You future with bowling...

Why should juniors receive more money anyway? The very thing juniors should be taught is to enjoy sport, win lose or draw. You can also make lots of friends out of sports, too. The last thing you want is juniors (and parents for that matter) to be worried about big cash incentives because that's not really teaching kids what sport is about.

I think the one thing that is difficult about tenpin bowling as a sport is that its not like other sports like soccer, cricket or other sports. You can't take a bowling lane somewhere and practice like you could take your soccer ball or bat, ball and stumps into the backyard, or the local park, to hone your skills. Unless you are extraordinarily lucky, you're not going to be getting free practice games, which is not a complaint, just the truth, and nothing is going to change, its just part of this sport we love.

This post is mostly for Craiggles:

Where exactly are you looking at in regards to the junior scene?
You make it sound like juniors is 99% populated by 13 year olds or something. Upon closer inspection, you might see a lot of young adults who still happen to be of a junior age, that would like to BREAK EVEN when they go to a tournament. There already IS a lot of money in juniors, that is, the FORKING OUT OF. On average this year I've probably spent around $400-500 to go to each tournament, and maybe got 10% of that back on each occasion. "Big Cash Incentives" is the last thing on my mind, that's for sure.

Once again, as far as "teaching kids what sport is about", a lot of juniors are around the 16, 17, 18 year old groups, & AREN'T just kids anymore, they ALREADY know what sport is really about: Friendships, sportsmanship, dedication, having fun, and all at GREAT PERSONAL EXPENSE.

Don't get me wrong, you've got essentially good arguments, they just seem to be lacking any consideration for the older people in juniors & the fact that there is nearly no money in juniors as it is, especially compared to the amount out-layed.

I think I have been misunderstood, and I don't disagree with Brett about what he's saying. I certainly wasn't aiming my arguments at the older end nor the high rolling end of the junior ranks, I do understand it costs a lot to enter tournaments, buy equipment, and so on.

I was pushing my arguments more towards the kids (12 and under) who are just starting off. This is around the point that Matti reckoned he gave up bowling, and if that's got to do with money then he's hopelessly unrealistic. Anyway, that's all I need to say about Matti's comments on this issue, considering he's banned I don't feel I should need to continue discussing what he's done and said on the forum.

I hope I didn't offend anybody by not explaining my comments properly, and if I did, I'm sorry about that.

Matti wrote:
You dont win much money really at a younger age of bowling , i see no point pay so much for s trophey

I just wanted to say that in the recent tournament at Garden City Lanes the prize fund was huge for the Battle of the Borders.
It was a 5 man teams tournament and first place took awat $500 each.
Second place took $350 each.
Thats not very much at all is it???

Id like to add the prize money for the winners at Sydney Cup... for the boys we have $1000 first place and the girls we have $750...now try telling me this aint much...

Exactly it all depends on what tournament you happen to be bowling in.
Some pay off bigger than others thats just the way it is.
But like Jen said those who love the sport dont do it for the money they do it cos they love it...

JeN_JeN said:
Id like to add the prize money for the winners at Sydney Cup... for the boys we have $1000 first place and the girls we have $750...now try telling me this aint much...

Sure, that's nice for first place, but how about 3rd or 4th place. Unless I place higher than 4th, I know I won't be able to cover my costs this weekend.

yep i agree totally i only bowl for fun, and if i cash back i go home and even happier bowler.

Matti said:
thats matti for u.........
Duff Star

Coming from you? someone who think's they know all , thinks there a hell model... ?

I played other sports , eg : Soccer , Cricket , and did quite well in them , when i was 14 i played japan youth team... Someone who works in a bowling , really dosen't want to spend extra time bowling there as well , wait till you get a job and find out how hard it is .. Bowling really , is just a sociable event , everyone goes there to talk... And ppl saying i have no friends... Weird , im guessing you know my personal life too..

u say u work in a bowling alley? so do i and i am a youth bowler. i live to bowl. i got banned from bowling by our tech cuz sum of my idiot m8z mucked around and threw us all out. i couldnt stand not bowling so i apologised and brought all my m8z bak 2 apologise. and then the tech let me off. i work in the bowling alley cuz i love bowling and watching top pro bowlers bowl. i pick up tips here and their. it makes u want to bowl even more seeing every 1 else bowl.!

Back
Top Bottom