Wrist brace

Sniff

I have been only bowling for 7 months and have had to use a wrist brace to give me some control over wrist angles ETC. I have never bowled straight...started bowling fingertips and spin right from the beginning (and it hurt heaps) and now well into 200 scores.
Should I be practising without the brace to strenghten hand and wrist or stay with the brace full time???

I bowled with a simple wrist brace for about 20yrs. was bowling 175-185 avg. About 5 yrs ago started bowling without it, found I was getting more feel in my hand and fingers when delivering the ball onto the lane. Slowly my average has climb to 202. Unless you have a problem in your wrist that really needs supporting, try without it.

If it hurting you may well be delivering the ball with stresses on your wrist that should not be there, perhaps the angle you hold your wrist is unnatural.
My wrist is straight and firm when i bowl my hook ball. Ask someone like a proshop owner to have a look at your delivery.

I think some bowlers are like singers who go on stage, they must take the guitar, can't sing without it, even if they are not playing it.

As for the top of the price range, spring loaded, turn the dial wrist guards, I haven't got a clue what they are all about

As for the top of the price range, spring loaded, turn the dial wrist guards, I haven't got a clue what they are all about
They're about maintaining people's insecurities. I can't ever remember advising in favour of a wrist device, unless for warmth or to get less revs. A couple of hand weights are much cheaper and will allow you to develop better strength and feel.

The best way to support your wrist is to press your index finger against the ball and use the strong side of your hand.

i'v recently started using a wrist guard to keep my wrist straight while i'm bowling and my average has since climbed from the low 150's to now in the 180's. Of course, this won't happen for every one, but i feel i have a lot better control on my shot now.

That is interesting about what you said about revs on the ball..always felt the brace was stopping me getting around and getting the ball to spin to full potential..and every now and again throw a dead straight ball..gonna have to try it I think...

I have been only bowling for 7 months and have had to use a wrist brace to give me some control over wrist angles ETC. I have never bowled straight...started bowling fingertips and spin right from the beginning (and it hurt heaps) and now well into 200 scores.
Should I be practising without the brace to strenghten hand and wrist or stay with the brace full time???
It might be a good idea to find someone to coach you without a brace. I personally think they are a crutch, been bowling for more than 20yrs and never used one, you have better control when you can feel what your ball is doing in your hand. Also its possible your ball is drilled wrong.

I wear a wrist strap because I absolutely must. It's either wear one or not bowl at all. I can bowl without one if I completely break my wrist and shoot straight at spares but any type of pressure on my wrist is severe. When I wear a wrist strap I feel no pain what so ever and it's a blessing in disguise really because my game has never been better since I've been wearing one.

Wrist braces are great if a bowler has an injury or slight disability!
I do not advocate the wearing of a brace simply because a bowler needs better revs or release angles!
You will never improve your release or strengthen your technique by wearing a mechanical aid.
As others have said, use weights and improve wrist strength naturally.
In your case id recommend you practice without your brace for short periods but put it back on when your wrist starts to feel "TIRED".
The more you practice without it the stronger you will get, before you know it the brace will become a permanant passenger in your bowling bag.
Find a good coach in your area and work together to achieve a good sound release without the brace.

Always remember, keep smiling, it makes others wonder what youve up to :)

I wear one for the reasons Mr. Doust made.

It's cold in Hobart during winter, and I need help to take revs OFF the ball.

Without the support, I catch it too good.

Back
Top Bottom