make it big and make it bright!
Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!
But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst
A world so large and loyal that it’s hard to comprehend
I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end
To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration
May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation
…My daughter broke the news to me – my six year old in tears
It was like she’d just turned old enough to show her honest fears
I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
His little girl explained it best…she said “The crocodiles are crying”
Their best mate’s up in heaven now – the crocs up there are smiling!
And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling
As sure as we’ll continue with the trademarks of his spiel
Of all the tributes worthy – he was rough…but he was real
As sure as ‘Crikey!’ fills the sky
I think we’ll miss ya Steve…goodbye
RUPERT McCALL 2006
that's beautiful

what a heartless bitch
Im sure she has embarrassed many more australians with her callousness and lack of sympathy.
Hairy armpitted feminazi.

I'm with u on that one! Actually, I've never understood what her problem is with the world so this one just adds to the confusion :confused: :confused: :confused:

In my opinion, if you have anything to say about a person, say it while they are around to defend themselves, otherwise let the comments rest :mad: .

Back
Top Bottom