THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, Has Died

Jase

Admin
Staff member
THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It appeared that he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest, Queensland Police Inspector Russell Rhodes said.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occurred.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Mr Irwin was killed just after 11am, Eastern Australian time.

It is understood he was killed instantly.

A source said Mr Irwin was already dead when his body was brought onto the Isle.

A source said Mr Irwin's body was being airlifted to Cairns Hospital in North Queensland for formal identification.

An Emergency Services Response Management spokeswoman said they received a call about the tragedy at 11.11 am, Australian Eastern Standard Time.

The response unit left in a helicopter for the Batt Reef at 11.18am and arrived shortly after.

Mr Irwin was pronounced dead at the scene immediately, the spokeswoman said.

Steve Irwin's activities went far beyond his universally-known roles as an international TV star and owner of Australia Zoo, north of Brisbane.

They includes assisting Australian Quarantine Inspection service with advertising campaigns warning travellers not to bring foreign matter into the country, and he was becoming a vocal critic of the slaughter of Australian wildlife.

The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealty tourists in the Northern Territority after Irwin intervened, taking Environment Minister Ian Campbell on a tour of croc infested Cape York.

At the time, Irwin told Australian TV program A Current Affair that: ``Killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me.''

The Prime Minister John Howard considered Irwin a friend, inviting him to a barbecue at The Lodge for US President George W. Bush in 2003.

Photo and Story thanks to the Courier Mail

Attachments

• Steve.jpg
    Steve.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 24
Oh my godness, had to read that 3 times to let it sink in....

That is absolutely TRAGIC he will be sadly missed by not only his family but his legion of fans. What a sad, sad waste of life a truely spirited and giving man.

Our thoughts are with his wife and children

This comes out of no where. Completely out of left field. If someone finds out more, could they post it ASAP

if you check out www.ninemsn.com.au there is a story, but not much more than what Jase has already posted.

Another site says his wife (Terri) is hiking and is not contactable and is yet to be told of his death

TRAGIC

This is such a sad loss to Australia. From a person who has meet and seen him this is a very sad time for his family. I know a lot of people were knockers of the way he acts. (I myself were one untill I meet him) But you could not find a more passionate man about family friends and Australia. On behalf of myself and my family let us say:-
"YOU BLOODY BEAUTY WHAT A LITTLE RIPPA"
May the GODS make a place at there table for you MATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute tragedy...

On Sky News on the TV just now it says that his wife was hiking at Cradle Mountain in Tassie, but the family has now been informed. :(

wow................ killed by a sting ray... i woulda thought he woulda been eaten by a croc before a sting ray. true tragedy. I cant believe he's gone.

This is a very sad loss of an Australian Legend:(

However he did a very dangerous job and he knew the risks involved.
He also died doing what he loved the most.

Frosty:rolleyes:

I can't believe it, I read it twice and I still find it hard to believe. This is very, very tragic news. Thoughts go out to his wife, children & family.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin

This information was just updated on www.ninemsn.com.au

This tragedy really makes you thank God for what you've got!!!!

Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin is dead after being attacked by a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef during the filming of a new TV series.

The 44-year-old's heart is believed to have been pierced by the stingray barb.

He was filming an underwater documentary at Batt Reef near the Low Isles about 32 nautical miles off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

According to a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman, a Cairns ambulance chopper made an emergency flight to an island in the area just after 11am today.

An intensive care doctor and a paramedic attempted to treat the popular crocodile wrangler – who had a puncture wound in the left side of his chest - without success.

He was pronounced dead on the island, and his body is now being flown to Cairns.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Irwin and his wife Terri have two children: a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin, three.

A tragedy indeed. he will be missed. A true Aussie Hero. My son will be upset, he loves the crocadile man, Our thoughts with his family

Hammer said:
My son will be upset, he loves the crocadile man

As will Shontay and Khynan who scream out "CRIKEY STEVE" whenever they see a sign, poster, pamphlet or any advertising relating to Steve. We cannot imagine how devistating this would be for his employees at Australia Zoo also.

Madeleine is absolutely devastated. She loves her "STEVE THE CROCODILE HUNTER". God bless to his family.

Back
Top Bottom