WHY WHY WHY????

F

Funky Chicken

In 1996 (26/7/96) after 18 years of trying I bowled my first 300 game.

Since that time I have bowled a lot of 290 and 280 games, but just haven't been lucky enough to repeat my 1996 feat.

This year alone I have had the front 9 only to be thwarted by a flush 7 pin and a flush 8 pin ( I am right handed). Last week in league I even threw 13 in a row (finished game with 9 and then start next game with 4).

So last night I am bowling doubles in my local championships and start my second game with the front 10 (all good quality pocket shots). So here I am standing on the edge of greatness (in my own mind anyway!!) and what do I do ? I throw the ball too far right and end up with the 2,8 for a 288.

I always thought that throwing the first 300 would be the hardest, but it seems no.2 is proving just as elusive. I know there is nothing wrong with my physical game, and even my mental game is pretty good. But how do you get your mental game to go to the next level e.g. Honeychurch, Bottomley, Bradford, Frawley etc ??

Thank you for listening to my raving, any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

:D :D

I feel your pain :p Ive only been lucky enough to venture that way once in god knows how many years of bowling. My last shot came in high and tripped the 4-10 out, i made sure i pushed it out alittle further, what i didnt count on was the extra 5k's or so in ball speed. The ball sailed right passed the head pin (yeah ok it fell over in fright) and left me with a 2-4-7-10. Ive thrown a few strings, but recently the times ive started to get anywhere near it (say the first 7 or 8, you know when you start to get that feeling :eek: ) i throw a good shot and leave something nasty. My last one was after 8 in a row, into the 9th i left a 4-9 :roll: I dont think there is anything you can do about it. If you throw a good shot only to be jibbed at the pins, well you just have to grin and bear it :) Of course if you throw a terrible shot, well in theory you will know about your bad habit coming into the 12th shot and you should know what you have to compensate for. Of course that all goes out the window when you get on the approach, i would be more worried about staying on my feet :D

As for what can help, well in my honest opnion, the only way to get that little bit extra and convert it is to be in that situation many times before. We all focus on 300 as the perfect game, but i can bet you there have been plenty of 280's and 290's to go with the dozen 300's (or more) actually bowled. Ohh well, in the end of the day, it makes good conversation after you have finished bowling and are partaking in alittle post bowling drinkies :wink:

Why? Why?

The pressure of what you have accomplished catching up with your mind. What to do after a string of strikes!

I have been meaning to write an article for totalbowling and Peter Brown on this very subject - and my apologies I have been too busy to spend time to share the information I have been priveledged to collect on this subject.

I have collected this information from sport psyches, master coaches, books and many times from the athletes and bowlers I train - the best source of all. All people have their own story.

The first sentence is the actual problem - how you react to pressure is different for everyone. Some bowlers just sweat - others their mind races onward to the next shot and then the next before completing the 'process of the one they are on' and another bowler will have adrenalin rushes and their heart will start pounding. So in a nutshell you have the 'heart' people, the skin people and the mind people - all reacting differently - which of these are you. :shock:

You will recall when you are in these situations that your thought process changes. Instead of one shot then the next awaiting the result (not writing the cheque early) with no expectation other than throwing a consistent shot and knowing the ball came off your hand well and you hit with the same speed and 'feel' at the same area of the lane - you noted how the ball hit your key pins - how the pins moved - where the ball hit the back of the pit. You do this in ONE feeling and thought moment - automatic.

Some bowlers train themselves to groove more and more when they have a great string of strikes - it actually gets easier. That is why they say the first is the hardest because you have to get over the realisation that you have never had a string this big before - if you take a nonchalant attitude - what comes - comes! you will be more likely to finish the 300 because of your frame of mind allowing whatever happens to happen.

This then points to the solution - (which by the way will not guarantee your % of attainment will increase - whatever slide rule you use) but will certainly allow your body to bowl to its greatest potential without the intervention of your mind.
Bowl concentrating on your automatic processes. Know about your 'feel' speed - shot and make it automatic. Do not allow your mind to interfere with your perfect game - and practice staying in automatic mode. Tension reducing techniques in my experience will vary greatly from one bowler to another and can be a simple - put your hand in your ball and clench really tightly before you get into position in stance,on the last couple of strikes, and you will not have enough strength in your hand to 'clutch' - this simple one really works - to much more complex 'routines' that would suit another bowler who 'reacts' differently. Try to pinpoint WHAT your reaction or thoughts are in these situations and FIX it. Your coach will help or point you to a sport friendly sport psyche to assist.

I am sending this message from Mackay where TBAQ are working with the Mackay association deliver bowler programs and coach programs - total bowling articles and users are EVERYWHERE!
:D :) :D

I hope this view on how things are geared for most bowlers will help Australian bowlers deliver even more 300's - Who is the current leading Women and Men in the 300 stakes - It would be interesting to hear their strategies - What do you say???? :wink:

Cheers
Gail

hey i would just like to say i have not seen one 300 that has not had at least 1 lucky fall i think that you do need a good mental game but at the same time you do need that luck cos it doesnt matter how much you trian or how good your mental game is you will always have that 1 really good shot and leave a cold single pin and 9 times out of 10 it is not your fault its the pins they might have a little crack in them or a chip out of them you might say this shouldnt matter but it does it makes that pin fall differently thats just my opinion anywayz

cheers mel :D

Not Again.......

Well two weeks after my initial post I go to bowling in my Friday night doubles league, and start my second game with the front 10 strikes.

Prior to stepping onto the approach I take a big breath and just think about making 1 good shot. I stand up on the approach go through my normal routine and then bowl the ball. As I let it go I have what Dick Ritger refers to as the PSF (Perfect Strike Feeling).

The ball goes flush hole - I look for the 10 pin - it's gone, I look for the 7 pin - it's gone, and just as I start to turn to prepare for the 12th shot I see the 8 pin standing solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

So alas I must be content with 289.

But I believe that you should always take something positive out of even the most negative situation, and mine was the fact that I made the best shot that I could possibly make and hopefully when the situation arises again I can repeat this shot and hopefully carry.

To all those people who have bowled more than one 300 I take my hat off to you, as I now truly recognise what an amazing achievment that is.

Cheers

Steve Hunt

PS Do yourself a favour and check out the new Hammer "Diesel" reactive pearl as it one of the best Hammer balls I have ever bowled with.

LOL, only a bowler could focus on a single game after throwing a series like that steve.

Clicky

So i take it, 235,289,226,267 = 1017 Wish i could throw that :D

Stephen also remember you are bowling at one of the toughest carrying centres in the country. If you would have lived in Brisbane or certain parts of the Gold Coast :) you would have racked up 20+. I dont know what your problem is, you always seem to through good shots when you need them when I'm around. If anything your adreniline goes a notch or two after the front 8 and your ball speed gets quicker and quicker.

I've thrown 10 x 300's and to be honest depending on where I am and the circumstances I still get a little nervous. I usually try and focus on one part of my game before making a shot, be it the release or my target. That distracts my mind from the score and makes me focus on achieving what I'm thinking about at the time.

Stick with it Stephen after seeing some of your scores of the last couple of weeks looks like the 300 is just around the corner. When it happens it happens, just through a great shot and hope for the best, thats all you can do. Relax, have some fun and keep that fluro stomach of yours well under your shirt!

Back
Top Bottom