A new way to fleece us????

bm2

I'm still standin'
Went to league last night with the wallet empty (as usual!), with the plan to use the EFTPOS facilities at the bowl to withdraw the necessary funds for bowling and dinner (yes, we eat at the bowl b4 league!!). Though I usually ensure that I have sufficient cash on my person most nights before league, there have been a few occasions when I have had to use the eftpos instead.

Last night, however, there was a little sign conveniently placed on the front counter, advising that there was now a 50c charge for eftpos withdrawals, and that the maximum withdrawal was $50 - not real good when it costs $60 for both of us to bowl. :( Needless to say, we (or rather, Jagga!) had to go and find an atm to make the transaction.

I was just curious if other bowlers had found their centres now charging them for the right to make eftpos withdrawals, and what they thought of it? I know that 50c isn't a lot of money in the scheme of things (hell, it doesn't even buy half a litre of petrol anymore!), but I don't think that we should have to pay when we are only withdrawing money to give back to the centre (by way of lineage and cafe) in the first place...it's not like I am taking out my weekly grocery money as well, just sufficient funds for the night at the bowl.

Broni Morgan

Broni, I suggest if you encountered a problem last night with this that you have a talk to the Manager (George). I do not know who was on at the time, however what I can say, is that if I were on, I would have allowed the transaction to take place. At worst, I would have run it up as two transactions and chaged $1, but not sent you away to find an ATM which the centre doesn't have. As I am sure you can understand, I am not in a position to comment further, rather to suggest what I would have done in that situation, and to give my honest opinion as a bowler.

I would also check with George on the fee for obtaining cash for league to give back to the centre. I agree with you that it seems a little out of character to charge a fee for money being invested directly into the centre. For other purposes yes I can understand.. Have a talk to him is all I can suggest.

*Disclaimer*
This is my personal view and opinion, not that of the bowl, or a representation of their practices. I understand why the fee is in place, I'm just trying to offer my opinion for the sake of bowling.

Hi Broni,

I noticed this also when I took Shontay & Khynan to league last Saturday. However I am sure that it said "SOCIAL BOWLERS ONLY" I had no problem getting out enough money to pay for league & morning tea (over $50) and I was most certainly NOT charged a fee.

For that matter I have seen bowlers on numerous occassion withdraw money to cover bowling fees, canteen purchases & other bowling related purchases

All I can suggest and as per what Tim has already touched on, is to take it up with George if you are unhappy. They don't know there is a problem if no one tells them & if they don't know they can't fix it

The financial insitutions charge the bowling centre a fee for having EFTPOS available, most centres absorb this fee if they know that the money being withdrawn, will be spent in their facility.

Certainly a strange decision to charge a fee on the circumstances described...............just another indicator of the finacial dilemma being faced by bowling centres worldwide.

Tiger, your disclaimer does not hide the fact that you are prepared to disobey company policy and act on your opinions regarding the matter.
Regardless how right or wrong you think company policy is.................you shouldn't wilfully disobey it, if your prepared to make allowances on this transaction, what other transactions will you decide need to be modified to suit the circumstances that you deem are not proper?

Remember............the beginning of a habit is like an invisible thread, but every time we repeat the act we strengthen the strand, add to it another filament, until it becomes a great cable and binds us irrevocably, thought and act!!

Neville

Tiger is disobeying Company policy?
Thats a big assumption to make based on his response.
How on earth would you know what discretionary powers he has?

Andrew S. said:
Tiger is disobeying Company policy?
Thats a big assumption to make based on his response.
How on earth would you know what discretionary powers he has?

He wouldn't of had to, as I certainly wouldn't be paying $1 to make the withdrawal, much less have 2 transactions.

This hasn't been a problem before now, but it won't be in future, either. My money will be in my purse before I go to ANY bowl from now on !

I think the bowl should remember what EFTPOS is for. It is a way to encourage people to use your service. Why does nearly every shop in Australia offer EFTPOS? Its because if they only accepted cash, people would go elsewhere. Same goes with the bowl.

And to Neville: If I go to a center and get someone who refuses to do what is morally right, I get a bad opinion about that center. There are some centers over here that I just wont go to because of bad customer service.
If I was a social bowler, I would just go do something else.

Andrew, You are correct, I did indeed make some assumptions based on the information from Tiger's post to form an opinion. But don't we all make assumptions every day? How do you know that I am not an employee of the centre? or I'm not in a posistion to know exactly what is company policy at this centre? Are you not also making an assumption?

When someone posts about bowling a high game, I assume they bowled the ball with a conventional approach, they have a finger tip grip, they have 1 thumb and 2 finger holes, etc, etc..................is it wrong to make these assumptions?

I never made the assumption that he may have discretionary powers at the centre, and you maybe right, we will need Tiger himself to clear that up, however, Tiger did say that he is not in a posistion to comment, again I made the assumption that he does not have the authority to pick and choose who he charges the fee and who he doesn't.

I by no means intended the post to be deorgatory towards Tiger at all, I didn't insult or attack him personally in any way shape or form, I based my post on the information in Tiger's post and made some understandable assumptions based on the information.

He did say, and I quote "I understand why the fee is in place" and I quote further "Have a talk to him is all I can suggest" and "to give my honest opinion as a bowler.
Does this sound like a staff member who has discretionary powers? I assumed it wasn't.

How many business hang a sign over their front counter stating that are charging a fee for a service, then allow the staff to make a discretionary call on who does and who doesn't pay. Some do, but I would think that these companies would be in the minority rather than the majority.......don't you?

Neville

Easy Tiger said:
Broni, I suggest if you encountered a problem last night with this that you have a talk to the Manager (George). I do not know who was on at the time, however what I can say, is that if I were on, I would have allowed the transaction to take place. At worst, I would have run it up as two transactions and chaged $1,

This doesnt tell me that he would waive the fee, he merely states that he would offer other suggestions to keep this customer satisfied. A $10 over the limit transaction imo is 100% customer service, and would be the right thing to do, due to the bowler spending this money back into the centre. Simply telling someone to go and find an ATM would be totally unacceptable customer service.

I support his views 100%

Westy, how would you feel if you found out that your home centre had been charging you $1 every time you used their EFTPOS, yet a fellow team member had not been charged a single cent because he/she new someone on staff?
Good customer service from every and all customers does not = some customers recieving prefferential treatment because of their freindship with a staff member.

Staff members who charge customers varying prices for services and products based on their personal friendship with the person are indeed the catalyst for huge numbers of customers being disgruntled and deeming the place to have BAD customer service.

Do you know that the all time greatest form of advertising is "word of mouth" and that the all time worst form of advertising is "word of mouth"

Neville

Neville, you are entirely changing the subject. Firstly it was you stating that tiger was out of line, and this is untrue.

He stated that he would offer suggestions to the customer that are within the guidelines instead of sending the customer away.

Now you are stating something to Westy that neither he, yet ANYONE else here have made no mention of in the first place?

All I continuously see is posts that are entirely irrelivant to the topic, as well as somewhat tryhard witty comments to finish. Just a question, take it whichever way you want. Are you high?

Broni,

I must say that has not happened to me, If I need money what I do is pay for my games and ask for each money out, that way it is one transation and you should not be charged for it .

Jeanette

Brunswick Tech said:
Tiger, your disclaimer does not hide the fact that you are prepared to disobey company policy and act on your opinions regarding the matter.
Regardless how right or wrong you think company policy is.................you shouldn't wilfully disobey it, if your prepared to make allowances on this transaction, what other transactions will you decide need to be modified to suit the circumstances that you deem are not proper?
Remember............the beginning of a habit is like an invisible thread, but every time we repeat the act we strengthen the strand, add to it another filament, until it becomes a great cable and binds us irrevocably, thought and act!!
Neville

They reek of accusation that Tiger is not above board. Whether you intended or not to sound that harsh - THEY DO.

Tonx, yes, I'm high................high on life.
Changing the subject in it's entirety!.........Nah, I don't think so.
Do you think showing favourtism to a select few customers is a proper way to treat all your customers? Do you not know of the consequences of this?
From what perspective are you veiwing the situation, as the customer recieving the favoured treatment or the one missing out?
How would you feel if you were the one being charged extra for the same service that a fellow customers gets for nothing?
I've read the post several times, and I cannot see where Tiger stated he was or would act with-in the guidelines.................can you please point this text out to me?
My statement and questions to Westy may not have been mentioned by anyone else, maybe I'm looking at the situation from a different perspective?
I do believe my statements and questions are relevant to the situation as I certainly do believe the consequences of preferential or selective customer service is indeed a recipe for mass disharmony, if not uproar amongst the regular customers.
The statement regarding the worlds number one advertising fact is true in it's entirety, I added it to the end of my post because I believe it's relevant to the situation.
If the other customers of this establishment find out that some of the customers recieve favourtism, word of mouth will spread this fact with the remaining customers faster than any bush fire will ever spread.
Here is another somewhat tryhard witty comment, as you put it, to end my post.
As the German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer stated, all truth goes through three steps.
First it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self evident.
Neville

I've resisted replying until now, as I haven't felt the need to defend myself against one person on a mission to discredit my name, with completely baseless accusations.

Here is a fact for you "Neville", I have not shown favouritism to any customer over another in any circumstance. The only "favouritism" as you like to call it that I may be accused of is looking after league bowlers as best as I can, occasionally over a group of social bowlers. If this is a crime, I stand corrected. Being the great student of physcology that you are, you will no doubt correct me, and analyse my "true self" :rolleyes: . Go ahead, go your hardest, I don't really care.

I have worked in two bowling centres, once as a tech, once as front counter, and during that time in both positions I worked as hard as I possibly could to promote and further bowling, often fighting for the league bowlers with decisions that have been made inside bowling centres. This has at times made me unpopular with certain individuals within these establishments, but it won't stop me from doing the best I possibly can to get the best deal for the regular league bowlers. Why? Because I'm a bowler, and I'm passionate about this sport. I'm also passionate about good customer service.

I believe this is the only favouritism I can be accused of.

I have never charged one customer a fee, and not another, when presented with the same circumstance. As I am now currently working on a night where there is only one league, which I have little to do with, I have not had to deal with this stuff often with regard to league bowlers since the fee came in. I think you will find the staff member that night did not understand the nature of when the fee is to be applied. However, if they wish to they can speak for themselves, I'm not here to do it for them. Then you can analyse them too, and tell them about the incredible downward moral spiral they are on with regards to disobeying centre policy! :?

Kind Regards.

Max, sorry, I didn't get time to respond to your post earlier.

Having had time to reflect on what I have written, I must agree with you. I should have and could have worded my post better. Unfortunately this site does not allow one to go back and delete or edit a post, if I could, I would edit it.

Tiger, I apoligize to you if you think I was accussing you of not currently acting above board.

However, my thoughts regarding any staff member who knowlingly takes it upon themselves to disregard and ignore any company policy with regard to prices, fee's and charges without having the authority or seeking permission to do so, is indeed acting under the table. This sort of behaviour is veiwed as theft by proprieters and the person can have their employment terminated immediately as well as be charged with a criminal offense.

No matter how wrong or immoral you veiw the situation, no-one has the right to alter prices for something which they do not own, if you feel that strong about what you consider to be immoral pricing, take the money out of your own pocket and put it into the till and you can work it out later with the appropriate person/people.

What starts out being a "once off" act can quickly turn into a ever increasing habit.

Neville

Shawn, what prices do you claim I have altered?

Can you not read? Go back and read my post again, and tell me where I have altered prices, offered favouritism, or anything else you have accused me of.

From what I can see, you are still accusing me of stealing from the company, and I take that quite seriously. What are you suggesting Shawn?

Tiger, settle down.................maybe I did misread whay you originally posted............have you ever done that?.............I can do no more than apoligize.

I at no stage accussed you of anything, I simply said "if you are prepared to" alter prices that this would amount to favourtism. I didn't say you did or had charged any one a different price or showed favourtism, rather, if you DID charge varying prices, it would amount to favourtism and I would consider it theft.

AGAIN, I'M SORRY IF I HAVE OFFENDED YOU

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to continue down the path to which this discussion is heading. Tiger, if you wish to discuss this further, please P.M me and I will get back to you.

Neville

Back
Top Bottom