2 handed vs. 1 handed?

slayer

I have been seeing a few vids on youtube of people bowling 2 handed lately... how do you think it compares to 1 handed?

i tend to agree... but a friend of a friend told him that apparently some of the pros are doing it now and that they can get better scores doing it that way???

sounded a bit odd to me!

Depends on your style.

I would like to throw a one hand shot, but on me it looks pathetic....works perfectly for me shooting 3-6-10.

Have been throwing two handed now for about 18 months and haven't looked back. Shot my highest 3 and 4 game series (775 and 990) and have thrown my first 300 in the last month.

Couldn't imagine doing all that with my one hand shot!!

I shot my highs of 787/3 and 1003/4 two handed and my high game of 298 so I won't be switching back to one handed any time soon. People still say "isn't it funny how people try to emulate.." The last time someone said that to me I threw the front 9 at them as a response, people that do this aren't emulating anyone! Bowling never ceases to amaze me with it's closed-minded approach. And people wonder why it's going backwards! If it works for you and you enjoy it, do it!

I just wish people would get over bagging it. I've had people come up to me in tournaments and tell me about how the USBC is planning to ban it and everything.. but I don't think they stopped to think how silly it would be by banning Belmo and Osku as only two examples.. newsflash - two handed bowling will never be banned so get used to it.

There is going to be much, much more of it in the future.

It dont matter how you bowl, 1 or 2 handed, it is how you feel comfortable, I know wallbanger can do both, but it is what the bowler feels comfortable in there release.

I find one handed easier but then until i sure Andrew low from chester hill do it i never knew you could,

i tend to agree... but a friend of a friend told him that apparently some of the pros are doing it now and that they can get better scores doing it that way???

sounded a bit odd to me!

Your friend missed one key aspect to their success.

They've been bowling 2 handed since they could walk.
I see a lot of people doing it for attention now, but there are very few who have the art of two handed bowling under enough control to score well.
Another reason people try becoming a two-handed player is because its 100% easier to get impressive revs. Though you know, high revs don't make a good player.

I see a lot of people doing it for attention now, but there are very few who have the art of two handed bowling under enough control to score well.

There's another example of what I was saying. Who cares, if they enjoy what they are doing? What do you define as "good'? They might have been 150 average before, and have got themselves to 180. I went from 180 something to 205 in my very first year of doing it. Do they have to average 220 to be "good"?

The main difficulty in teaching 2 handed technique is the relative lack of material on the subject. I understand that Belmo is being used by the USBC in order to help them create a manual on the technique. Far from it ever being banned, I see it becoming more popular as the sport evolves. The following link is a thread on this subject which comtains a USBC study on the technique

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=21386

That being said however, I don't see the more traditional one handed technique ever disappearing.

wow! that was an interesting read! i havent ever really seen any explanation on the 2 handed bowl before...

based on this information my question is:

it seems as if 2 handed is a much easier, questionably more consistent, way of bowling and the information (as far as i could see) doesnt talk of any restrictions in performance compared to 1 handed and also no increase in long term risk of injury...

so why would someone starting out use the 1 handed method? fair enough if you have been bowling for years 1 handed then going to 2 handed might be difficult... but what about for the person who is starting out and hasnt put too much into muscle memory yet...????

"no increase in long term risk of injury." that i'd have to argue, you can have some major troubles especially with your back if you don't have a good technique

I'd be concerned for the active competitive lifespan of the bowler.

I wonder what thought Belmo himself has about how long he can sustain his high level of performance bowling with the intensity he displays now. I defer to him on this as he and Oscar are the only ones who may be able to answer this.

I would wonder if Belmo sees himself still travelling the world in 10 or fifteen years time (if he does not factor in all outside bowling factors such as his wife and possible future children).

I guess this would depend on how his body is holding up now and what toll events like the US Open and all the travelling take on his body.

I would like to think two handers could compete succesfully for the same length of time strokers can but based on how only a limited amount of the one handed power players have shown longevity that may not be the case.

Let's hope Belmo and Oscar can show their is longevity for two handers in the sport as only time will tell. Maybe we will be revisting this post or contributing to a new one in ten years time.

It seems there may be a toll paid for the amount of power a bowler translates to the ball in their delivery such as a much shorter time to take advantage of that style than a stroker at his peak.

There's another example of what I was saying. Who cares, if they enjoy what they are doing? What do you define as "good'? They might have been 150 average before, and have got themselves to 180. I went from 180 something to 205 in my very first year of doing it. Do they have to average 220 to be "good"?

I'm referring to people who have been bowling 1 handed for a considerable amount of time & have no need to change. No need to take offense to what I said, one might start to assume. For the people who do it with the key goal of improving their game, good on them. If they've reached a limit they can't pass, & feel comfortable doing it, then good on them for that too.
Still on the subject, you may see someone raising their average, they obviously aren't doing it to show off, right? But, I have, & so have other people, seen bowlers convert, & drop their average a good 20 pins. You can't tell me these people are doing it for the sake of improving. If their average isn;t improving, they aren't enjoying what they are doing.

I'm referring to people who have been bowling 1 handed for a considerable amount of time & have no need to change. No need to take offense to what I said, one might start to assume. For the people who do it with the key goal of improving their game, good on them. If they've reached a limit they can't pass, & feel comfortable doing it, then good on them for that too.
Still on the subject, you may see someone raising their average, they obviously aren't doing it to show off, right? But, I have, & so have other people, seen bowlers convert, & drop their average a good 20 pins. You can't tell me these people are doing it for the sake of improving. If their average isn;t improving, they aren't enjoying what they are doing.

Anyone that tries it and drops their average severely and after an extended period can't improve.. that's a different story. However, if they are indeed enjoying themselves then that's fine, good luck to them.

As for injuries and the back, I don't see why with the correct technique anyone should have a problem. It was actually advised a couple of years ago by my family doctor to keep doing it as it was keeping me flexible and if anything it was strengthening my back, not doing damage. A physio backed up this opinion after seeing my technique.

At the end of the day, most of the same principles apply to two handed bowling as one handed. People keep trying to overcomplicate it. Bowling is about knocking down ten pins in any way you can within the rules of the game. Those that attack or critisize people for bowling in a different way need to start focussing on their own games I think.

"no increase in long term risk of injury." that i'd have to argue, you can have some major troubles especially with your back if you don't have a good technique

so hang on... are you guys saying that is questionable based on increased strain on the back associated with 2 handed bowling?

from what i read it didnt look like there was much more strain on the back then with 1 handed... to me it just looked like 2 handed was a shorter back swing but by supporting the ball with the other hand it allowed for more revs to the ball due to a lower grip on the ball... which compensates for the reduced back swing...

My younger brother has only been bowling for about 3 three years and started out as 1 handed. After watching Belmo bowl on Foxtel he has changed to 2 handed bowling.

He has picked it up very well. While he was working at a bowling centre he used to go up and practise on his days off so as to get used to it. In fact his highest games is higher than mine and I have had coaching for two years.

I think with 2 handed bowling it comes down to how much you want to do it as to how well you bowl like that.

I could not do it as I can't get enough rev's on the ball at all, but if I wanted to learn it I think I could eventually it just takes a lot of patience I feel.

2 handed is a great style to watch and ever time I see Belmo bowl I enjoy watching his style. I find it is a really impressive style and give him and everyone else who bowls like this my up most respect.

I find this thread quite amusing, picturing what the next development will be. I prefer my one hand shot, although I have been known to use both when in need of more power (or vent of frustration)

It seems to me that both Belmo and Osku had to develop this, as logically when they were 2 it would've been very difficult to handle a comparitively large and heavy ball. That said, there's clear mechanical advantages now that they've pioneered it (very successfully), in that it is a crapload easier to impart significantly higher revolutions on the ball if you don't have the thumb in.

I don't want to take anything away from players who are talented enough to make it work, you still need to be consistent and read the changes etc, it's still very difficult to do - but if you do it right then the results pay off far better than a single hand tends to. We've all seen the extra carry you can generate with revolutions, and deciding to take this advantage is offset by the increased risk (ie, if Belmo throws it slightly off, it can go horribly horribly wrong).

More power to you two-handers for taking your own, comfortable approach to the game. It's no different to other people buying a wrist guard to generate more revolutions, or a high density core for better carry, or a texture coverstock for better bite.

So as someone said above, "Get over it". It's here, and the only bad thing I see is the kids trying to emulate the shot who have no idea what they're doing. But the same happens with one hand.

So in a few years when the two handed shot has taken over the world (and it will), what will the next outrageous craze be...?

It dont matter how you bowl, 1 or 2 handed, it is how you feel comfortable, I know wallbanger can do both, but it is what the bowler feels comfortable in there release.
I find one handed easier but then until i sure Andrew low from chester hill do it i never knew you could,

I didnt know i could bowl one handed let alone 2. But on a more serious note you do need to throw the ball the with way you are more comfortable. As far as the injury side of things go i havent noticed any more or less pressure on my back or elbow. The one thing i can say is that my arthritic middle finger copes better with the 2 handed stuff. Its a pity my scores dont.:mad:

"Homer The Wallbanger"

My take on all of this.

The USBC have asked me to help with the 'understanding' of 2 handed bowling. Many kids in the US are being turned away from their coaches because they can't coach 2 handed, or so they say.....what a crock!
2 handed bowling is 10 times easier to coach, you just need to look at it with open eyes and you will see that past the 2 hands, its so much the same.

After doing hours of testing at the USBC head quarters, the USBC are going to take that data and see what they can learn from it.

What i already know about 2 handed bowling..........

To do what i can do to a ball one handed, takes massive amounts of strength, timing and skill. To put over 600 RPM on the ball 1 handed, you basically have to give it everything you have, making hitting your target much harder.
I'm at 600 RPM and am throwing the ball at about 70%. I have another 30% left in me, i choose not to go and hit it as hard as i could because i have found at 600RPM, my ball hits harder enough to knock over 10 little white things, any more, i would lose some of my accuracy.

(on a side note, Matty Riley, anytime you want a REV contest, let me know, ill happily take your money, GOD forbid Osku wants to join us and take both our money :) )

With practice, a 2 handed bowler can play any part of the lane, up 1, 2 and 3 or over the left gutter flying the ball 30 FT in the air, we can do this with more power than a 1 handed bowler, meaning if 2 players of equal accuracy, 1 was one handed and the other 2 handed, who do you think will win? I know where my money is.

2 handed bowling is actually much easier mechanically, there are less moving parts than a 1 handed power player, less areas for a mistake to occur, which in theory makes it easier to coach.

2 handed bowling is a style i believe that will generate higher scores at a faster rate, simply because the rev rate is higher. The oil patterns we face in league are soft, meaning you dont have to be as accurate to strike.
(this is of course not aimed at everyone, just those who find 1 handed bowling is not for them, but still love the game or if you are bowler with a low rev rate).

Something that has really bothered me was why more females are not trying it. Last time i checked the hitting power of every single girl bowler in this country is appalling. Name me 1 lady who can strike with the guys consistently.
Cara doesnt count cause she is left handed :)
If a young lady started 2 handed, by the time she grew up, she would win everything. Bowling is about spares, but mostly about who strikes more. Spares will always get you to the title, but if you dont throw the strikes before it, 189 clean games are not going to get you anything.
I am just dying for a jnr girl to come out and whip the jnr boys.
If a guy can improve his average by 20 pins, why cant a girl do it, or even better improve it 20 pins better than her lady opponents.
PLEASE SOMEONE get your daughter/sister/mother/grandmother to bowl 2 handed!!!!!!!
Is there any out there????Let me know

As for longevity, well thats a question that is really hard to answer. I have been bowling around the world for over 5 years now and have had no problems with my body. What will happen in the next 10, i cant say.
What i can say though is at the US OPEN, while i was tired, ask how the 1 handed bowlers were feeling. Thumbs were ripped open, shoulders killing them, elbows that had ice on them.....me i was tired, no aches, no ripped skin, no ice.
There are 2 guys in the US however who have been bowling 2 handed longer than I and both have had no problems, from what i have been told.

The USBC believe that 2 handed bowling is the of the future, for more reasons than one.
They believe the style has revolutionized the sport, but better still is keeping kids in the game longer, because they are having fun again.

Bowling needs a edge to keep kids enjoying it. Reactive balls did it at first (everyone could see a ball hook) now 2 handed is giving the kids what they want, more hook.
Now dont get me wrong, hooking the ball is great fun, but its not always the key to success. If the player learns this as he grows, great, he will be a good bowler, if not he will continue to love the game and thats all we can ask for people joining the sport.

I will never try and change a 1 handed bowler to a 2 handed bowler because that was something that i HATED happening to me.
I cant tell you how good it feels to shove my results up those who told me to change or forever be a 'crappy bowler'

It a choice for the bowler to make. And now more than ever, there are more people who are willing to learn and help you with it.

The biggest question i get asked is "how do I know if 2 handed is right for me?"
Simple. Try it for a game or 2. If you like it and seem to be having more fun, its perfect for you.
At the end of the day, you will practice something so much more often if your having fun, than if your doing it just because you have too.

I dont really care what happens to the style, if it takes off, wonderful, if not, even better, because ill win more tournaments.

Anymore questions?? Shoot!

Belmo

ps- I would hope that when you see another 2 handed bowling trying it out, dont think he is trying to 'copy me'. He/She is only doing what they feel is best for their game.....just like i did growing up!

Back
Top Bottom